Molly pee-ing blood, please answer!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Molly pee-ing blood, please answer!

Postby Jorsher » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:10 pm

Sorry to create another thread but this is more to the point and a little more urgent.

Molly was spayed Thursday. I picked her up today (Friday) at 5:45pm. When I take her out to pee, she squats every few minutes even if there's no urine, and when there is urine it looks like there's blood mixed in.

I can take her to the emergency vet tonight but it will cost me a load of money which I don't have due to having to move.

Or, I can wait til the vet here opens tomorrow morning.

Any suggestions?

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:19 pm

I just found where she peed on the floor (which she doesn't do because she's housebroken) and about a fourth of it is blood...

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:36 pm

Does your vet have an after hours number?

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:38 pm

Allie wrote:Does your vet have an after hours number?

Their after-hours number goes to a different animal hospital. They need money up front and I just spent all mine on this months bills/rent/gas/food and her spay.

I don't know if she'll be alright until tomorrow at 8am when my vet opens.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:54 pm

If it weren't for the recent spay, I would suspect a UTI. Maybe call the after hours clinic and just ask them if they think it is something that can wait til morning? Our vets are pretty good about giving advice.

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:56 pm

Allie wrote:If it weren't for the recent spay, I would suspect a UTI. Maybe call the after hours clinic and just ask them if they think it is something that can wait til morning? Our vets are pretty good about giving advice.

The after hours clinic just says the only thing they can recommend is to bring her in. They wouldn't even give me a hint towards whether she'd be alright until the morning or not. I guess it's a liability thing.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:19 pm

I have no idea what to say. But paws crossed. maybe google "blood in urine after dog spay" See what you come up with

good luck

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:21 pm

I would wait, give her PLENTY of fluids, all the water she can drink, and take her in to YOUR vet tomorrow.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:43 pm

I second the fluids. More fluid=more "cleaning out" of the urinary system. If she likes ice-cubes I would give her some if you can't get her to drink more.

Does she act like she's hurting when she urinates?

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:42 pm

jlphilli wrote:I second the fluids. More fluid=more "cleaning out" of the urinary system. If she likes ice-cubes I would give her some if you can't get her to drink more.

Does she act like she's hurting when she urinates?

I spoke to someone who said their dog did the same thing and was alright.

She seems ok when she pees. She tries to pee more frequently which I guess is just from her feeling "different?" Most the time she squats, nothing comes out, but she's peed 3 times inside today which is more than she's peed in the past couple months.

Hope she doesn't end up with an incontinence problem :(

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:32 pm

Our clinic and every clinic I've worked for would see her at no charge as it seems related to her spay. If your willing to go back, call them and have them look at her.

You can wait till the am. At the price you paid for the spay, they may have used morphine post-op for pain vs Metacam. Morphine would have the affects you describe attitude wise, and doesn't last as long as Metacam.

good luck

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:22 am

They told me to bring her in for a recheck. I asked if she would be alright until Monday and they said probably, but to still get her in ASAP.

My mom is driving here and I'm using my work break time for today to get her to my mom.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:27 am

Good luck. Please update after her visit.

medagrl

Postby medagrl » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:55 am

I hope she is okay :hug:

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:42 am

My mother drove 40 minutes out here to meet me at my apartment so I could run home on my break and give her the dog.

She took Molly to the vet, and he checked her and did an ultrasound. Said it seems like she has a bladder infection (UTI?) and gave her some antibiotics.

My mom said as soon as they stepped outside from the clinic, she peed nothing but blood. She went back in and the vet said one of the blood clots probably came out and to just keep a close eye and it should clear up in a few days.

On a side note: My mother said the vet said that the dogs are very unpredictable and to make sure I keep her socialized at dog parks and such. I told my mom it's a stupid idea to take her around other dogs that might have anger issues and she'll get plenty of socialization at her obedience classes. I think she's just trying to make her point that they can't be trusted. She really seems to like Molly now, but originally she was adamantly opposed to pit bulls and I think she's still cautious.

Return to “Health Issues”