Trick ideas please!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Trick ideas please!

Postby Mooresmajestic » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:37 pm

Since winter is upon us and I despise being cold, I use the months we are stuck indoors for trick training. The problem is that I can't think of any good tricks to teach! Everything I have found in searches are just obedience commands and a few basics the girls have learned already. I would love some ideas! I'm looking for tricks that are "showy", since we do quite a few school visits and the kids love seeing the dogs do tricks.

They already know crawl, dance (stand up on back legs and twirl), shake (both paws), high five, roll over, backup, step up (on something, like a pot), spin and rewind, balance treat/toy on nose, question (cock head to side), touch, hugs (jumps up on me with front legs around my waist), yea! (jumps straight up and does a mid-air twist thing), and of course everything related to the normal every-day training.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Trick ideas please!

Postby MarMar » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:35 am

I am taking online classes right now with both my dogs. Marlo is taking one called "Living Room Agility" and Becky is taking "Sniff It". It's funny because I always sort of saw Marlo as my "slow" dog (in a very loving way of course, it's just that Becky is SO smart) but taking this class has really helped us think outside of the box and he is just so earnest and focused on me, it's amazing what we're learning! Aside from some of the simpler stuff in the class, we've done hind foot targets, leg weaves, "go around", front paw targets, close the door and get in a suitcase. And the Sniff class is amazing for Becky. She is a hard worker, she does get frustrated but she doesn't quit. Having her search for her whole dinner in boxes is great for tiring her out!

How it works is we get an assignment every week with several exercises. We video them and post the videos on a blog and the instructor comments.

Here's an example (I think you said your dogs can already do this one but it's still fun)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcdQHI3pU4M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The courses are called Wag It Games.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:01 am

Say your prayers and play dead/bang are always fun. I also taught Dakota "kiss" which is basically a nose touch to the mouth.

Not really a trick, but a general concept, if you're into shaping teaching hind-end awareness is challenging and fun for some. :)

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:39 am

Here are some ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imp0ldZXlrE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RS1KV47RnRE

These are some of Brina's tricks, she knows more, but I've never put all of them on video. Right now I'm teaching her a new cute one, playing basketball (=putting a ball into a small basket for kids) :)

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:53 am

Nod yes or shake head no are good because you can work them into a lot of presentations.

Body parts? Like wiggle left ear, raise right foot, wag tail - things like that would impress kids, too, and there are lots of options.

Bambina23
Newborn Bully

Postby Bambina23 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:27 am

Take a bow, cover your eyes. Wave
Bambina knows touch commands as I'm trying to get her to do sequenced flying touches so it looks like I am bouncing her like a ball!!! Lol!
Another thought would be to teach stop drop and roll on a fire command and teaching putting something in a basket for recycling. School kidsy stuff

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:15 pm

Amie wrote:Nod yes or shake head no are good because you can work them into a lot of presentations.

Body parts? Like wiggle left ear, raise right foot, wag tail - things like that would impress kids, too, and there are lots of options.

YES! I can teach her the hokey-pokey! Hehehe.

My husband has taught her how to bob her head. He thought it was funny to get her to "head bang". I could modify that...

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:20 pm

I'll watch the videos when I get to a computer, it takes way to long to load anything on my phone.

We do a ton of hind end awareness exercises and it's made a big difference in her obedience and agility turns! I love the "pot" exercise.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:34 pm

If you'll have a crate handy you can teach "time out" which is cute:

I've never seen anyone else do this before, so I like to think I made it up 8) ; although it's pretty simple so I'm sure it's been done!

Also the kids might like the "hitting the easy button" trick. My husband teaches Jr. High and for some reason all the kids want to hit his easy button.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Sounds cute... Similar to her "go to your room" command.

Vi is into tricks because her entire goal in life is to make people laugh at her. The more people laughing, the more flamboyant her tricks are.

I'm going to work on the hokey-pokey for starters. I just did some "shake it" (wave) time. Lu actually figured it out and had it down pat before Vi guessed at what I was asking (her other shake command is gimme paw, so it's a totally new trick now). Oh what fun it is living with a genius and special dog.

This is going to be fun teaching the commands to match the song lyrics! She knows most of the stuff already, but by changing the word it's all new to her.

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:54 am

Mooresmajestic wrote:Sounds cute... Similar to her "go to your room" command.

Yes, but she'll look extra pathetic when she closes the door behind her and just stands there. :)

Or you can have her lie down too.

kathak
Newborn Bully

Postby kathak » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:16 pm

Some of those tricks sound very entertaining. Bella knows sit, laydown, stay, high five, say hi!(left and right) and roll over. But thats it.
Does anyone know a good website or video were it is explained how to teach some of the cooler tricks?

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:45 pm

I usually just search on youtube.

I like tab289's channel.

Return to “Training and Behavior”