Boomer and the Bell

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Addicted to PBF

Boomer and the Bell

Postby tia_leigha » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:55 pm

So I wanted to teach Boomey like I did with Dozer bc our back door is on the opposite side of the house. I wanted to make sure I knew when he stood at the door to be let out so I hung some bells on the doorknob.

He figured out when he rings the bells Mommy will open the door.

My problem is..
He rings the bell 100x a day and 1/2 the time Im not sure if he is going out to potty or if he is taking advantage of Mom the door opener! :(

How do I teach him to only ring the bell when it is necessary? I am 6 weeks pregnant and this exercise is great, but tiring roflmao

Addicted to PBF

Re: Boomer and the Bell

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:09 pm

I've always been against the bells for that very reason. Way too many stories of your outcome. It's better to teach them what the word "outside" means. If you ask them when they know what the word means, they will tell you. They often will start bugging you, then you ask "outside".
Even more specific, have words for pee & poo.

Unless he's deaf. Then I got nothin. lol

Newborn Bully

Postby creiter » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:30 pm

I somehow trained what BroAq is saying without trying. Now whenever I ask Duke 'potty?' He will get up and dance around and sometimes make a yip if he has to go. If he doesn't, he just kinda looks at me like ''Uhhh hello I'm trying to nap here mom.''

My method of accidentally teaching him this was to say 'Do you have to go potty?' right before I started moving towards the door. I make him sit and stay while I open the door, and once he has stayed for a moment I will so 'Okay go potty!' and he runs out and does his thing.

Good luck!!

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:24 pm

I also ask "Need to potty?" and my girls will either get up to go, or they stay on the sofa. They also know "Go pee pee" and "Go poopy". I taught the pee pee and poopy thing by saying it when they'd go, and then praising them when they finished.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:34 pm

Make sure he's always on leash when he goes out for ringing the bell. Only potty, no funtimes.

Newborn Bully

Postby Shearaha1 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:21 pm

MarMar wrote:Make sure he's always on leash when he goes out for ringing the bell. Only potty, no funtimes.

To add to this, if he doesn't potty within a reasonable time when you come back in he's in his crate for 5-15min. No in and out, in and out.

Return to “Training and Behavior”