Ever use Imodium for dogs?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
LexieBug1
Newborn Bully

Ever use Imodium for dogs?

Postby LexieBug1 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:26 am

Lex has diarrhea just since last night. No blood and doesn't seem painful, just going ALOT. 2 accidents in the house (this NEVER happens), this was between 11pm and 2am. My husband took her out at 2am and she went again. She woke me up at 4am and went again. Then a total of 3 times this morning between 5:30 and 7:00 (as we were getting ready for work). I left work to check on her at 10 this morning, no accidents in her crate but she immediately went out and pooped (runny) 3 times. I stayed with her for about an hour and no more pottying.. so I put her back in her crate. My husband will take his lunch around 1 and see how she is then, no better and we're off to the vet... Someone suggested giving her immodium... ever heard of this?

she's drinking fine, peeing fine and ate some of her dog food this morning, but I picked it up because I didn't want her to have much.

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:05 pm

i always advise vet visits first, that often is a lot of diarrhea...is she drinking and eating still? any change in diet? too many treats? rawhides? is she lethargic? (sorry these are questions i would ask all of our clients at the hospital)

we use it all the time because JD really has a sensitive stomach and alot of it is stress related, if there is NO CHANCE that she ate something that may be stuck, then it is ok to give...i believe they are 2 mg tablets of loperamide, you can give 1 see how she does, if it continues she should definately be seen by a vet.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:41 pm

I'd not give immodium just because, I'd do the 24hr fast and get her to the vet if possible.
If not possible, do a 24hr. fast then re-feed carefully with boiled rice at first.

LexieBug1
Newborn Bully

Postby LexieBug1 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:09 pm

Thanks guys, I'll stick with the fasting thing for now. (though she's fairly convinced she's starving to death lol )

No change in diet or treats - Cali Natural low cal chicken/ rice. No rawhides, occassional mini milk bones but none in the last few days. Has a slight bug fettish, but she doesn't actually eat them, just plays with them til they quit moving :sad:

She's drinking fine, wants to eat, isn't lethargic and normally has a pretty strong stomach (hubby's bad at the people food sharing).

He checked on her at 1:30 and though she potty'd again (outside, not in her crate) it was only once and he said it wasn't much. I'm off work tomorrow so I'll stay up with her tonight and see how she's doing.

Someone else mentioned plain ground beef and boiled white rice... just rice or both?

mr. beefy
Adolescent Bully

Postby mr. beefy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:44 pm

no, feed her *nothing* for 24 hours. Let her system completely clear. If she's not feeling well then adding more stuff on top or masking it with meds will not fix it. Dogs are not known to self regulate well so they'll eat even if they shouldn't ;) so don't give her anything solid.

You can give low sodium chicken broth cut with water if she's doing well about halfway through.

If it's something she ate she should return to normal bms pretty quickly after a 24 hour fast, if it's viral then she'll still have the runs and you should take her to the vet.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:10 am

I agree, no food or treats for a day, but make sure to give plenty of water.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:32 am

If they are acting normal, I give pumpkin (canned, unsweetened) mixed in with a smaller portion of their meal.

luckystar02
Adolescent Bully

Postby luckystar02 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:02 am

Def try the fast.... then just plain white boiled rice. London has had the squirts a few times and this always helped. But like others said if it lasts longer than a day after the rice take her in.

Like Kingsgurl said pumpkin is good too...but your pups poop may be a strange color from it just to give ya the heads up.

Return to “Health Issues”