scardy dog and people selective.

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Boo8mymoney
Newborn Bully

scardy dog and people selective.

Postby Boo8mymoney » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:39 am

Boo has came a long ways in her training. She is very smart! We have moved past the basics training and is now doing trick training. She is blowing everyone minds away how fast she is is up.
Here is my dilima.... Boo is still people selective. Yesterday while in a local store a stranger asked to pet my dog. I said sure, I asked boo to sit and when the woman went to pet Boo, Boo.. refused to allow her to touch her. This has happened one other time. Can someone explain this to me further?
I am still working on getting Boo used to being walked on the street. She is a very country dog! Cars and city noise scare her. She shuts down. I think I need to start off on a side street first and work out way up. Any pointers?
Thank you everyone for your help.

sickmonkey
Newborn Bully

Re: scardy dog and people selective.

Postby sickmonkey » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:16 pm

It sounds to me like she's just a shy, spooky dog. There's not a ton you can do except start small, go slow, and reward her a ton whenever she handles something well.

And be careful with people petting her. Make sure you don't put her in a situation where she feels she has to defend herself.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:31 am

Shy dogs can take a lot of work and time to build confidence in. So don't expect a lot of improvement to happen really quickly, and take pride in the little improvements.

My boy used to be very fearful of strangers, he would bark and growl when people got near. It took about 2 1/2 years to get him to where he is now. He has not had a negative interaction with a human for over 8 months, greets people readily and actually enjoys the attention now. He progressed to the point where I'm comfortable with him as a service dog. (Today he readily accepted petting from a physically disabled man who had little control over his body and made awkward jerky movements.)

We tried many different methods before we got to that point, here's some things I learned.

Don't approach it by correcting the behaviors, it only makes it worse or suppresses the reaction. Your goal should be to change her emotional response from "scary" to "Good things happen when I meet people!".

With my boy I started out by carrying around some goodies with me, when people wanted to interact I'd say "Go say hi" and give him a treat for looking at the person. And I'd keep giving him treats while the person pet him, and I'd give him a treat if he initiated the greeting or went up to the person willingly. He started going up to the person, pushing their hand with his head and then looking back for treats. Key idea being his emotional response was changed to a positive association.

And with scary noises it was the same, I'd give a reward the moment he heard something potentially scary and give him a goodie each time he heard it.

I'd offer to do a video example but my video camera just gave out. I could possibly do a in person example, although I don't have much experience teaching others. I'll see if I can dig up any good Youtube examples.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:47 am

This video isn't exactly for the topic, but during the first bit where she's introducing the dogs to the items, that's sort of what it looks like. Rewarding the dog for interacting with it and creating a positive association. Keeping in mind though, you want to keep her under threshold (if she stops responding to commands, starts getting sharky when taking treats, won't take treats, etc), if she goes over threshold you want to create distance and move her away from the scary thing. Never force a fearful dog into a interaction. :)

Boo8mymoney
Newborn Bully

Postby Boo8mymoney » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:11 am

Awesome info!!! thank you so much!

I decided to take a few steps back. fast objects spook her like cars and loud trucks. Yesterday, we sat in our driveway and every time a car or truck went by I gave her a treat. She at one point got board and laid down. At that point I took for a short walk. She did good till a BIG truck went buy us and she got scared. So we came back to the driveway. We then played. I have never allowed her to be in the front yard other than from the front door to my car. I have been reading a lot of books about dog behavior and I know where I messed up. LOL.. I took her from calm and mellow to loud and busy with no time to adjust. I guess this is one of the main issues to some rescues that were in the same situation as Boo.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:17 pm

I'm glad she was making some progress! That's one of the downsides, that we can't always control the environment, we can do our best to avoid the situation but sometimes it's inevitable. I just try to make it as pleasant as possible when it does happen.

And as dog owners, we all mess up along the way so don't beat yourself up if you missed something. You're willing to work with her and are trying to do it right, that's more than most dog owners can say. :)

creiter
Newborn Bully

Postby creiter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Celeste, you sound awesome... have you posted about what worked for your dog? I would be very interested in reading about your journey together. Yours reminds me so much of Duke, it really gives me hope that all this patience and hard work WILL result in something positive :) It has been a year since I rescued my boy, and we have a long way to go, but stories like yours get me through the rough days.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:14 pm

creiter wrote:Celeste, you sound awesome... have you posted about what worked for your dog? I would be very interested in reading about your journey together. Yours reminds me so much of Duke, it really gives me hope that all this patience and hard work WILL result in something positive :) It has been a year since I rescued my boy, and we have a long way to go, but stories like yours get me through the rough days.

:x Thank you :oops:

I haven't posted in detail what I do in different situations, no. I wanted to make a video since I myself am more visual but I don't have the equipment to do so. A friend of mine's interested in doing various videos though, she may be open to it

But thank you, and I'm glad I could provide you with some motivation^^ There definitely are rough days, but they're worth it for the good ones.

Return to “Training and Behavior”