Getting a dog to listen outside

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
loye
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Getting a dog to listen outside

Postby loye » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:42 pm

So me and my bf just recently moved into our new house which has a VERY large fenced in backyard. One of the main reasons for us getting this particular house (besides the house itself lol) Well, we didn't want to have to put Izzy on a run or tie out since the backyard is completely fenced in because we want her to have full run of the backyard to play and what not. Well, now she will NOT listen while she is outside! She comes when she feels like it, if she gets something she is not supposed to have (she has gotten large paint chips from the the house being remodeled as well as the last few days she's been getting dead animals, etc). we try to get it from her and she takes off. She'll get just within reach then jet off again like she thinks it's a game. She barks non-stop. If she sees either of the neighbors out, she barks and barks and barks, we have tried making her stop, but she won't. She also has started digging. She used to listen really good, now, it's only when she feels like it.

anyone have any tips?

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:47 pm

1. new moves can be stressful for a dog

2. how is her training indoors?

loye
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby loye » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:11 pm

for the most part, she listens very well inside. She will come, lay down, sit, shake, she listens to no (most the time). The only thing we really have a problem with indoors is keeping her off the furniture, and getting into the bathroom garbage. Occassionally she may chew something she isn't supposed to (like my bfs hat)

She gets a little mouthy when she plays sometimes, but only with me and my bf. She is VERY careful with the baby.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:20 pm

loye wrote:for the most part, she listens very well inside. She will come, lay down, sit, shake, she listens to no (most the time). The only thing we really have a problem with indoors is keeping her off the furniture, and getting into the bathroom garbage. Occassionally she may chew something she isn't supposed to (like my bfs hat)

She gets a little mouthy when she plays sometimes, but only with me and my bf. She is VERY careful with the baby.

Most of the time means that she isn't fully trained :) . In order for her to listen outside, she has to listen to you inside. More obedience training is in order and outdoor training on a leash :thumbsup:

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:24 pm

Alrighty! The rule of thumb to get reliable response outdoors, is first, you must have 100% reliability indoors or in a low distracting enviroment. Expecting a dog to immediately respond the same when they are outdoors without slowly building up distraction is only going to make you frustrated. Imagine all the cool things that are outdoors! New smells, awesome tasting dead carcasses (I'm sorry to tell you, your dog is a prey animal. Dead animals are delicious! lol ), birds, things to chew on... wow! In short, the outdoors is far more interesting and disctracting than inside. You have to build up a solid response first under low distraction, and then increase the distraction level.

For coming when called: start indoors. Use an extremely awesome, super yummy, top of the world treat when she responds (that she ONLY gets when asked to come). I don't know if you have been doing that already or not, but if not, it works like a charm. She'll associate "come" with "woohoo! mom/dad has a yummy treat for me!!!!" Don't expect her to come great distances at first, just a few feet. The more distance, the more chance for distractions along the way. Once she's extremely reliable in the house at any distance, thne move it outside, and start back at just a few feet.

For the dead animals and paint chips: Keep her away from the paint chips. Put up a barrier if you need to. For the dead animals, teach her a reliable "leave it" or "drop it". You can't keep her from seeking these out, but when she does she will have learned to give the object up. And don't chase her to get it from her, this only starts a game of chase!!!

Digging: build a dig pit or invest in a sand box!!

Barking: teach a "quiet" cue.

sorry this is a little rushed.. trying to work and type... I'm a bad employee lol

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:27 pm

oh, and:

when barking... is is only at the neighbors or other times as well?

Luvabully
Adolescent Bully

Postby Luvabully » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:40 pm

I taught Delilah to come to me when I blow a dog whistle. To teach her I just blew the whistle and gave her a treat, sort of the same way you "load the clicker". Anyway, within a day she figured out that whistle=treat and would instantly come to me when I blow it. I chose a whistle because I tend to be very quiet, even when yelling and the whistle carries better. I also don't like people seeing me yelling like an idiot to my, er rather rambunctous pit bull to "come here".

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Luvabully wrote:I taught Delilah to come to me when I blow a dog whistle. To teach her I just blew the whistle and gave her a treat, sort of the same way you "load the clicker". Anyway, within a day she figured out that whistle=treat and would instantly come to me when I blow it. I chose a whistle because I tend to be very quiet, even when yelling and the whistle carries better. I also don't like people seeing me yelling like an idiot to my, er rather rambunctous pit bull to "come here".

Good thinking!! :thumbsup: I, however, have a deaf dog, so I get to flap like and idiot to call my dog. lol

Luvabully
Adolescent Bully

Postby Luvabully » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:02 pm

Stormi wrote:Good thinking!! :thumbsup: I, however, have a deaf dog, so I get to flap like and idiot to call my dog. lol

I might actually pay money to see that! Good for you though. A friend back in Chicago trained a Collie puppy who was born without eyes. I can't even imagine attempting to train a "handicapped" dog. You guys are amazing!

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:10 pm

Luvabully wrote:
I might actually pay money to see that! Good for you though. A friend back in Chicago trained a Collie puppy who was born without eyes. I can't even imagine attempting to train a "handicapped" dog. You guys are amazing!

He's got a solid recall now, but when he was a puppy I'd be jumping up and down, waving my arms like mad trying to get his attention. I'm sure it was quite the sight lol

So, to the OP, don't worry, we've all had that frustration of trying desperately to get a pup to "come" under circumstances that even we know they are highly unlikely to. They key is, don't call "come" (aside from in training) unless you know your dog will respond. And if she doesn't, its your job to carefully go get her (and NOT initiate "chase"), and bring her back to where you called her from.

TheDieseltruck
Adolescent Bully

Postby TheDieseltruck » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:22 pm

Very good advice from everyone. You also might want to try a long training leash (ours is 25ft. I think) in the backyard. What I did was once I had Jahk and Domino's recall down pat in the house, I took him/her outside on the leash and called to them. If they were distracted I'd pull the leash just a tiny bit to get their attention and say 'come'. Also, I squat down when I tell them to come and I am very excited about it. I heard that when you're lower to the ground the dog thinks you want to play and is more inclined to come to you. It's quite a sight now, I'm 4' 11 and a buck five and when I call come to my dogs you see these two big pit bull mixes booking it towards me and almost bowling me over. Then the love love love excitemtn good dogs! ensues. They love to come to me because they know 1. How happy I am about it and 2. They get lots and lots of love and butt scratches and praise when they do it. Come to think of it, I think I only used treats in their recall training a couple times, just as reinforcers. I like to rely mostly on praise and letting the dog know they did good; treats are just a wonderful added bonus.

loye
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby loye » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:51 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! Very helpful stuff...she's starting to listen to me a lot better, but my bf is another story lol.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:55 pm

loye wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone! Very helpful stuff...she's starting to listen to me a lot better, but my bf is another story lol.

lol Yeah, I can train dogs all day long, but those tricky boys are a whole nother story!!

bulldogger72
Matured Bully

Postby bulldogger72 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:24 pm

long leash training also helps them to understand their boundaries outside. if they dont listen its east to "draw" them in, and start over.

Return to “Training and Behavior”