Foster dog, chewing, eating poop, no manners

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
ilovemypits
Addicted to PBF

Foster dog, chewing, eating poop, no manners

Postby ilovemypits » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:19 am

I have had my foster dog for just over two months now. She is super cute, and sweet as can be. At animal control she would lay curled up, huddled in the back of her kennel. Only until the day we rescued her did she come to the front of the kennel. She had zero training. Fast forward, I am getting her potty trained and it's still up and down so now I'm trying the potty bell.

I can let her outside, she'll go but then a half hour later she'd potty on the kitchen floor. She will also potty if you lean down to give her pets... almost like she's scared. She also eats poop, I mean she will try to eat it as Sasha is going.. she's so gross. I know I can do something so she won't eat my dogs poop, but my neighbor also has two dogs and they aren't interested in adding anything to their dogs feeding so she doesn't eat their poop.

Chewing. I know puppies chew (she's 8-9 mo but acts much younger) ... she constantly has something in her mouth and when I put everything out of her way to chew, she chewed the wall in two places in the dogs bedroom! We have chew toys, kongs, tons of bones, treat puzzles, frozen kongs w/peanut butter, and squeaky toys. Yet she wants to chew Sasha's bed, she completely destroyed the recliner in the dogs bedroom. She does it so quick.. I'll be working and stop to check on her when I don't see/hear her for a bit and shes' destroyed something. Bitter apple doesn't work.

Manners. She has none. If Sasha is standing anywhere Anka will run and if sasha is in the way either just run under Sasha or mow sasha over. She also is constantly licking sasha's mouth and nipping sasha's lips. Poor Sasha has been trying to recover from surgery and can't get any peace until Anka is crated and Harley is let out of his kennel.

I want her to be a good girl so she gets adopted quicker... but she is proving to be stubborn! My first foster was so easy to train in two weeks she was potty trained, crate trained, knew sit, down, and stay.

Any suggestions?

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Re: Foster dog, chewing, eating poop, no manners

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:42 am

arrgh lost my post...

in short:

try tie-downs and x pens to keep her out of trouble but give you a break.

b/c she acts like one and may never have had any training or proper care- pretend she is a puppy. very basic training, repetitive potty stuff etc.

short play sessions with your dogs, praise and end quickly if any negatives.....

make sure medically all is a-ok as far as the pooping and poop eating - friend's rottie did that and was sooo gross...made for one very memorable walk when the human kind was found :yucky:

hope she is cute as she is a project for sure!

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:37 am

Awww Kelly! She sounds like Ava, the little bulldog I fostered. I thought for sure no one would ever adopt her. Like NickDawg said, I would treat her like a puppy. Stick with the basics, keep things short and sweet but fun and don't trust her to not chew anything.

Be patient, you ARE making a difference with her, it's just hard to see it from your point of view at the moment.

ilovemypits
Addicted to PBF

Postby ilovemypits » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:57 pm

This is my anka

My brother says she's ugly.. but I think she's adorable!!!

I am wondering if her UTI is back.. maybe that's why she is going potty so much. She did have demodex, but has had two negative skin scrapes. It's just so much chewing, and the instant something falls on the floor before you can pick it up she runs to grab it. She's a scavenger for sure. I've been trying to say "OUCH" when she is biting Sasha's face. Sasha does nothing about it but stand there looking sad at me. When Anka first started getting treats she'd be like a shark getting half your hand in her mouth with those sharp teeth. I did the ouch and gentle and she's learning. She's such a stinker. I'd like to enroll her in a puppy class, my only worry is that because the rescue is like 2 hours away a person could adopt her from up there and I would lose out the $$ on the class because they wouldn't be able to go.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:28 pm

She's freaking adorable!

I've Been able to enroll most of my fosters in classes for free. I simply ask-- it can't hurt-- and most of the trainers in my area have been happy to help out! Some classes are better than none. :)

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:36 am

aww she is cute! hang in there!

Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Megan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:09 pm

I was going to ask about an UTI. When Grace (my foster whom we just adopted) got here she was constantly going to the bathroom. Her crate would be soaked through the night, if she was out I would find puddles everywhere even though I was taking her out almost every hour. We took her in for a vet visit and she had a pretty decent UTI and had discharge in the urine samples we took in. I would rule that out first. :)

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:47 pm

As for the class, how would the rescue feel about requiring enrollment in an obedience class with the adoption? The municipal shelter we adopted Molly from required that we show proof of enrollment in a class before releasing her to us. That meant I had to sign up and pay $200 for the class even before we got her. I think it's a good way to weed out the less committed even though it can be seen as a deterrent to adopting.

ilovemypits
Addicted to PBF

Postby ilovemypits » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:59 pm

Thanks for the compliments on my cutie. I had her on antibiotics for UTI... but she is still going and the vet said she's clear of it. I'm not sure they are accurate though, I have a feeling she still has the UTI. She is going potty too much.

The rescue does state on the petfinder page that the adopter should be willing to enter her into a class. She has another meet & greet Wed, and two more families emailed inquiring about her. Fingers crossed! If she doesn't go to one of these families I will put her in a class myself.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:37 pm

Austin had coprophagia when we first got him too. We tried putting pineapple on his food first, no luck. Next we tried meat tenderizer, which worked, or maybe he was just getting the idea for our training. I noticed one meat tenderizer brand had pineapple enzyme, which I didn't get since the actual pineapple didn't seem to have any effect, and another kind had papaya extract. Something worked anyways, although he has had the occasional relapse when he doesn't want to go out in the rain.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:28 am

Nothing helpful to add, just wanted to say I love this picture. If it were mine it'd definitely be in a frame somewhere!

Return to “Training and Behavior”