Has anyones dog attacked a human?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
chas
Newborn Bully

Postby chas » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:45 am

I have a great intrest in animals and dogs in particular. I have owned 6 dogs in my life and NONE of them even came close to biting someone.
In all honesty, I might have seen a dog bite a person 3 or 4 times in my whole life. Even then, they just snapped at someone. The ONLY time that a person was actually hurt from a dog that I can remember was........

I was about 14 or so and my fiend was about 12. The family had bought a massive Rottweiler for the 12yr old boy. I grew up around that dog. We usedto wrestle with it in the field and it never showed the slighest agression, even with 12-14 yr old kids roughing it up. It was so fast (we used to ride motorcycles on the back road and the dog would keep up to almost 40mph for over 1 mile). The dog would sleep with the boy and was extreemly protective of the boy.
One day, the neighbor became upset with us children (we were playing outside and he was grumpy?) The man was drinking and became violent. He grabbed the boy and began to beat him. The boy was screaming and his dog responded. The man grabbed a broom handle but it didnt matter in the end. The police arrested the man who had to get 100+ stitches.

THE END

I hope you liked stoy time with chas..lol
honestly thats the only time I ever saw a dog hurt anyone.

chas

ogionikone
Newborn Bully

Postby ogionikone » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:31 pm

serves him right

too bad he didnt need more.

chas
Newborn Bully

Postby chas » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:07 am

*story time* with chas... a slight correction there

chia pit
Matured Bully

Postby chia pit » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:44 pm

:sad: yes , but it wasnt a pit it was my Great Dane

MemphisBrindle
Newborn Bully

Postby MemphisBrindle » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:57 am

memphis has never bit anyone. but i was in tj maxx yesterday and someone had a small fu-fu dog. of course my son asked the woman if he could pet it and she said yes, and as my son was pulling his hand away the dog tried to attack him. which pissed me off,why would you bring your dog in public. or she should have just said no you cant pet my dog.

KennaE26
Newborn Bully

Postby KennaE26 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:04 pm

My dog Summer came to us fear aggressive at 5 months (no socialization), and she nipped a passer-by unprovoked before we really knew what to do. We sought training and worked with her, and had great success with her acceptance of strangers, both at home and in public. Now she's three years old, and last week she nipped again, unprovoked, but clearly a fear reaction, and we realized that we did neglect to address some levels of fear that are still there - namely costumed people and skateboards. We plan to seek additional private training to work on these specific triggers, but we're ashamed about this! We really believed we had her past this response.

I saw a few other posts from people with some fear-biting issues, so I know I'm not alone. I believe this can be worked out of a dog. I believe that because we took responsibility for her, we have an obligation to do everything we can to help her, not put her down for a failure on our part.

Sammi
Newborn Bully

Postby Sammi » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:03 am

Sammi has never bit anyone and never really barkd until I moved back in with my parents. Now she picked up the barking and growling from my parent's black lab mix.

A lot of times if I'm on the deck in the backyard at night and one of my buddies comes around back she'll stand on the deck, growl and bark. After I tell her its ok she gets excited and runs over and greets whoever is there.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:23 am

KennaE26 wrote:My dog Summer came to us fear aggressive at 5 months (no socialization), and she nipped a passer-by unprovoked before we really knew what to do. We sought training and worked with her, and had great success with her acceptance of strangers, both at home and in public. Now she's three years old, and last week she nipped again, unprovoked, but clearly a fear reaction, and we realized that we did neglect to address some levels of fear that are still there - namely costumed people and skateboards. We plan to seek additional private training to work on these specific triggers, but we're ashamed about this! We really believed we had her past this response.

I saw a few other posts from people with some fear-biting issues, so I know I'm not alone. I believe this can be worked out of a dog. I believe that because we took responsibility for her, we have an obligation to do everything we can to help her, not put her down for a failure on our part.

If she was fearful then it was NOT unprovoked. Please be careful when yo use that word...

I would get some private training from a behaviorist asap. In the meantime, do not take your dog in public where she has the opportunity to snap at somebody....nobody needs to see an unstable PB showing human aggression since that is NOT common for the breed (but yet what everybody who doesn't know them "thinks" they are supposed to be b/c of the media).

