Help! Trying to decide if I can help this 4 mon. old boy...

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
gemglo
Adolescent Bully

Help! Trying to decide if I can help this 4 mon. old boy...

Postby gemglo » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:19 pm

Ok, so in a moment of weakness I was looking at craigslist. I saw this ad:
4 Month Old Pitbull Male
We took this pup as he was very under weight and needed someone to take good care of him.Well we got him to put weight on and he looks great now.But he is very aggressive with other dogs while feeding, We have three other dogs and I can't take a chance on him hurting one of them as one of them is a chihuahua.He also is good around children but he can be aggressive and would not recommend him around young children and he does not like cats.He will be a great watch dog but he needs someone who can take the time to work with him.20.00 rehoming fee.
I emailed the poster and asked some questions. Here they are:
Can you explain what you mean by child aggressive?
answer: The people I got him from said he was not good with there children and had singled one out that he would try to bite and growel at. I have had him around my children 10 and 17 and my grandchildren 1 and 2 and he did fine but I would not leave them alone together as I do not know him all that well

Has he been vaccinated & neutered?
answer: 1 shot, wormed & no

This is what she said about the food aggressiveness:
He gets along with his sister , my dobie and my chihuahua when I'm present.But if one of them try to take a toy he becomes vicious not just an angry about taking the toy he goes to extreme.The food situation is the same, that is why I feed them seperate.I would not leave him alone with my other dogs as I would be afraid I would come home to someone severely hurt.I think with someone who can give him alot of attention and training he would be fine

Then she said that she has his sister which she got at 3 weeks old, so I emailed her back and asked about that.
answer:I've only had the male for a week.They did not have the money to feed him and are being evicted so I took him.When we got his sister I thought they were 8 weeks old and I am used to small dogs so I didn't think anything about her size.Why they gave her to us at three weeks I don't know but I found out when she was 8 weeks old that I had gotten her at 3 weeks.

So I'm thinking a lot of his issues are from being separated from mom/sibs too early, neglected, & not feed well. The child aggression sounds fear based to me.

I've fostered for 2 years, and the rescue would pay for his vetting so that is a non-issue. Do you think he could be worked with? I'm afraid if I don't get him, he'll end up with a fighter, making puppies, or on the news.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:52 pm

Poor guy.

Sounds like some serious resource guarding issues. Can be most likely fixed with some very tedious and time-consuming D & C.

There seems to be no evidence of child aggression, only alleged?

sparkplug
Newborn Bully

Re: Help! Trying to decide if I can help this 4 mon. old bo

Postby sparkplug » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:53 pm

gemglo wrote:Ok, so in a moment of weakness I was looking at craigslist. I saw this ad:
4 Month Old Pitbull Male
We took this pup as he was very under weight and needed someone to take good care of him.Well we got him to put weight on and he looks great now.But he is very aggressive with other dogs while feeding, We have three other dogs and I can't take a chance on him hurting one of them as one of them is a chihuahua.He also is good around children but he can be aggressive and would not recommend him around young children and he does not like cats.He will be a great watch dog but he needs someone who can take the time to work with him.20.00 rehoming fee.
I emailed the poster and asked some questions. Here they are:
Can you explain what you mean by child aggressive?
answer: The people I got him from said he was not good with there children and had singled one out that he would try to bite and growel at. I have had him around my children 10 and 17 and my grandchildren 1 and 2 and he did fine but I would not leave them alone together as I do not know him all that well

Has he been vaccinated & neutered?
answer: 1 shot, wormed & no

This is what she said about the food aggressiveness:
He gets along with his sister , my dobie and my chihuahua when I'm present.But if one of them try to take a toy he becomes vicious not just an angry about taking the toy he goes to extreme.The food situation is the same, that is why I feed them seperate.I would not leave him alone with my other dogs as I would be afraid I would come home to someone severely hurt.I think with someone who can give him alot of attention and training he would be fine

Then she said that she has his sister which she got at 3 weeks old, so I emailed her back and asked about that.
answer:I've only had the male for a week.They did not have the money to feed him and are being evicted so I took him.When we got his sister I thought they were 8 weeks old and I am used to small dogs so I didn't think anything about her size.Why they gave her to us at three weeks I don't know but I found out when she was 8 weeks old that I had gotten her at 3 weeks.

So I'm thinking a lot of his issues are from being separated from mom/sibs too early, neglected, & not feed well. The child aggression sounds fear based to me.

