we beat the heartworms

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ratpatch
Newborn Bully

we beat the heartworms

Postby ratpatch » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:18 am

I got my dog Moe a year ago from the pound. I took him to the vet to be checked over and was told that he was positive for heartworms.

This was quite the bummer, so I started doing research. I read everything I could get my hands on and decided (against the vets advice) to skip the immiticide and just use the heartguard monthly treatment.

I did this for the following reasons:
-dog young and seemingly healthy
-dog just rescued from 6 weeks in the pound and finally learning to play, I could not face having to immobolize him for 2 months
-heartguard supposed to stop new heartworms and shorten lifespan of adult heartworms (to 2-3 years)
-$$$ flame me if you must, but budget is important too...

so every month he gets his heartguard treat...

Fast forward to this weekend, and the vet's test says: HEARTWORM NEGATIVE!!!!!
:peace: :peace: :peace:

This is not to say that everyone should go this route, but I did want to share my results. I don't know if the positive was a false postive last year, or if we just got lucky and there were so few worms there that they died that quickly, or what.... but I'm just really glad that I didn't spring for the full high cost / high risk immiticide treatment.

americanpitbull
Newborn Bully

Postby americanpitbull » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:21 am

good to hear it worked for you.

sw_df27
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sw_df27 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:53 am

that's great I have 2 at the vet right now getting the fast treatment i'm really nervous...............

Slave to the Dogs
Matured Bully

Postby Slave to the Dogs » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:45 am

We faced this decision when 5 of the 11 Katrina dogs we took in were HW+... :po:

Learned a lot about it, and went the HeartGuard treatment on one of the dogs, aggressive treatment for the other 4.

All the dogs recovered and are happy and healthy...

There's a lot of factors to think about when deciding on treatment, but if you work with an experienced vet you can make an educated decision and do what's best for each dog.

Wingnutz13
Newborn Bully

Postby Wingnutz13 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:15 am

sw_df27 wrote:that's great I have 2 at the vet right now getting the fast treatment i'm really nervous...............

Just wondering how things are going with you dogs? I had to do it w/ my 5 year old female, it sucked. She had an allergic reaction and almost died. She is doing great now and is going back to the vet in a couple of weeks to see if she is negative, it's been 5 1/2 months since the treatment.
Does anyone know what the longterm effect are on having the treatment done?

sw_df27
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sw_df27 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:01 am

They are actually doing great I can tell a huge diff. in how they feel! Chaos the 9yr old female can walk across the yard without coughing now and actually tries to run she has one more treatment on the 27th then 5more weeks of rest then she'll be done warhead will start taking heartworm prevenative on the 27th he's done he came through with flying colors no side effects what so ever!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chaos heart is perm. damaged but vet said he thinks she still has a few more good years in her!!!! :peace: It's been a long 2 months and one more too go!

Wingnutz13
Newborn Bully

Postby Wingnutz13 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:29 pm

That's great to hear. Good luck w/ the second round of shots. :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”