Is this something i should worry? DOMINANCE

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
lennoxlewis
Newborn Bully

Re: Is this something i should worry? DOMINANCE

Postby lennoxlewis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:17 pm

thank you for your input. i will study each link you provided.

my clicker arrives tomorrow.

cheers :)

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:53 pm

I just want to say how awesome it is that you recognized right away what you did not want to do and posted here for ideas.

Toycrusier
Newborn Bully

Postby Toycrusier » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:20 am

UnconventionalLove wrote:
Toycrusier wrote:I'm sorry , and your probably right, but all I can say is Roxy is around 3 1/2 yrs. old now, and has not chewed on anything she is not supposed to since. And she sure as heck gets lots of lovin and gives a lot in return.
So it worked for her and I.

Sure it worked, but WHY? Because you scared your dog and hurt her. Why take that route if it's is unnecessary?
I will never understand how someone can opt to do such things in the name of fast results. I don't want my dog to "behave" because he is afraid of me being violent or scary towards him, I want him to "behave" because he thinks it's rewarding and fun. Makes for a better dog and human relationship in the long run and nobody gets hurt or scared! Seems so simple to me...

All I can say is at the price of telephones and remotes I had to get quick results. And giving her hugs, kisses, treats and telling her she was a bad dog was not going to do any good. And it's not like I beat her with a lead pipe or something. I smacked her on the rump with a TV remote and told her she was bad. It didn't hurt anything but her feelings and she got over that real quick. And I got the results I needed quickly. My dog is definnitly not afraid of me, but she knows when she has done something wrong. Tough love works for dog's as well as kids.

Toycrusier
Newborn Bully

Postby Toycrusier » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:25 am

lennoxlewis wrote:
rgyoung777 wrote:So if he is almost 8 weeks old now, how old was he when you first brought him home?

I brought him home the 03 Feb. The mother was abandoned as pregnant and has lot of skin problems along with others, so the puppys have been took away as soon as possible to prevent further problems. Even so, my little Zuki got scabies, and that ALSO may play a part in his lack of patience. It really annoyes him, first 2 night before i got it to the vet we did not sleep because he was scratching so much and crying.

Many thanks all for your comments, this is very challenging. As a plus, i have a cat already, they are getting along too. Cat still does not like him to get lightly bit.

I am getting better nights of sleep, today he woke me up at 6AM because he pooped and peed. I got up to clean it and we got back to sleep.

Thank you once more, you all are great. :thumbsup:

That is one cute puppy. Good luck, hugs and kisses for the pup.

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:57 pm

Toycrusier wrote:
Toycrusier wrote:I'm sorry , and your probably right, but all I can say is Roxy is around 3 1/2 yrs. old now, and has not chewed on anything she is not supposed to since. And she sure as heck gets lots of lovin and gives a lot in return.
So it worked for her and I.

Sure it worked, but WHY? Because you scared your dog and hurt her. Why take that route if it's is unnecessary?
I will never understand how someone can opt to do such things in the name of fast results. I don't want my dog to "behave" because he is afraid of me being violent or scary towards him, I want him to "behave" because he thinks it's rewarding and fun. Makes for a better dog and human relationship in the long run and nobody gets hurt or scared! Seems so simple to me...

All I can say is at the price of telephones and remotes I had to get quick results. And giving her hugs, kisses, treats and telling her she was a bad dog was not going to do any good. And it's not like I beat her with a lead pipe or something. I smacked her on the rump with a TV remote and told her she was bad. It didn't hurt anything but her feelings and she got over that real quick. And I got the results I needed quickly. My dog is definnitly not afraid of me, but she knows when she has done something wrong. Tough love works for dog's as well as kids.

Isn't it pretty easy to keep telephones and remotes out of reach while you work out the issue humanely?
If you think training is "giving her hugs, kisses, and treats" then I can see how that never worked for you.
https://www.animalsandsociety.org/main/

OP - I agree with the others, thanks for being willing to open your mind to doing whats best for your dog and your relationship! All the best.

lennoxlewis
Newborn Bully

Postby lennoxlewis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:39 pm

I am using the ignore method and it seems to work for Zuki.

He gets completly crazy (maybe normal) and does not listen, starts biting and jumping and all that jazz... i leave and close my door. He comes and gets sad to be left out.

Same for the beahviour on the couch. He gets crazy and bites me. I hide my hand and arm from his reach, he calms down. Also i give him the rope to chew, seems to keep him busy and distracts him from me.

Some minutes later he ZzzZZzzZZzzZZz....

Voice command to stop does not work yet.. but ok. We will get there i hope.

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:53 pm

lennoxlewis wrote:I am using the ignore method and it seems to work for Zuki.

He gets completly crazy (maybe normal) and does not listen, starts biting and jumping and all that jazz... i leave and close my door. He comes and gets sad to be left out.

Same for the beahviour on the couch. He gets crazy and bites me. I hide my hand and arm from his reach, he calms down. Also i give him the rope to chew, seems to keep him busy and distracts him from me.

Some minutes later he ZzzZZzzZZzzZZz....

Voice command to stop does not work yet.. but ok. We will get there i hope.

Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKjk84OkzcI

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:58 am

Gotta love puppies! Verbal cues are actually the last things dogs and puppies pick up. They don't speak our language and they are not a verbal species. The random noises we jabber at them all day long mean nothing until we establish a relationship between that particular mix of sounds and an action or an object. Think of it like if you were in a foreign country, where you knew NOTHING of the language. People could talk at you all day long, and you wouldn't 'get it'. They could tell you which chair was ok to sit in, they could tell you where the bathroom was, they could tell you not to touch the tv remote, or that it was perfectly ok for you to eat the apples in the fridge, but DO NOT touch the oranges. Imagine yourself, as they gesture into the fridge and talk rapidly and you take this to mean 'eat anything' and you eat an apple, they say nothing, smile, you go grab an orange and they smack you upside the head and yell at you. You sit in one chair and they smile, you sit in another chair and they run at you, yell at you and smack you again. You use what is, to you, the bathroom, and they run at you again, yell again, maybe dunk your head in the toilet because they didn't want you to use THAT bathroom. What would your impression of them be? That they were not very helpful and a bit unstable?
Your puppy was taken too young from the litter and missed some socialization and learning from Mom and Littermates. Most of his behavior sounds like normal, attention seeking/bonding behavior.

Return to “Training and Behavior”