Harmless Puppy Behavior?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Das Disco
Newborn Bully

Harmless Puppy Behavior?

Postby Das Disco » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:14 pm

Hey guys,

I wanted to ask some of the pit owners here a question. I apologize for asking such specific questions but i did not want to read some general article that was meant to be applied to all puppies.

What i was curious about was specific behavior in pits as puppies.

My little Bruno likes to play with his rope toy and i will play tug with him. I have heard certain innocent things like that are actually spawning bad future behavior.

So i was hoping to get a quick response to some issues on my mind..

First off is Bruno loves playing and giving us little playful nips on the hands. We are currently giving him a firm "No Biting" when he does (not yelling) and ignore him for a bit. It seems to help for a bit but he will end up giving us playful nips on the hand again. Is this normal?

Second is should i engage in any kind of tug of war type stuff with him?

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: Harmless Puppy Behavior?

Postby starrlamia » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:59 pm

Puppies nip and it takes a while for them to learn. I suggest the sticky thread about teaching bite inhibition. Tug is fine! It will not lead to aggressive behaviour and it is a great way to teach self control, ie sit stay and drop it.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Das Disco
Newborn Bully

Postby Das Disco » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Thank you for the response! Its kind of what i figured but being that he is a puppy i want to make sure we arent sending the wrong messages

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:50 pm

It is normal puppy behavior, BUT . . . .

Anything they do as a pup, think about them doing as an adult. If you don't want an adult dog doing it, you must train the puppy not to do it - no matter HOW cute it is. :)
The puppy will not grow out of the behavior on its own, it must be taught by you and you must be consistent.

There are many people who let their pup grab/bite/shake their sleeves and pant legs because its cute. When that pup is a large 6 month old doing it, it's annoying, painful and dangerous.

An important part of the tug game is the dog knowing how to release on command. Easily taught with treats. My dogs were only about 2.5 months old when they had that one down. :)
Good luck with the puppy training. :)

ThreeTails
Newborn Bully

Postby ThreeTails » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:08 am

Definitely read that sticky on puppy biting. We've had Emma a month, and we have been acting hurt and ignoring her when she bites, and she's gotten better. When we got her she thought play=biting everything, and now she sometimes bites my hand when it's on a rope toy we're playing with, and she still nibbles on toes in socks, but that's it.

Be consistent, and he'll get better. Just like children there are good days and bad days, so don't get discouraged!

Also, I don't think there's a problem with tug o' war! It's Emma's favorite game.

Das Disco
Newborn Bully

Postby Das Disco » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:24 pm

Sorry for the late response,

I have been teaching him not to bite and he has really started to cut down on it. Honestly i am not sure i have ever seen such a well behaved puppy. Bruno has been such a dream and he is super smart!

We have also been making it a habbit to teach him the importance of the "Let Go" command as well :)

Thank you again for your words of advice :peace:

Return to “Training and Behavior”