Dominating, non-affectionate puppy?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Re: Dominating, non-affectionate puppy?

Postby Stormi » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Think of it this way. If you are amped up playing a game with your friends and having a jolly good time, and someone comes along and bear hugs you and refuses to let go, is that going to calm you down? Are you going to be enjoying that physical contact? Or are you going to learn that every time that someone comes along and puts their hands out you need to ward them off in attempts to avoid unpleasant restraint again? Most puppies, most dogs, do not enjoy prolonged restraint, especially in the midst of play. As mentioned above, there are excellent handling videos on YouTube by kikopup that will teach you how to train your dog to enjoy being handled. But for the time being, don't force it on him, and don't use it to "calm him down". Instead, give him an alternative behavior or something to occupy him such as a bully stick or other toy. Except for rare emergent situations, there should be no reason to hold any dog down, especially belly up.

Eita
Newborn Bully

Postby Eita » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:02 pm

Hi all of you!!! So grateful for your advice and I/we are taking it all in.

Egon is doing really well, better all the time. He is also such a baby, and so new to us! And so different from other pups I have known.

But Allison s advice is good and I think the one to apply, so far. We are really gentle with him, but I think he needs a firm hand - you can do both things at the same time!! He is by far not only the livliest but also the bossiest puppy I have met. A real challenge for us who are not that accustomed to small puppies.

The last one was EA herself, and we grew her, had her mother, who passed away a year and a half ago. And EA is bossy, or was. But it was different with her because she was with us all the time. She has some problems. Is a little bit shy and bossy at the same time; an explosive combination, and we have lived it out. But she is getting better all the time and is always a darling at home. And in general very obedient. We manage her.

Egon is a new challenge. There is no no shyness about him which I find great. Such a self-confident guy. But he has to find his place.

So things are going fine; I am just so anxious. I want everything to go well with this little dog which soon will be huge and, if we don t do things well, could be unmanagabeable.

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:35 am

Can you explain what you mean by a firm hand?

Eita
Newborn Bully

Postby Eita » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:02 pm

MissKitty wrote:Can you explain what you mean by a firm hand?

Hi all of you,
Egon is doing pretty well. In fact, only in a few days he calmed down. But I have been studying more, listened to your hints, and there are many things to do!

"Firm hand": mainly trying to calm him down, without force. Keeping him on the lap. Stroking him.

And he is like a new puppy. But there are yet so many things to do!!!

furever_pit
Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:45 pm

As someone else pointed out, you are contradicting yourself with some of the things that you are saying.

Personally, I would do a two week shutdown with the pup and work on developing your relationship with him. Build trust. He'll get to a point where he'll go belly up for you willingly and it will mean sooo much more than forcing it on him.

In general, it concerns me to hear of a pup this young not only lacking bite inhibition but also snarling and growling. It could be that he didn't learn behavioral cues from his mother and litter mates since it does sound like he was removed too early, but it could also be something more than that.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:14 am

A two week shut down isn't appropriate for puppies. They NEED proper, positive socialization during this period.

Keira&Phoenix
Adolescent Bully

Postby Keira&Phoenix » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:47 am

Sorry I just had to reiterate what others have said about not turning the dog over on your lap. That is a seriously threatening behaviour that you pup would find very frightening and I am not surprised it was growling and biting at you. Dogs kill by attacking/ripping out the soft stomach of other animals. Not the jugular, which is a common misconception.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:59 pm

I also agree that forcing your pup on it's back is a bad idea; you are not teaching the pup to be calm, but rather are setting up an adverserial relationship, where the pup is learning that you can be scary and are not to be trusted. This will get you into more trouble as the pup gets older and bolder and perhaps decides to defend itself against what it perceives as unprovoked attacks.

I would recomment you abandon that technique in favor of:

and

Return to “Training and Behavior”