FLEAS, FLEAS, FLEAS! Someone makes them stop!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bullydogla
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby bullydogla » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:11 pm

The comfortis I gt is expensive $96 for 6 months worth. I might try the minced garlic. How much do you but on the kibble????

INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:26 am

Sorry for the late response:

We have a total of 7 dogs here and 4 cats.

Advantage doesn't work anymore. Biospot is a joke to these fleas. As is other herbal remedies. That's what I WAS using before I moved here.

Garlic is included in my dogs food. (can't say the same for the other 4 dogs)

Vaccuming is an ordeal around here since the Great Dane is PETRIFIED of the vaccum. So not very feasible that it will happen more than it does now which is once a week. ::sighs::

Haven't tried Promeris or Comfortis. Will look for them locally.

Haven't ordered any DE yet, but its looking more likely now that the goaties are scratching again too (stupid lice). We have Borax, do we dust it in the house? or on the animals? or both?

Since there's DE in "Flea Away" would it be cheaper to get it like that? I can get a 4 lbs bag for about $15 from the Goat Supply magazine.

Haven't tried the ACV in the water bowl. What mixture ratios do you use?

Don't carpet clean, so can't really try the vinegar.

We might could try chickens outside! I like the ones with feathered feet, lol.

As a last note, it seems like the skin condition is just aggravated by the fleas, not the sole cause. Any ideas on what could be the original problem?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:34 am

We put the borax on the carpet, waited a few hrs. then vacuumed it up. :dunno:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:44 am

Capstar and a professional sound like your best option.

The fleas on your pet are ONE PERCENT of the fleas in your house. You have to treat ALL PETS and the environment aggressively to get control.

Herbal remedies may work to prevent fleas, but once the fleas get into the house it will be a 3-6 month battle to get them all out again because of the hardiness of the flea life cycle.

Advantage DOES work... you just aren't focusing on the other aspects of the flea life cycle... studies have shown there is no such thing as flea resistance... just a lack of owner education about parasite life cycles and perseverance when oubreaks occur.

MemphisBrindle
Newborn Bully

Postby MemphisBrindle » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:18 pm

oh man i am so grossed out!!! monday im taking them to the vet for frontline. and we have the exterminator coming the same day. i have been vacumming everyday, especially against the wall and in the corners. which is very important when you have fleas.. this is a really great article http://www.pestproducts.com/flea-pupae.htm

its so gross i havent gotten any bites, but when i vacumn i see them, and of course dispose of quickly. the pets have been getting bathed, the cat in dawn. i cant wait until monday... but ill still have to vacumn everyday for 14 days... what a nightmare. i cant wait until this is over!!

AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

Postby AkainePSP » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:59 pm

My flea prevantative of choice is Revolution. I have been using this on my cats for years. It works great on my cat with flea allergies. I just ordered some for Lila.

MemphisBrindle
Newborn Bully

Postby MemphisBrindle » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:38 pm

we are super tight on funds. so i took em to the vet and got my dog and cat treated for one months and memphis got another heartworm/roundworm preventative also..and it came to $37 i was so excited, im gonna order them the 3-6 month prevenative for ticks/fleas online petmeds... we also had the exterminator come in..wooooohooo.. i stillo have to vacumn everyday for 2 weeks, if we have anymore problems they are going to come back next monday. i am so happy!

AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

Postby AkainePSP » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:01 pm

MemphisBrindle wrote:we are super tight on funds. so i took em to the vet and got my dog and cat treated for one months and memphis got another heartworm/roundworm preventative also..and it came to $37 i was so excited, im gonna order them the 3-6 month prevenative for ticks/fleas online petmeds... we also had the exterminator come in..wooooohooo.. i stillo have to vacumn everyday for 2 weeks, if we have anymore problems they are going to come back next monday. i am so happy!

What treatment did you go with?

INOCNTKITN187
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby INOCNTKITN187 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:25 pm

Misskiwi: If we're using advantage every month, what part of flea prevention do you think we're missing?

We bought Borax. I am gonna use it on the carpets. Is there an inhalation problem like there is with DE? Or is it safe?

Also, we have Cooks as our pest control company, can do they anything to help?

Do we need to be vaccuming everyday for 2 wks also? Should I use the Borax everyday too?

How do we stop fleas from getting on the dogs when they go outside to potty/paly? And what about the dogs that are outside only dogs? There's no carpet for the fleas to hide in and keep reinfecting them, so what's the issue there? the outdoor dog beds maybe? the grass?

Is anyone fabulous at compiling lots of info into a workable plan?

AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

Postby AkainePSP » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:35 pm

When we had flea problems I would buy flea powder and put underneath our couch cushions. I would also put it on the floor and leave it there for at least an hour and then vaccum it up. I also believe carpet frsh sells a carpet powder especially for fleas.

I know you should always empty your vaccum bag after vaccuming. The vet we used at the time also suggested putting moth crystals around the furniture.

Flea infestations suck big time.

AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

Postby AkainePSP » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:39 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I didn;t see the edit button anywhere. I do believe there are some fleas that are in the grass. I think they are sand fleas. Here is an article on getting rid of them. Also for the outside dogs what about cedar? If I'm not mistaken fleas do not like that either.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2042512_get-rid-sand-fleas.html

Kelly

MemphisBrindle
Newborn Bully

Postby MemphisBrindle » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:31 pm

ugh. we went w advantage on my cat and advntix on the dog cause he had fticks too. wll the ticks are gone byt we still have fleas. i hate thissssss so much!!! so frustrating i feel like my house is so dirty i vacumn everyday and empty the bag out and ive had the exterminator come, he's coming again next monday...

i saw 5 fleas on his belly just today this is out of control. my kids have had a few flea bites i feel so bad :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

jazminesgranny
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jazminesgranny » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:41 pm

The joys of living in the south...

When I lived in Florida.. we had to treat the dog.. the carpet and the yard!! A good pest control company can do the carpet and the yard...

Debby

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:24 pm

INOCNTKITN187 wrote:Misskiwi: If we're using advantage every month, what part of flea prevention do you think we're missing?

The pupae. Not even a nuclear explosion would kill them, they're well protected, and there isn't a pesticide on earth that will reach them. Thats why it takes a minimum of 3 months to break the flea life cycle, and why vacuuming is so important. You can't kill them, but you can physically remove them.

When vacuuming, move furniture, focus on cracks and crevices. Larvae migrate away from light, and therefore pupae will be found in dark/shadowed places near where your pets spend the majority of their time.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:The pupae.
Larvae migrate away from light, and therefore pupae will be found in dark/shadowed places near where your pets spend the majority of their time.

Ew.

I just had to use Advantage on Booker and usually I don't have to use any flea products like that. I just do regular bathing (and let the lather and dog sit in the tub for ten minutes) and very occasionally use some essential oils in the shampoo. Maybe this is just a really good year for fleas.

I do know that no flea battle is won instantly. You have to keep doing the same steps over and over for weeks on end until all the members of each stage of flea life are dead. If you kill the adults you see today, there's still ones about to grow into hopping adults, and eggs that have been laid. It sucks.

Return to “Health Issues”