Dog paces

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
randomroads
Matured Bully

Dog paces

Postby randomroads » Fri May 24, 2013 12:36 am

Brought home a 12 month old pit mix. He was found as a stray and I adopted from AC. He just had his neuter surgery Wednesday but before that when I took him out into the play yard at the shelter he was really awesome. Super friendly, wanted to climb in my lap, followed me everywhere (seriously, he didn't want to leave my side but he was really happy about it, not stressed).

I got him home Wednesday and I've been keeping him on a leash when he's not in the kennel but he paces constantly. When I saw him in the kennel at AC he wasn't pacing and he didn't do it in the play yard. It could be pain and stress and worry but it's kind of annoying too.

Besides time is there anything I can do to get him to relax a bit more? When I made the leash super short and gave him my attention he laid down in my arms. When I didn't and ignored him he was pacing so I put him in the kennel because he lays down in there. I'm holding onto the leash, not letting it drag.

jamielvsaustin

Re: Dog paces

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri May 24, 2013 8:17 am

My guess would be that it's a totally new environment for him and he doesn't know how to behave...along with, he might be uncomfortable from his neuter-did they give you any sort of pain meds? And like you said-it's just going to take time. Typically I'd say he needs to be tired out, but with the surgery you've probably been instructed to keep him kind of quiet. Could you maybe do training or WTE toys? There's the 101 things to do with a box option (and tons of YouTube videos for it) that maybe you could look into.
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/167

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Fri May 24, 2013 2:11 pm

No pain meds, that wasn't even an option. I asked.

When I took him out this morning I had him on the flexi lead so he could have some space and he ran circles around me. He was extended to the very end of the leash and just kept running. He did that yesterday too, only he wasn't running just walking fast. He wasn't trying to get away, he was just having fun and he kept coming to me to try and entice me to play. He's in good shape for being a stray. Maybe he was a chained dog and is used to going in circles? Who knows, and it doesn't really matter I guess.

Right now he's in the x-pen with a frozen peanut butter and banana kong and while he enjoyed it for a little while he's still randomly getting up and walking in a circle.

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Fri May 31, 2013 11:03 pm

Very happy to report that he's doing really well. He now goes into the kennel willingly and immediately lays down where as before he'd stand there and stare out the door and refuse to lay down unless he was just that tired. His pacing has slowed dramatically. He's also gaining weight.

Return to “Training and Behavior”