Picked up Molly today from her spay...she's a different dog!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Picked up Molly today from her spay...she's a different dog!

Postby Jorsher » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:25 pm

So I took Molly in to be spayed on Thursday morning. I picked her up today (Friday) at around 5:45pm after work. It was the first time she's been to that vet (Alan Jones, mentioned in Shelia Tack vs Alabama) because the vet near my home wanted $360+ for the spay, and this place only charged $103.

I was expecting her to be hyper-excited when I picked her up today, since she usually is after I'm gone from home after only a few hours. Well, she walked out, wagged her tail a little, and that was it.

Since my mom also lives out here, I decided to stop by. My mother has the Papillon and Cairn Terrier. Usually, Molly can barely sit due to the excitement about reuniting with her "brothers." Today, she seemed indifferent. She doesn't chase the papillon around nor does she put much effort in playing with him when he's trying to get her to. She calmly sits while the other dogs sniff or get near her, and usually she'd try to start playing.

I thought maybe it was the anesthetics or pain relievers, but her surgery ended yesterday around lunch time. I like how mellow she is, but at the same time I want my old dog back. Will she return to her typical puppy self?

Also, when she peed today, I noticed a little red on her vulva. I got a tissue and wiped and the urine was a little pinkish. Is it normal for there to be a little blood or should I let the vet know?

Thanks

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:29 pm

It can take a day or two for a dog to recover from anesthetics, so I wouldn't be too worried about that just yet-- if you think about it, she just had a major surgery. My girl Sid was sick for two days after surgery, if I remember correctly from what her foster mama said. My old girl Jasmine was just put under for minor surgery on her leg and she was not the same for two days afterwards.
As far as red in the urine, I am not sure. Someone else may have an idea, but it's never a bad idea to talk with the vet just in case.

medagrl

Postby medagrl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:43 pm

She will be fine, just give her a couple days to re-coup. Bella kinda moped round for 2-3 days...but now a months later she wont hold still!!!

Hang in there! :thumbsup:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:11 pm

she just had major surgery and is still full of the anesthia effects, but the blood in the urine is not normal?
I wouldn't take her anywhere else, just straight home. Make sure she gets lot of rest for a couple days, even leash walking for potty breaks, not running loose in a yard.

americanpitbull
Newborn Bully

Postby americanpitbull » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:20 am

one of my males (4.5 y/o)was down for about 5 days after castration.. hed get up scratch tha door when he needed to drain his bladder. be right back in his bed and sleep.

on tha 6th day he was back at "lets go de-branch some trees"

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:46 am

Yup she's back to her usual self after 3 days :)

Sorry folks. First dog and the combination of being entirely too mellow and urinating blood had me worried.

I'll be a mess when I have some children to take care of roflmao

Thanks

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:32 am

good, glad to hear she is back to herself

Return to “Health Issues”