new puppy scared and stubborn?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
maitrees1990
Newborn Bully

new puppy scared and stubborn?

Postby maitrees1990 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:22 pm

hey i just got nina 3 month apbt. shes brown with white on her chest and 2 front paws. i noticed she doesnt have much drive and refuses to listen sometimes even with food. she also has a fear of loud engine noises. we passed one this morning and when the car noise got closer by her she panicked and ran the other way but i had the leash on her and didnt let run. was that the correct thing to do? also when we begin our walks she is to scared to leave her territory so i just carry her till will move couple houses and shes usually ok with it if i nudge her alittle bit.

last question what is the best way to train a puppy to sit down speak shake play dead please involve detail thanks!!!!

maitrees1990
Newborn Bully

Re: new puppy scared and stubborn?

Postby maitrees1990 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:01 pm

ive been watching utube of other pits and they are doing alot more tricks then i am. my girl knows how to sit down stay speak when shes in the kennel. but it seems like shes just doing a random thing everytime and if she gets it right i give her the treat i dont feel like she she understands that sit means sit on your but and same for down. she is good with stay. other than that shes a good girl does anybody know how long it usually takes for a puppy to fully trust you. thanks!!

Diamondlil
Newborn Bully

Re: new puppy scared and stubborn?

Postby Diamondlil » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:35 am

A brand new puppy at 3 months old needs time and patience, she's just a baby! Everything is new and she's not got the security of her littermates and mom any more. So slow down and take time with her, this is literally the time for baby steps that will shape how she bonds with you. Right now she has no reason at all to trust you. You have to work on that to make her feel safe and help her settle in. Has she had her shots yet? If not she shouldn't be out walking on her leash. Also stick to very short walks right now as she's still growing and long walks can damage her joints.

Return to “Training and Behavior”