How to build muscle?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Postby sarallyn » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:57 pm

my only suggestions would be;

-be consistent with the type/amount of exercise
-up the amount of exercise regularly (several minutes each week), but DON'T push it if you think your dog can't handle it
-use different exercises to work different muscles
-make sure your dog is in good health before exercise (littles things like checking pads, and larger things like checking the hips for HD)

orion445
Newborn Bully

Postby orion445 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:37 pm

You mentioned that she was finished growing, I want to work my girl
too. How will I know when she is finished growing?

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:12 pm

orion445 wrote:You mentioned that she was finished growing, I want to work my girl
too. How will I know when she is finished growing?

Dogs APBT sized are usually done growing by the time they're two years old. Large breeds like Mastiffs grow well past two years, and small breeds like Chihuahuas are done by a year, but a medium size dog is usually done or close to done by 2.

pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pjrocco » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:35 am

I work my male at night before and after dinner. We do probably two hours of fetch off and on, 30 minutes of spring pole and 30 minutes of flirt pole. Every three day we do light weight pulls and a lot of ball jumping. I have been slacking lately since life has been busy, but if you stick to a routine he/she should start to build. On the other hand, I have seen people work their dogs like crazy and not build mass but lean trim muscle. Genetics has a big part in this one as well.

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:53 pm

He looks great!

squid
Addicted to PBF

Postby squid » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:31 am

Kingsgurl wrote:Don't underestimate good old fashioned hand walking. :thumbsup:

i agree, i walk yuhndi 3 hours a day on a harness and she is starting to build up, i admit it takes awhile but they get there, also try the flirt pole, thats good, i didnt have a fence for a few days (as some know) and yuhndi was on a 25ft leash and was playing with it

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:01 pm

That's one great looking dog there :)

I can't wait to have a yard for Molly to exercise in.

A-Ron
Adolescent Bully

Postby A-Ron » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:50 pm

Hey guys,

How much of a role does rest play? my girl is starting to build very nicely with double excersise sessions. But I have noticed that if she is well rested then she also more energy to do these sessions. I am just saying that from what I have noticed, rest plays a major role in development

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:37 pm

Oh, oh, OH!!!

I want to mention, because I'm not sure if it has been yet in this thread:
DO NOT just start your dog on strenuous exercise right away.

Like humans, they need to have the muscles conditioned to that point.

I started out with walks, then some light flirtpole (NO MORE than 5 minutes at a time). Then finally months of walking and fetch and flirtpole, THEN I added springpole workouts.

If your dog is doing better when she's rested, let her rest. Her body probably needs it, especially in this heat. :))

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:00 pm

Don't worry, Chewbecca, I'd never overwork Riddle. I'm way too paranoid to risk that! For example, today was a rest day. She seemed extra tired from yesterday- we hiked a few miles in to a hidden lake, and not only did she swim for a couple hours, she carried a backpack both ways on the hike. So today she got to get her rest, since she's not used to carrying weight.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:59 am

aw, I know you're doing right by Riddle. :))

My comment was a general one for anyone who might have stumbled upon the thread and might not have known better about exercise. :))

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:36 am

A-Ron wrote:Hey guys,

How much of a role does rest play? my girl is starting to build very nicely with double excersise sessions. But I have noticed that if she is well rested then she also more energy to do these sessions. I am just saying that from what I have noticed, rest plays a major role in development

Good point! Rest is very important and often overlooked, especially by the people that tend to do very strenuous exercise with their dogs on a daily basis. When I get my dogs in shape for the summer they rest 3 days of the week, pretty much just lounging around the house. That allows me to push them a little harder on the days we exercise without risking injury because they are well rested and I gave them time to recover.
I work out myself so I know how important rest is. If you give your body enough time to recover you will be able to go a bit further the next time you work out and in return improve your conditioning and physique.

Return to “Health Issues”