However, if you consult a trainer or behaviorist and it cannot be corrected, PTS may be the only option. If it comes down to it, just know that it is not a failure on your part since you did all you can. Some dogs (regardless of breed) have issues no matter what you do.

MyNameSpaghetti
Matured Bully

Postby MyNameSpaghetti » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:49 am

No HA in this house. I've had protective dobies that would bark normally at people passing by our yard, but when I and my other smallish friends were playing, they'd stand as frozen guards between the fence and us and do that deep warning growl/bark. Very good babysitters. And very delicate with me. (Age 5-8)

Biggie has only warning barked at one person. Lots of people ring my doorbell: neighbors, mail man, delivery men, and to all of which he usually just stands and barks once (just in case I'm deaf, I suppose). And thats all. He's not a greeter, he's a peek around the corner-er. But the doorbell rang last week and he was off the couch before I was. When I answered the door he was by my side, stiff legged. I grabbed his collar before I opened it, only a few inches. It was a tall skinny man talking about patching holes in roofs after Hurricane Fay. He wanted to talk to me about the forest we're growing in our gutters and did I have time for an estimate, but he made me nervous, and Biggies reaction compounded that emotion. I opened it enough that he could see me holding on to my suddenly not-so-shy dog, and he backed up.

I've always thought that he'd be the dog barking, but hiding on the couch or under the table during an invasion, but I'm suddenly a bit more confident of his involvement in pack "safety".

Long story, short point.
No. No HA biting, lunges, or attacks. Only one person hackle raising incident, and that estimate includes his post-adoption fear of men.

pitbullmommy
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pitbullmommy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:50 pm

I have been checking on here again because I am going through some hard moments and a lot of things have happened lately.

I have been in this living situation with some family members, and it has been going on for so long. We were all living together, and they didn't respect my children, dogs, just us overall. I just moved, so that my mom, step dad, and uncle would move on their own. They are staying at my apartment (yeah, now I am back at an apartment) until the first of Sept, and as always, they don't respect rules and all. There was a fight among the dogs, my JRT, GR and PitBull because they let him loose and there were toys, kids, it was a multidog fight. My mom it's screaming like people are being killed. I got in there and grabbed Inuyasha, and my other dog. They took my little JRT away. I mean, I acted fast and there were only few minor cuts. Now, everyone was calling Inuyasha a killer dog, and hating on him because they had seen how vicious he was. He didn't do anything to me I argue, did you see how I was able to pull him away, and he didn't bite me did he?

I am starting with this because a lot of things have happened, dogs stressed, family, everything. I have always bragged that Inuyasha is a fine and perfect dog. He has been around children (takes a lot from them), friends, strangers, he is always fine. However, something happened after I took Inuyasha to the vet.

Inuyasha hasn't been to the Vet many times, it hasn't been necessary. Probably around 4 times in his life time (he is going to turn 3 on December). Inuyasha was fine with the nurses, they were loving on him, and he was being himself. He got his temp taken, and he was fine. We placed him on the table and the vet listened to his heart, and he was fine. She touched his mouth to look at his teeth, and he snarled viciously. He stopped inmediately, they brought a muzzle in :crybaby: . He was fine during the rest of the exam. I pulled him out on the waiting room after my husband was paying, and some strangers pet him, and he was very nice. I told him to sit, stay, and he ate some treats while I said gentle and he delicately ate them out of my hand, and they were telling me how good of a dog he was. I just didn't believe it so much after what happened.

This is not the worst part though. The other day, My husband and Inuyasha were in bed sleeping. My son went into the room, and after a little while he came out crying. My husband had woken up and told my son to leave. My husband said he woke up to a growl. He said Inuyasha was snoring, and all of a sudden he heard a growl. My son it's pretty annoying, jumps and pulls (not that I just let him do it) Inuyasha it's pretty good with them, extremelly good. I do not allow it; and I know my husband was in there. My husband says my son probably poked Inuyasha in the eye or ear, and he was startled. However, I saw my son had a little bump on the side of his lip. He had a bump!!! I asked him several times if Inuyasha bit him, and he kept making the growling noice and opening his mouth. My husband tried to say that he bit his lip himself, but I really thought Inuyasha did it. I don't know what to think.

