4 month puppy causing trouble ?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
maitrees1990
Newborn Bully

4 month puppy causing trouble ?

Postby maitrees1990 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:19 am

hey i have a 4 month brown american pit bull terrier. shes a low level energery dog. her being at that age how developed do you think her brain is and how much should she know by now? anytime i put on a leash she puts tension on the line but after a slight tug she gets over it and comes along...
im not sure if i should just always have the leash on and give her a tug when she doenst listen or use no leash and bait her with food or some toy to get her to follow me....
she knows how to sit stay down and speak but she wont do those out in public on our walks sometimes..especially speak... does anybody know if its just cause shes to young and scared? thanks guys

Amie

Re: 4 month puppy causing trouble ?

Postby Amie » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:57 am

Use a leash, don't tug, use food.

She's four months old. That's like a human just learning to walk.

She's a baby.

maitrees1990
Newborn Bully

Postby maitrees1990 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:46 am

am i asking to much of her :/ what age can i start trusting her to listen to me in public

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:38 am

Always use a leash when off your confined, fenced private property. If there is no fence, always use a leash, period. I'd ditch the tug and use treats if it were me and my choice. Your pup is a toddler. Toddlers have short attention spans and a need to curiously explore their world.

There is no magic age in which a dog will do what you ask in public. There are three D's you need to work on with training: Distraction, Duration, and Distance.

Distraction means you slowly build up the distraction level while maintaining the dogs attention onto you. You have to build up to the public setting. First, your house. Then the back yard, then the front yard, then the sidewalk, then the sidewalk as people walk by, then on a busier sidewalk, so on and so forth. You only move on to the next phase when your dog is being successful at the current distraction level 85% of the time.

Duration refers to how long they do the trick. For example, STAY. You have to build up to your dog remaining in a sit/stay. First work on time - you start with a half second and slowly build up to minutes.

Distance refers to the dog listening to you while you are at some distance away. An example would be a sit/stay, and you walking away while the dog maintains it.

With all of these you build on success. Start easy and slowly make it harder when the dog proves they are being successful at the current level.

Here I am with my dog, Violet, working on the three D's. She's 10 months old here and therefore much more advanced than your baby. This didn't happen over night. I had been consistently training and working with her since we got her at 10 weeks of age. I clicker train and use positive reinforcement.

Return to “Training and Behavior”