healing up rash from collar

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mr. beefy
Adolescent Bully

Postby mr. beefy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:52 pm

BabyReba wrote: Like I said, it's not the material in the collar, it's the fact that he's got anything on his neck 24/7 that causes the problem. Dunno if he gets moisture and food and muck in there (probably) because he's such a pig or what, but anything at all left on the front of this dog's neck long enough will eventually cause rub.

That sucks. But i also know about having past problems recurring just when you forget about them (happy tail, what?).

You could bypass the collar altogether and start a trend by having collar/tags tattooed on! roflmao

(I'm 100% joking, btw)

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:37 pm

mr. beefy wrote:You could bypass the collar altogether and start a trend by having collar/tags tattooed on! roflmao

Actually, could he wear a harness instead of a collar for a while? Basil and Streets wear their Ruffwear harnesses all day at work and are totally fine. You could put any tags or whatever on the harness......:dunno:

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:35 pm

yeah, he can and he is. well, not a harness unless we're actually walking, but a fursaver or nothing at all. the dogs always seem overdressed to me when they're wearing harnesses in the house!

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:05 pm

aww poor doc.

Dewi gets his neck all irritated wearing a collar 24/7 why he's usually naked if he's around the house...

no suggestions but give the big ole boy a hug for me...

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:18 am

Oh, that sucks! Poor lil' hamburger-neck.

I would think its the darkness, trapped heat, maybe moisture, and the added rubbing/friction (okay, no comments!) that's the problem? I don't know how to solve it (the powder + nakedness sounds like a good combo, in addition to the topical antibiotic/antifungal stuff, just to dry everything out) but I hope he heals up soon.

If he keeps scratching at it and re-opening it, I guess an E-collar probably wouldn't work, due to the location... if he tolerates it you can have him wear socks on his hind feet so his nails can't do so much damage. (However, in order for that to work, they must be *novelty* socks and you have to take AND post photos, and preferably video, of "Doc Sox," otherwise any and all benefit from the socks is negated... it's true, really)

MsPsychotic
Matured Bully

Postby MsPsychotic » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:41 pm

I can't have Bear in a collar for more than an hour or two a day. We were told he's a sharpei mix, which would explain his excess neck skin. If we put a collar on, it pinches the neck skin and creates several folds. Those folds rub together and create raw spots. So, I just leave a choker on him at all times. It holds his tags. It's one of those chokers with the nylon rope threaded in the links to prevent fur pulling. He wears an Aspen harness for walks and when I put him on his tie-out for playing ball or with the flirt pole.

I know I'm not supposed to leave the choker on at all times, but he's never alone for more than an hour or two at a time while I'm running errands and he's in his kennel. I don't think there's a chance of him strangling himself in his kennel.

Return to “Health Issues”