Can I put Bitter Apple on my dog?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Amie

Can I put Bitter Apple on my dog?

Postby Amie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:50 pm

The kitten thinks Oscar's tail is the greatest toy ever. Oscar is incredibly patient with her, but it's not fair to have a growing kitten swing from or chew on his tail all the time - it's gotta hurt, he's a frequent sufferer of Happy Tail.

I try to stop her, he gets up and walks away when it gets too much, or just sucks it up, as seen in this picture where he's chewing on his kong and she's chewing on him:

But I'd like for her to not try to eat him alive. I'm wondering if anyone knows if something like Bitter Apple would work, without harming either dog or kitten, or if there are other suggestions?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:52 pm

Bitter apple is certainly worth a try! We spray it on dogs with catheters all the time at work (on the bandages) but it is definitely safe to spray on the tail as well.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:55 pm

I just want to say POOR OSCAR!!!

What a gentle. patient boy!

V. is on her way to kiss it better (on second thought he may find that more aggravating that being eaten by a kitten :)) ).

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:31 pm

I know - he really is a peach. I can't tell you how many times I've had to supervise his eating cuz he'll back away from breakfast when a cat gets in his bowl (they have their own food, no one's starving in this house!). But I don't want to take advantage of his peachiness. I want the baby to stop harassing him so he continues to be smitten with his kitten!

However, he is alternating a particularly well rehearsed pathetic look with a sort of leer at the thought of Veronica coming down to kiss it better...

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:53 am

Just a little update - I got the Bitter Apple yesterday. It now comes in the spray or in a gel (which I didn't know - I thought it was just a spray) So far I think it's working. Neither Oscar nor baby Fiona like the smell much, so while it requires bribery to apply it, I think the kitten is chewing on his tail less, or at least getting a mouthful of ick when she does. Hopefully she'll realize that the thousands of other cat toys in the house don't smell or taste like Bitter Apple and only play with Oscar appropriately.

MemphisBrindle
Newborn Bully

Postby MemphisBrindle » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:18 am

i dont blame them for not liking it. i sprayed it on corners of my carpets he was pulling up, and somehow accidently sprayed it in my mouth. it is horrible hahaha and wont go away roflmao

Return to “Health Issues”