the runs after class

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

the runs after class

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:47 am

so, ruby has been going to obedience classes since april.. i started out with freeze dried chicken, then went to wellness soft bites. no matter what i give her at class, the next day she has the runs... bad... last night i decided to boil some fresh chicken, figuring she wont get the runs from boiled chicken. made sure it was cooked thoroughly... well, this morning, runs.. on the carpet.... so i gave her a flagyl this morning to help firm her up.

any idea why no matter what i give her at class the next day she gets the runs? this happens every week, the morning after class... and it only happens the morning after class.. no other day of the week does this happen..

she loves class so much and gets so excited when we go, to the point she pulls to the door and hates to leave when its over..

i can take her anywhere else, treat her at stores, she is fine.. go to class, treat her at class, next day, the runs...

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:38 am

My guess would be the excitement of the class is what's causing the issue, not the treats.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:41 am

i have never had a pup this excited about class.. she literally screams as we are walking to the doors... pulling and screaming the entire time toward the door, and if i cant get the door open fast enough she jumps up on the door and scratches to get in......... both schools she does this to.... its like she is sooo excited to be learning she cant wait to get in... ( doesnt everyone wish their kids were like this LOL)

last night she was bouncing off the walls so much the assistant asked me if she had too much sugar for breakfast LOL (in a teasing way, the teacher and assistant LOVE ruby) as she was soo amped up she was literally bouncing around while doing her training...

so i guess i just give her flagyl the night of class and the next day to prevent the runs..

i have never heard of a puppy getting this excited about class before..... omg what am i going to do once she starts agility in september?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:56 am

yah... the treats aren't the problem... anxiety/excitement also cause hypermotility of the GI tract.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:19 am

so what do i do? i have even tired her out before class, to the point she is half asleep, and once i get to the training school, she pops awake and makes a beeline for the door screaming and pulling the entire time.. i have even tried to go the other way to take longer to get to the door, and she is so intent on getting inside to train its not even funny. once she is inside she is rip roaring and ready to go and does each session with such gusto its amazing.. she loves to learn, and once she learns something she is ready for the next step...

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:37 am

Oscar's like this for school. It's insane. I apologized to the owner of our school (who loves Os) last week because as we were coming in and Oscar was being a nut and rushing everyone and going crazy someone came in and said "oh, I guess this is your first week too" and I had to say "uh, no, we're in the advanced class" Not good marketing for the school (but they really have done wonders for us!) as far as that behavior, but once he's in class he's much more sane. It's just the going in is too much excitement for him to handle without hysteria.

Have you tried something like Rescue Remedy or other calming herbal sedatives? Nothing to really knock her out, but something that might settle her a bit? I was just thinking of trying something like that for Oscar - he doesn't get the runs, so Ruby might be a little worse (or at least internalizes it more, Oscar pees it all out)

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:42 am

yep, tried some calming meds.. nothing works.. once she sees where we are she cant wait to get out of the truck and into school.... she is so excited to be learning she gets all worked up.. last night we stopped for a few minutes so the trainer could show us a new lesson, and ruby barked nonstop while the trainer was showing us the next step.. it was so embarrassing, it was like she was saying, MOM LETS GO I WANT TO LEARN WHY ARE WE SITTING HERE LETS GO MOM LETS GO I WANT TO LEARN.. once we started to practice the new step she was quiet and concentrating.. as long as she is learning she is quiet, once she learns something she gets super sassy and barks like, ok i am bored now whats next, until we go to the next step, so i figured agility would really work her mind since its so involved..

so what do i do? calming meds dont work, tiring her out dont work, as soon as she sees the building she gets all excited, her tail goes nonstop wagging while in class, and she has this HUGE smile on her face the entire hour of class...

i guess i will stock up on the flagyl for her for the next year...

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:53 am

Is she doing heel yet?

You're pretty far from class, aren't you?

If you're close, I wonder if you could swing by every so often and work on heel in the parking lot, then leave without going in, so that she learns that the good student behavior has to start right away?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:04 am

the one school is 40 minutes away, so i cant just drive there during the week. the other school she is finished with, but is closer..
she knows heel, but once out of the truck it goes out the door for what she knows. i have even stood in the parking lot waiting for her to stop pulling, and one night i missed an entire half hour of class as i refused to move as she kept pulling... i eventually picked her up and carried her inside as i didnt want to miss the last half hour of class..

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:34 pm

Maryellen wrote:i have never had a pup this excited about class.. she literally screams as we are walking to the doors... pulling and screaming the entire time toward the door, and if i cant get the door open fast enough she jumps up on the door and scratches to get in......... both schools she does this to.... its like she is sooo excited to be learning she cant wait to get in... ( doesnt everyone wish their kids were like this LOL)

last night she was bouncing off the walls so much the assistant asked me if she had too much sugar for breakfast LOL (in a teasing way, the teacher and assistant LOVE ruby) as she was soo amped up she was literally bouncing around while doing her training...

so i guess i just give her flagyl the night of class and the next day to prevent the runs..

i have never heard of a puppy getting this excited about class before..... omg what am i going to do once she starts agility in september?

roflmao

ME don't know if this will help, but Jake gets this at flyball or Course a Lure.

I took him to a holistic vet and spoke with her about it
The holistic vet has me giving him high does of probiotics and enzymes. The product is actually for horses but the dose I give him is for a dog.
I will look when I get home at the name and let you know.

Here is the post I made about his "stress runs"

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:38 pm

akaspaddero wrote:
Here is the post I made about his "stress runs"

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

NV....you saw that post...LMAO....Uggg Is it Friday yet.....

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:08 pm

she gets the prozyme in her food, but i dont feed her before class, she eats after class, and gets the Prozyme in her food.. but she still gets the runs that night later on and the next day, in the morning and lunchtime and sometimes when i get home . this morning she couldnt get to the back door fast enough so had the squirts on my rug. (thankfully the rug is brown LOL)

i gave her a flagyl this morning to help bind her up so she didnt mess her crate today.

if i dont take her to class she is fine.. no runs. if its really really hot out and we walk she will get loose stool, but not like after class the next day..

i did boiled chicken to make it easier on her stomach. maybe i should have put the prozyme on the chicken for class?

hubby comes home every week to the runs in her crate, and her covered in poop from doing the happy dance, then her stamping the poop over his legs and the floor and the stairs to go out.... so i am trying to figure out some sort of damage control to lessen the runs the night after class ends and the next day.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:08 pm

and she eats only raw..

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:57 pm

Maryellen wrote:
i guess i will stock up on the flagyl for her for the next year...

Why not try something like slippery elm instead? Giving flagyl all the time can't be a good thing.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:20 pm

oh crap i forgot about slippery elm!! thanks i will pick some up at the health food store...

Return to “Health Issues”