Some issues with my apbt

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
JSav86
Newborn Bully

Some issues with my apbt

Postby JSav86 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:52 am

I have a 7 month old pup he is really good about not going to the bathroom in the house 99% of the time ill be playing with him and he will randomly pee on the floor or right after he eats only if he eats to fast he won't ask to go out he will just poop in the corner when he does it he runs right in his cage he knows he's bad any ideas? Also he has a problem with getting overly excited when certian people come over and won't stop jumping on them I need help

ThreeTails
Newborn Bully

Re: Some issues with my apbt

Postby ThreeTails » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:55 pm

I'm not sure about the potty issue, but f he never potties in his crate, you could try feeding him in his crate, leaving him in there for a little while after he eats, then taking him out immediately.

With the excitement thing, don't feel bad! It's pretty normal, just something you'll have to work on and be consistent. Think about it: people greet puppies by squealing and wiggling around and showing general approval signs when the puppy jumps on them. Then the pup gets bigger and suddenly that behavior is no longer laughed off.

My Emma has the same issue. She turns into a total spastic wiggle worm when meeting people. What I've been doing, and you could try, is to tell the new people to ignore her until she calms down and sits. I then work with her to sit, and tell the visitor when she's calm enough to approach. So far she's figured out that her butt needs to go down to get the person to say hi, but she jumps up again the moment they start the whole "hi little puuuuuppie!" thing. So we need to keep working. The biggest issue I'm facing is getting people who are willing to stand there looking into the distance while I work to get her calmed down!

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:15 pm

It's very common for playing, drinking, and eating to cause a dog especially a pup to need to potty. You should always take them outside to potty immediately (within 5-15 mins) after doing any of the above. All of the above induce the need to potty.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

JSav86
Newborn Bully

Postby JSav86 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:27 pm

The times he goes after he eats it's 30 seconds after he eats I always take him out 1-2 hours and 5-15 mins after eating
Yes the main problem is the jumping on people when they ignore him he jumps more or uses his paws to pull there arms to him

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:54 pm

The rate at which your dog is eating and then pottying seems pretty quick. That's a tough one. Maybe if you got into the habit of feeding, watching/waiting until he's done and then immediately taking him out he'd learn the routine and wait to go until you went outside...and then once he's used to the routine start putting some time in between when he's done eating and when you take him out (starting low like 2 minutes or something very easily achieved).

Also, dog's brains don't work like ours, so he doesn't know he's bad (when he runs to his crate after). He knows that when there is poop on the floor you're upset. He doesn't understand that the act of pooping is what makes you upset. Hopefully you're not punishing him afterwards. Can you catch him in the act then pick him up and bring him outside? When ever he does manage to go potty outside you need to throw a Par-tay! Give him treats, squeal, pet him, play with him-whatever it is that lets him know you're happy with this behavior.

The easiest thing with the jumping is to prevent it. Put him up when you have people over, and let him out after the excitement dies down. Or you can put him on a leash and stand on it (making it short) so he isn't able to jump. Other than that, you can work with him as others have mentioned. Lots of people like to teach their dogs to "go to place". That could be an option.

JSav86
Newborn Bully

Postby JSav86 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:27 pm

The potty in the house in like once month he usually comes up to me and whines so I let him out the jumping he's very overly excited its only with like 3 people my brother mom and gf he knows when I get home to sit and I pet him whenever I get a treat for him he comes over sits down and waits for it he's well behaved 99% of the time ill put his treat on the table and he won't touch it until I give it to him but it's just those 3 people and like once a month he poops or if I'm playing with him once in a great while he pees on the floor

bully_mama
Newborn Bully

Postby bully_mama » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:32 pm

Maybe since you do the sit/treat, you could have your guests do it as well. Enforce what he already knows with you with your guests.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:57 pm

I've had to housebreak a lot of pups, and the thing that has always worked for me is keeping the pup confined while eating, then immediately taking the pup outside and staying out there with the pup til he or she is empty. Every time. You really need to set up a pattern of success for the pup. And consistently making it your job to make sure your pup is where he needs to be when he has to eliminate, or you should expect him to, is key. So, eat in crate or gated in kitchen, then out and you bring him back in when he's done. Play, then outside til he's peed. Then inside again, then out again til he's opened. It's repetitive, but the fewer opportunities he has to have accidents, the faster he will catch on.

Return to “Training and Behavior”