To crop or not to crop??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Lizzie
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lizzie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:01 pm

3-4 day old puppies don't have happy tail, though.

Of course there are legitimate medical reasons to remove the tail or ears...or leg or eye, for that matter. Those should be the only reasons the procedure is done...cosmetic reasons should not come into play whatsoever, IMO.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:54 pm

msvette2u wrote:While there are justifiable medical reasons for dew claw and even tail removal (no happy tail!), ear cropping is solely for appearance and harder, IMO, to justify.
Except for medical necessity as one member had recently had to have done on her dog.

Exactly, and this is why I'm torn. Tail docking is by far the more distasteful procedure to perform... dewclaws aren't bad at all...

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:26 am

Geez. I dont know. I would rather a vet offer the procedure then see what Joe Blow can come up with to do it at home.

As far as the puppies screaming, well - I never considered cropping/docking or removing - but now I would NEVER do it. To say a puppy doesnt think about it again, or forgets it, is going a little far, how the heck do WE know what the puppy is thinking next time he goes to the vet?

luvmypitties
Super Bully

Postby luvmypitties » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:42 am

When I worked for a lab breeder we did our own dewclaws. The puppies cried when it happened and some didnt even flinch.

I think that if people are going to continue wanting cropped ears I think there needs to be good vets who actually care about the animals who do the procedure. And I agree about letting the owners know about all the risks involved with the cropping procedure itself and then the effects on a cropped dog for the rest of its life.

Return to “Health Issues”