My dog attacked a child...what do I do?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Newborn Bully

My dog attacked a child...what do I do?

Postby thejumpman23cb » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:45 pm

My dog is the sweetest dog ever, and normally a big woos. But today was halloween, and we were expecting company. The doorbell rang, and expecting to see my friend (who my dog knows and loves), it was a 10 year old child dressed as a big Ape and pretending to attack me (being festive). My dog attacked the child, and he needed stitches in the Hospital. What do i do? I fear for a liability suit, and I fear for myself, financially, and my dog's life. What can happen, and what do I do?

Please, do not say, your dog needs to be put down he attacked a kid, or get professional training. what can I do (stress on the I).

Any useful advice is highly appreciated.

Forum Junky

Re: My dog attacked a child...what do I do?

Postby GoingPostal » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:52 am

Wow stellar example of why halloween and dogs don't mix well. Have you talked to a lawyer or the parents of the kid? It really depends on your local laws what happens to the dog, I take it animal control or the police haven't stopped by? Does your insurance company cover pit bulls and dog bites?

Postby Amie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:44 am

Why don't you want to hear "get professional training"?

It would seriously help your cause if you made a concerted effort to show the parents and legalities representing this child that you are doing everything in your power to not let this happen again. Asking advice on the internet isn't going to help anything, but getting a professional trainer might.

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:36 pm

You need to speak with an attorney or a lawyer-ASAP. You need to keep track of everything that has transpired since the incident-anything at all related to it. You need to do exactly what Amie suggested and start busting your ass to prove this was an absolute accident that will NEVER happen again. Have proof on hand that your dog is up-to-date with vaccines and registrations-incase the parents come back looking for it. Do you have any records of training, titling or certification for your dog? Any Canine Good Citizen or Temperament Test type stuff? Perhaps letters of reference from neighbors, friends, vet, etc. I would send flowers, a card, a phone call-something to show how remorseful you are of the incident. I would offer and follow through on taking care of ALL of the costs for the child's wounds.

Basically-it comes down to the parents of the child. They can either be cool, pissed and realize it was an honest accident that has taught you a life lesson...or they can be unforgiven and sue the chocolate out of you, taking you for a ton of money and possibly the life of your dog.

Your insurance will likely drop you or raise your rates-to me-that would be minor, but still a pain in the butt.

Some of the stuff I've suggested can be viewed as "admitting guilt"-and that is why you need to speak to a lawyer/attorney. Depending on how far this goes-you want to make sure you step off on the right foot. While yes, it was your fault for not preventing the bite, it can be viewed as the child's (or parent of the child) fault for...what's the word I'm looking for-acting menacingly towards the dog (in a big scary outfit). While you should have known better, the dog had no idea.

You're on a slippery slope and you need to proceed with extreme caution.

Matured Bully

Postby Apbt4life » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:33 am

whats the update? jope things worked out..

Return to “Training and Behavior”