Shock Collars..?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Tyner
Newborn Bully

Shock Collars..?

Postby Tyner » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:13 pm

I am currently looking in to buying shock collars for my two dogs. This would be only for outside exercise. Tank normally stays around, but strays ever once in awhile. And Boo, well she needs some training..
I was wondering if anyone has used them, or does use them, and how its worked out for you?

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: Shock Collars..?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:34 pm

Think of it this way. If I was trying to get you to learn a foreign language, would you be more motivated if I shocked you every time you got something wrong or if I give you $5 everytime you did something right?

Tyner
Newborn Bully

Postby Tyner » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:39 pm

I understand what your saying, but am I suppose to let her run away every time until she decides she want to stay around? Shes not easy to catch once she takes off, and with so many anti pitbull people, I'm scared she'll get shot if she runs! She slips off her collar if I put her on a long chain, and its hard to let her have any fun on a leash. I don't know how else to let her have the time, and exercise she needs outside.

Shearaha1
Newborn Bully

Postby Shearaha1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:46 pm

Have you tried using a harness and long line? Or a martingale collar so she can't slip out of it? There's also the option of not giving her all that space until she learns to stay close. There's also lots of ways to exercise your dog without letting them just run. Flirt pole, in fence/ in house fetch, carpet mills/ treadmills. I also keep my boy worn out with brain games. He sleeps longer and deeper after 20min of shaping than 2hours of hiking.

Novy
Newborn Bully

Postby Novy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:12 pm

I'd suggest a vibrating collar for recall. Start small using it in conjunction with "come" and reward every time while gradually increasing the boundaries. I've been using the system with my deaf dog and it works well. She loves to explore and we have a bit of a set distance boundary as far as her max distance she can get ahead of me and she follows it well. I seldom use the collar anymore, mainly just hand signals.

Until you can trust them it might be worth finding a somewhat distraction free, secluded area that you can stick to and get to know. I did this when I got Iris. We stuck to an area by the local reservoir that I know well. It is surrounded by water on 3 sides and has minimal wildlife in the area. Once we built some trust I expanded further beyond the initial point.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:42 pm

Until you can trust them?

There's a member here that just lost her 8 year old dog from letting her outside loose. Been gone for over a month. You can never trust a dog not to run. It may listen every single time for 7 years and bolt a day after that. Training is not 100% reliable. I'd say its only about 60% in a perfect dog, considering all the different triggers there are that would cause a dog to take off.

Put your dog on a leash. They make really long ones that give the dog freedom. They're called Long Lines.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:47 am

Tyner wrote:I understand what your saying, but am I suppose to let her run away every time until she decides she want to stay around? Shes not easy to catch once she takes off, and with so many anti pitbull people, I'm scared she'll get shot if she runs! She slips off her collar if I put her on a long chain, and its hard to let her have any fun on a leash. I don't know how else to let her have the time, and exercise she needs outside.

I'm saying that using aversive methods are a really bad choice in teaching a dog recall (and all other things). Motivation works better in teaching all species than compulsion.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:56 am

Buy yourself the Really Reliable Recall DVD and learn something, don't just slap on a collar and shock the dog, it's pointless, not to mention harmful to the dog. I have a dog who doesn't have a reliable recall and probably never will have one, you learn to use leashes, long lines, etc. It becomes a routine, it's easy and most importantly, it's SAFE.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:44 am

Tyner wrote:I understand what your saying, but am I suppose to let her run away every time until she decides she want to stay around? Shes not easy to catch once she takes off, and with so many anti pitbull people, I'm scared she'll get shot if she runs! She slips off her collar if I put her on a long chain, and its hard to let her have any fun on a leash. I don't know how else to let her have the time, and exercise she needs outside.

You do realize putting a shock collar on a dog isn't going to magically teach them recall? Your dog runs off, you shock her, she might just keep right on running out of fear or she might attack a dog or person that's running by because she associates the pain with them. If your dog doesn't have a recall it's because you haven't trained one correctly and adding punishment to a dog who doesn't grasp the command isn't going to help anyone. If she's slipping her collar it's far too loose btw, I have never had a dog slip collars. Why are you letting your dogs run loose when they apparently run away sometimes and and in a place you think they could get shot, does that seem like a safe or responsible thing to do? Get a springpole or flirtpole, take them swimming, there are plenty of ways to exercise your dogs.

Tyner
Newborn Bully

Postby Tyner » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:07 pm

Boo couldn't be loose when she was young because I lived in the city, so she grew up going outside on a leash. After we moved to where she could have space she didn't want to stay around. I don't have a fence outside, or this wouldn't be a problem for her. Tank on the other hand jumps fences but he is pretty good about staying really close. Boo slips her collar off no matter how tight it is, I don't want to choke her with it. She won't do it on a normal leash but I have one of the screw in the ground long leash things, and she'll pull it as tight as it gets and pull as hard as she can until it comes off. We have tons of woods behind us, with pretty much only deer and small game out there, so its not that I'm afraid she's going to get shot there, it's if I can't catch her in time. She hasn't got off in months, but that's because I supervise her like a toddler. I just feel she needs to be locked down less, if you know what I mean. I do reward her when shes good, but I was worn out on trying to get her to play like my other dog does. I came here asking for help and advice, not too get talked too like I'm trying to abuse my dog. Thanks to those who really did try to help!

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Shock collars aren't a safe bet on a dog who likes to run. I've heard of many dogs who will take the shock and keep going until they're out of range(the shocks stop then).

A leash is different than what you're describing. What you're talking about is a teather. That is what's attached to the ground. A leash is attached to a person, who can control the dog.

A pain-in-the-butt dog who knows how to slip a collar cannot be chained to a teather because they know how to get out of it. I had a dog like that and even a harness doesn't work in that situation. It pulls off the same way a collar does.

Your dog needs a secure kennel with a secure top to go into, or to be attached to you, so that when she tries to pull out of the collar, you can prevent it by adding slack to the line, while going to get her.

Tyner
Newborn Bully

Postby Tyner » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:56 pm

Yeah that's what I've been doing for the last few months is just walking her outside on a leash, it's the only way at the moment that I can keep her on.

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:11 pm

The Really Reliable Recall DVD is great.

I would suggest working an a basic recall in a very positive manner where she can not fail (in a low distraction environment, on-leash).

Please don't use a shock collar for training. I have found 3 dogs running in traffic, with shock collars on, whose owners thought that the collar was a substitute for training.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:18 pm

I second (third, fourth) the please no shock collar chorus. As a former shock collar user, I am very sorry that I ever used one on my dog. It didnt' work (she would run through it), it was cruel, and it had side effects. There is no reason to use electric shock to train our best friends, and I really believe this.

http://www.squidoo.com/collars-shock

Return to “Training and Behavior”