I've fostered for 2 years, and the rescue would pay for his vetting so that is a non-issue. Do you think he could be worked with? I'm afraid if I don't get him, he'll end up with a fighter, making puppies, or on the news.

Thanks,
Jennifer

go for it! He's just little :) Those habits are better broken now by someone caring and loving. a little neuter will take him far. I suggest a low cost spay and neuter clinic.

I hope you get him! :peace:

lauren99
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lauren99 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:54 pm

Aww poor boy - he sounds like he needs the right home for sure. Good luck with your decision!

gemglo
Adolescent Bully

Postby gemglo » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:06 pm

Stormi wrote:Poor guy.

Sounds like some serious resource guarding issues. Can be most likely fixed with some very tedious and time-consuming D & C.

That's what it sounded like to me, only alleged aggression. I have kids, ages 12 and 7. So I have to make sure it is right for them. They are pretty good with the dogs, and we had a foster bassett hound who was terrified of my 7 yr. old son and my husband. His response was flight, but it took a while to get him to trust either of them. He is happily leaving in Kansas City with his own family now.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:12 pm

gemglo wrote:
Stormi wrote:Poor guy.

That's what it sounded like to me, only alleged aggression. I have kids, ages 12 and 7. So I have to make sure it is right for them. They are pretty good with the dogs, and we had a foster bassett hound who was terrified of my 7 yr. old son and my husband. His response was flight, but it took a while to get him to trust either of them. He is happily leaving in Kansas City with his own family now.

If you do take him, I'd obviously keep a close eye and never leave him unattended with children just to be safe. I have to wonder why they say that when thre seems to be no proof. Most will caution with children if their background is unknown, but straight out labeling the lil guy aggressive with no reason seems weird. I wonder if its a result of the resource guarding being mislabeled at some point...

sparkplug
Newborn Bully

Postby sparkplug » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:33 pm

he's 4 months old, very young. Not like he is 4 years old. With obedience training and love this can be removed from such a young pup in my humble opinion

furever_pit
Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:39 pm

It sounds like he would a need some work but doesn't seem like anything too serious. DA is no big deal IMO and keeping dogs separate is easy if you just plan it out. I would just supervise him around the kids until you get to know him better since there is no real evidence that he was aggressive to kids in the first place.

awww...he's just a little guy in that picture and so cute. He sounds like so much fun to work with too.

Good luck with your decision, whatever it may be. :thumbsup:

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:57 pm

sparkplug wrote:obedience training and love this can be removed from such a young pup in my humble opinion

Not to pick a fight or anything, but absolutely not true. This is not an obedience issue and it cannot be loved out. Resource guarding can only effectively be conquered by a very calculated plan of desensitization and counterconditioning.

sparkplug
Newborn Bully

Postby sparkplug » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:32 pm

Stormi wrote:
sparkplug wrote:obedience training and love this can be removed from such a young pup in my humble opinion

Not to pick a fight or anything, but absolutely not true. This is not an obedience issue and it cannot be loved out. Resource guarding can only effectively be conquered by a very calculated plan of desensitization and counterconditioning.

no problem, opinions are like pit bull stories, everyone has one or knows someone that has one :tongue:

gemglo
Adolescent Bully

Postby gemglo » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:04 pm

I talked it over with my husband. I'm trying to arrange going to meet the puppy on Wednesday. If everything goes well and I can get the lady to hold him until Saturday, (I have to take my daughter to Oklahoma City for a doctors appt Thurs/Fri - 5 hour drive 1 way) then I should be able to get him.

I'll need to get him vetted & start the two week shut down. I'm concerned about parvo since he hasn't had his shots & it is terrible in this area. I have an extra crate his size. I ordered another copy of Jean Donaldson's Mine (I can only find Culture Clash on my bookcase :sad: ) to reveiw D & C for resource guarding. Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks for the help!

Jennifer

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:09 pm

sounds great! I don't know if I would suggest a full 2 week shut down considering the young age of the pup. the more socialization, the better (post vaccines, of course). excellent, excellent plan with reading thru "mine"!!

gemglo
Adolescent Bully

Postby gemglo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:46 pm

Well, I ended up not being able to get the little guy. :sad: My husband's company is offering him a sales manager position, which means moving back to Oklahoma by the first of the year! Lots to do before then, finish the new flooring, paint, and sell the house for starters.

On a positive note, I talked to the lady about getting the pup his shots, and socializing, and told her about Jean Donaldson's Mine for the resource guarding. She said she might keep him.

Return to “Training and Behavior”