I have to say that this has been totally unexpected and dissapointing. I went to the room and Inuyasha acted as if nothing happened. He is not an agressive dog, he licked my son a minute after. I know that the bump was a nipped, if it was from Inuyasha, but I really don't know what to think. I thought of Inuyasha as the perfect, never getting mad at anything dog, and I was obviously wrong. I am worried he is turning into something else. I love this dog!! I want to do the right thing though. I have contacted a trainer, and I will do everything I have to do if I can fix this, but I want to hear what you all have to say. I am devastated!

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:36 pm

If your home is stressful and "unstable" for yourself, how do you expect your dog to act?

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:05 pm

Sigh. People really do forget that, as patient as dogs are, they ARE still dogs. Dogs vocalize in many ways, barks, growls, etc. to let us know they are uncomfortable with things. So, he was uncomfortable with the vet grabbing his mouth, and he said so. He made no move to BITE, correct?

There is a reason there is the saying "let sleeping dog lie" and that is because a dog, while sleeping, may not have total control over his reactions. Another words, a dog woke rudely from a sound sleep, does not have time to process WHO or WHAT he is reacting to. The fact that your son had a 'bump' leads me to believe that the dog realized who your son was before making contact "OH! It's YOU, I thought something was trying to poke my eye out! Since it's YOU, OK."

He is still the same dog you love, he just acted like...well, a dog.

pitbullmommy
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pitbullmommy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:30 am

Kingsgurl wrote:Sigh. People really do forget that, as patient as dogs are, they ARE still dogs. Dogs vocalize in many ways, barks, growls, etc. to let us know they are uncomfortable with things. So, he was uncomfortable with the vet grabbing his mouth, and he said so. He made no move to BITE, correct?

There is a reason there is the saying "let sleeping dog lie" and that is because a dog, while sleeping, may not have total control over his reactions. Another words, a dog woke rudely from a sound sleep, does not have time to process WHO or WHAT he is reacting to. The fact that your son had a 'bump' leads me to believe that the dog realized who your son was before making contact "OH! It's YOU, I thought something was trying to poke my eye out! Since it's YOU, OK."

He is still the same dog you love, he just acted like...well, a dog.

Well, I am so happy and relieved to hear this! I mean really, I just don't want to be making excuses for my dog. I know he has been uncomfortable, and I am trying my best to fix these family issues. I have been feeling and believing exactly the way you are telling me. I just wanted reassurance, and I am so glad I got it. I am working to make a more stable household for my dog. I want him to be happy, and protect him as well as my family. I do not expect my dog to be stable if my family it's not stable, and I don't expect him to act stellar in a bad situation. I just got worried, and I do not want to miss signs or warnings or be blinded my love. I want to understand what is happening, and that is why I am here asking. I really don't want anything bad to happen. I will do everything I can, and I am very thankful for your advice.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:41 am

Pitbullmommy, you might want to teach your son to talk to the dog when he is sleeping, to let him know he is close by.That helps your child not be in reach if the dog is suddenly startled.

Martink
Newborn Bully

Postby Martink » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:01 pm

We've unfortunately had a couple of incidents here in South Africa where pit bulls have attacked kids... but theres always a story behind the story. The last incident I can remember was a case where the dog was aggrivated by kids walking passed the gate, the dog managed to get through the gate attacking one of the kids. The kids mother managed to come to the rescue lifting the child into a nereby tree, at the same time the mother was bittin a couple of times as well by the dog. Anyway, once the pit bull was retreated and the police arrived they found that the owner of the dog had been using him for fighting purposes which explained the dogs aggresion.

I like the way this reporter thinks:
http://www.news24.com/News24/MyNews24/Letters/0,,2-2127-2129_2383237,00.html

One can never generalize, pit bulls are aggressive by nature but are the first to protect children and the rest of their family so when a pit bull ever attacks a child its by no means following its instincts.... its unfortunately a "GOOD dog made BAD" kind of situation.

Return to “Training and Behavior”