FLEAS, FLEAS, FLEAS! Someone makes them stop!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

FLEAS, FLEAS, FLEAS! Someone makes them stop!

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:42 am

OMG, my poor Cuervo NEVER got fleas, until we moved back home to the farm. Now his belly is always red, he has scabs under his arms from scratching, he's loosing hair in small places from scratching all the time. I don't know what to do. The fleas here are totally immune to Frontline Plus, Advantage, Advantix -bascially all the normal flea controls. All our dogs have fleas, they outdoor ones more than the indoor ones. I feel horrible for them all, but what the crap can we do? There is ALOT of carpet in the house for them to hide in, tons of soft stuff - including my bedding- for them to hide in, plus we have a rather large house. How the heck do you cover that much space? AND, they pick up more when they go outside because its a farm and we can't de-flea the entire acreage. UGH! I'm so frustrated. Does anyone have any advice?

INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:20 am

Just thought to add that his skin has always been dry and a bit flaky. And his farts smell so bad he could clear a room. They seem more frequent now though. I'm guessing all this is interlinked and I just want to fix his discomfort. He's being fed Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Senior Formula. He's only 3 1/2 yrs old but the senior stuff has glucosamine/chondrotin that he needed to help his flat feet when he was a pup. He's been on this stuff since he was about a year old.

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:35 am

Well for a quick fix you can bathe them in dawn dish soap. It kills fleas in a heart beat. But other then that I have no idea.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:16 am

I got "Flea Away" from the pet store. It's finely ground diatomaceous earth which dries out the fleas and the eggs. You can sprinkle it on your dog. I used it in my house before we got our dog because the previous tenant had a cat and left fleas. I sprinkled it all over the carpets and wood floors and left it for a day or two and then vacuumed it all up. I did it once a week for about three weeks and I've never had to use it again (still have about half a bottle of the stuff).

It sounds like the outdoors is going to be much tougher to control so I'm not sure how effective it will be. I remember reading a thread or two in the past that a few PBF members add a small amount of garlic powder to their dogs' food to help prevent fleas – hopefully one of them will see this thread and chime in with a tip.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:15 am

Vacuum everyday (with flea powder) and perhaps try a new flea medication that they may not be immune to yet?

bullydogla
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby bullydogla » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:32 am

I don't know how many dogs you have but I use comfortis for eliminating fleas on my dogs. It works great! Just one pill every month and no fleas. Its kinda pricey though. I have to go buy a box today as a matter of fact.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:33 am

I remember reading a thread or two in the past that a few PBF members add a small amount of garlic powder to their dogs' food to help prevent fleas – hopefully one of them will see this thread and chime in with a tip.

not garlic powder but the minced garlic you buy in a jar
I live on a farm, have for 30 years and no fleas here.
have to get to work now, but if no one has offered any more help will reply tonight after I get back home.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:03 am

Have you tried any of the newer flea preventatives? Promeris (topical flea and tick) and Comfortis (oral flea) are both pretty new on the market and contain ingredients that are new to many flea populations, so they might work better for you. And like others said, vacuum a lot, and wash bedding in hot water often.

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:59 am

Happy Jacks Flea and tick spray works great on our dogs and kills the fleas and ticks instantly and repels them up to 14 days. I would try that.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:08 am

We use Biospot here. It's never caused an issue with our dogs.
You should get some Diatomaceous earth and spread it around.
Or Borax (for laundry).
We have chickens that roam around here and eat most bugs that live. We don't have fleas though.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:26 am

pblove wrote:
I remember reading a thread or two in the past that a few PBF members add a small amount of garlic powder to their dogs' food to help prevent fleas – hopefully one of them will see this thread and chime in with a tip.

not garlic powder but the minced garlic you buy in a jar
I live on a farm, have for 30 years and no fleas here.
have to get to work now, but if no one has offered any more help will reply tonight after I get back home.

I was going to suggest garlic - small amounts. You can buy it minced (which if you're feeding kibble is likely easiest) or quickly crush a bit of a clove in his food.

MemphisBrindle
Newborn Bully

Postby MemphisBrindle » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:00 pm

ughhhhh.. i had no clue.. when we got memphis i had him on preventative for what i thought included FLEAS..but it was just for roundworm and heartworm..ughhhh i couldnt see in it in his coatuntil i noticed it on his white patch .. and than checked my cat of course she has it too..

this is gonna be oh soo fun. ive bathed both of them but ill have to do it again once i get the preventative luckily is ognna give me the stuff for her cat so i only have to pay to cover for memphis..

just upset that its in my house even tho i havent seen it.. i bought a fogger and gonna get some powder for the carpets..im just afraid with a baby crawling on the floor putting powder on the floor..any suggestions?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:06 pm

msvette2u wrote:We use Biospot here. It's never caused an issue with our dogs.
You should get some Diatomaceous earth and spread it around.
Or Borax (for laundry).
We have chickens that roam around here and eat most bugs that live. We don't have fleas though.

:thumbsup:

tigger
Newborn Bully

Postby tigger » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:39 pm

Use Advantage. It will start killing fleas within 2 hours and nearly all will be dead within 12 hours. Advantage will also kill fleas in the vicinity of the dog.

A study done showed that the application of Advantage to your pet can clear a heavily infested house in three months. No other flea treatments were done to the house during the study.

If you vacuum do not empty the bag indoors (the fleas will jump out). As soon as the vacuum is shut off get it outside quickly. Empty it outside. A thorough vacuuming will eliminate a high percentage of fleas.

myshell
Matured Bully

Postby myshell » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:43 pm

I use a little apple cider vinegar in the water bowl. Neither of my girls have fleas and if a stray flea happens to jump on them they don't last long! Toby has sensative skin so I have to be careful about what I put on her.
I've also put white vinegar in my carpet cleaner. I put about 1 cup in. If you can stomach the vinegar smell (which will fade) it's cheap and it works!

Here's a link to Apple Cider Vinegar

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... er+vinegar

( I hope I posted the link right!)

Return to “Health Issues”