vitamin suppliment

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
americanpitbull
Newborn Bully

vitamin suppliment

Postby americanpitbull » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:44 pm

so we picked up a stray amstaff 2 days ago.. hes in real bad shape, my vet, soon to be teacher gave me a vitamin powder "flavitol" supplement for dogs to add to his food.. even tho my polish isint all that great yet.. i noticed one of the ingredients is grape extract..

its made by DR.SEIDEL veterinary labs poland..

knowing grapes and raisins are harmful to dogs.. im trying to figure this out..

any ideas??

is it possible that there is some part in the grape is ok, but grapes and raisins as whole are not...

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:35 pm

Last I heard (veterinary toxicology class) nobody knows what portion of the grape or what chemical specifically is toxic to dogs... therefore any portion is considered taboo as far as I'm concerned.

Its an odd ingredient choice to be sure.

If your pup is skinny and needs some protein/fat/vitamin supplementation, then do a search for "Satin Balls" which are an excellent short term supplement. Start slow, don't pack on the pounds too fast, and watch closely for digestive upset.

americanpitbull
Newborn Bully

Postby americanpitbull » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:05 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Last I heard (veterinary toxicology class) nobody knows what portion of the grape or what chemical specifically is toxic to dogs... therefore any portion is considered taboo as far as I'm concerned.

Its an odd ingredient choice to be sure.

If your pup is skinny and needs some protein/fat/vitamin supplementation, then do a search for "Satin Balls" which are an excellent short term supplement. Start slow, don't pack on the pounds too fast, and watch closely for digestive upset.

hes about 4-5 years old, the people in the town i picked him up from state hes been living in a closed basement and now just ran around town. again in poland there is not much to be found.. i might try and import, im giving him a lot less then the recommended amount which is 10g per 8kg body weight.hes getting about 4 per 8 and moving him up slow..

the vet im referring to has been using this for years..

i have him eating boneless food as hes not chewing but trying to swallow everything.. also keeping him away from the view of other dogs so he isint pressured..

americanpitbull
Newborn Bully

Postby americanpitbull » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:39 pm

got off the phone with my vet again, from what i understood it is flavonoids extracted from grapes..

he will explain it more in person when he gets back to town.. his english is as bad as my polish...

Return to “Health Issues”