Pit service dog?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
loophole
Newborn Bully

Pit service dog?

Postby loophole » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:22 pm

Is anyone familiar with training or info for training a service dog for someone who has anxiety related issues and a little more then just that. I'm interested in getting my dog certified.. I understand not all dogs make good service dogs and that it usually takes at least two years. I also know buying can cost upwards of 20,000. I'd like to give this a go on my own... State of Indiana if that helps laws.. Certified tips... I appreciate any good info and Or sound advice. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk HD

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Re: Pit service dog?

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:03 pm

If the dog's presence is what prevents the anxiety, it's not a service animal. Those are Emotional Support Animals and they do not have public access rights, they have housing rights but that's it. They have to be trained to do something, they have to have a task.

Here's the ADA(Federal law) involving Service Animals
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

There is not certification for service dogs, those sites that offer you ID cards for money are scams. The only type of ID card I would ever use (and I do have one) is one that has a direct excerpt from the ADA laws and the ADA's contact info/information line.

Any breed can be a service dog, and characteristics you want to look for are going to vary depending on the dog's purpose. You can train your own dog to be a service dog.

What I would recommend if you're going to train at home is that you ask a certified trainer to observe you while you're out and about and write a summary of what they see and if they feel your dog is safe in the public.

General things:
The dog has to be under control, you can be asked to leave if they are not.

Dog must either ignore or show no real interest in other dogs or people. (Unless released to greet them, I tell my boy "Go say hi" if its okay for him to interact while on duty.)

This link explains the differences between Service Dogs, Therapy Dogs, and Emotional Support Animals and their rights.
http://pleasedontpetme.com/differences.php

loophole
Newborn Bully

Postby loophole » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:16 pm

yeah i've read about emotional support dogs and service dogs.. this would be a service dog... help with several situations.. forgetfullness.. panic attacks.. mood changes... etc.... i'll check into the links.. i know.. or I thought I knew that each state has it's own standards on a service dog and the ins and outs on the rules..

loophole
Newborn Bully

Postby loophole » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:25 pm

I figured the CGC Certification would be a good place to start and then go from there.. I have a good ways to go and a lot of assessing to do on the situation. Have a good trainer I can go to at any time for questions as well as extra help... she's been in the business in the states and overseas and is good at what she does... all though she does not train specifically for service animals she knows what is expected of them etc...

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:47 am

Loophole, you might look into getting your dog Temperament Tested as well.

http://atts.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

loophole
Newborn Bully

Postby loophole » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:13 pm

Thanks for the help.. these certifications will be the first steps I take towards deciding to go further with this... My life right now more or less is a bubble in certain situations. I don't go to large events..(which stinks).. I wear head phones when I have to go grocery shopping.... Hyperventilate and in rare occasions stop breathing entirely at night which scares the living hell out of me. Panic attacks suck... I'm medicated which helps.. but side effects are not too cool and make me feel dumb which can add to the anxiety...(memory loss).. etc... yes my dog is an emotional booster but if he could wake me to the onset of an attack... notify me before hand... notify me on driving etc... and help with taking meds... this would literally be a God send....I also have a mood disorder so catching my voice early and pulling me off to go for a walk would just be amazing... looking for a lot...even thinking about it makes me really consider if I could handle the work load to do it.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:28 pm

loophole wrote:yeah i've read about emotional support dogs and service dogs.. this would be a service dog... help with several situations.. forgetfullness.. panic attacks.. mood changes... etc.... i'll check into the links.. i know.. or I thought I knew that each state has it's own standards on a service dog and the ins and outs on the rules..

From my understanding when comparing the federal SD laws to local, the less strict overrides the other. However that can vary with different situations.

CGC and TT are really not going to help you in terms of proving your dog is an SD. Like I said, your best bet is to consult with a professional trainer and have them do a write up on whether or not they feel your dog is safe in a public environment. From there, training the tasks can be done by you or you can get help from one who trains SDs.

A task I'd recommend considering is teaching him to retrieve your medications. :)

loophole
Newborn Bully

Postby loophole » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:54 pm

Don't know if the message was a joke or not lol.. About the medicine. Yeah agreed I will have to get a trainer involved at some point. Obviously heeling etc is going to be a need. I don't care about the certifications near as much as him being able to handle the exposure and remain calm. Isn't there something u can do that involves having a dog in "training" that allows them to be in public places..? This is obviously after I think he's ready. I don't want to set him up for failure.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Only a full fledged service dog has public access rights, however, you can go into the building (without the dog at first) and ask the people in the business if they'd be okay with you bringing him in to work on socializing and training to get ready for real SD work. Some places like Tractor Suppy do allow dogs though. Our local Sportsman's Warehouse allows pets as well

Oh! and I wasn't joking, retrieving meds is a legit task. :) It's one of my boy's tasks.

loophole
Newborn Bully

Postby loophole » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:25 pm

Great ideas. Thank you... Do you or are u working on a pit service dog yourself?

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:33 pm

My service dog is a German Shepherd/Labrador cross. My Pit Bull is dog reactive, although she improved immensely, she still gets overwhelmed/over threshold at times that would affect her ability to focus on her work. :)

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:50 pm

From what I understand the SD's "task(s)" must be something you are otherwise unable to do yourself. Bringing you meds only counts if for example you were physically unable to move to get to them etc. Some things are SD "task" qualifiers for some people and some are just good things to have the dog do for you but not necessarily something you are incapable of, which wouldn't count as a "task".

loophole
Newborn Bully

Postby loophole » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:50 pm

I agree with what your saying but if memory loss is a problem and causes me to forget my meds (weekends i've forgotten several times and i've also forgotten on a somewhat moderate basis during the week before work... I would think that would count for a reason to have him know how to at least nudge me... like nudging me when I get my coffee etc...I would get the hint... my memory loss is pretty bad... just the other day I thought my first daughter was turning 1 in fact she is turning 2... i feel super ashamed about this and it's bothered me since... as i'm extremely involved with my kids... this is just the impact of my meds.. as I did have a good memory... :\ no pitty parties.. just want to focus on the service dog side of things.. i gotta a therapist and counceling for the pitty party lol.... there not to light on me either ;)

loophole
Newborn Bully

Postby loophole » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:57 pm

Just to point out.. I can function in very light circumstances.... I do cause my family hell in a lot of situations.. tomorrow being easter... will not be a vacation for me... will be more less torture.. I CAN function.... however a bad situation can trigger a panic attack or at worst me going berserk.... a dog trained I believe truly would be able to help me get away and also let people know I do have some type of disorder without screaming it out myself when I walk in the door... I get tired of people looking at me when I have head phones in even.. but it would be worse the other way around... so can I function? yes? does it make my life hell? yes most definitely... a companion would be a huge emotional support and could (with the help of a trainer in this are) help me see the onsets of issues coming on.. and helping me to leave...

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:38 pm

Dogs 'reminding you' to take meds usually doesn't hold up as a legitimate task to have a service dog for because an alarm can do the same thing. I understand where you are coming from, as my dog is my psychiatric service dog. Think to yourself: "What effect does my disability have on my life? What am I unable to do as a result? How can a train my dog to do it for me?" to come up with legitimate 'tasks'. ;)

Return to “Training and Behavior”