Prong collar = end of problems (pretty much)

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
LCD
Matured Bully

Prong collar = end of problems (pretty much)

Postby LCD » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:02 pm

I bought Bishop a prong collar about 2 weeks ago after I told myself I wouldn't, but I figured I'd give it a try since he goes ape sh*t around new people and especially dogs. Soooo, now when we walk past people and even other dogs, I might get a glance over but he stays well behaved... he also has drastically reduced his jumping on people...

The point... for the people skeptical about prong collars or that haven't even considered it... look into it! Make sure it's sized right and learn how to use it properly and it might be able to help!

spammie

Postby spammie » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:19 pm

I used prong collars on my dogs during training. They are a valuable tool when used correctly.

FreedomDove
Newborn Bully

Postby FreedomDove » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:55 pm

i love prong collars. without one my pits dont even know they r pulling. with one they r perfect. i have only used them on pits. all other breeds i have had choke when they pull so they just wouldnt pull. yes, prongs r great when people know how to use them.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:07 am

I much prefer a prong over a choke, regardless of breed. Like all training tools, it depends on the dog. My male is too soft for a correction collar of that level (prong or choke) He runs fine in a martingale. My female still needs a prong at 4 years old, though not for pulling.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:47 pm

The only time I've ever used a prong collar is when this trainer I took Lila too about two months ago told me to get one. I left the plastic tips on as I just couldn't bring myself to take them off. Honestly, the prong collar was somewhat helpful but since then I've been working with Red and Lila does just as well using Red's positive training methods as she did on a prong collar.

I think there are different training methods available and one method may not work the same for each and every dog but all I can tell you is the results with Red's methods WITHOUT a prong collar or any sort of force whatsoever do work! I've taken Lila to other "positive" trainers with no results but this time it's different. And personally, if my dog can learn through positive reinforcement just as well as she can with a prong collar then I'm all for the positive method! "First, do no harm"!!

But I definitely think choke collars are ridiculous! They don't work at all and they actually hurt more than a properly fitted prong collar. I'm glad I quite with those years ago and will never use one again as long as I live!

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:49 pm

1lila1 wrote:The only time I've ever used a prong collar is when this trainer I took Lila too about two months ago told me to get one. I left the plastic tips on as I just couldn't bring myself to take them off. Honestly, the prong collar was somewhat helpful but since then I've been working with Red and Lila does just as well using Red's positive training methods as she did on a prong collar.

I think there are different training methods available and one method may not work the same for each and every dog but all I can tell you is the results with Red's methods WITHOUT a prong collar or any sort of force whatsoever do work! I've taken Lila to other "positive" trainers with no results but this time it's different. And personally, if my dog can learn through positive reinforcement just as well as she can with a prong collar then I'm all for the positive method! "First, do no harm"!!

But I definitely think choke collars are ridiculous! They don't work at all and they actually hurt more than a properly fitted prong collar. I'm glad I quite with those years ago and will never use one again as long as I live!

x2 on everything :)

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:21 pm

Prongs work great but just don't rely on them. Try to wean them off of them or us some other positive training. Too many people just slap a prong on and think it is magic and use it the rest of their lives when they might not even have needed it if they trained differently.

Try all the methods you can. As someone else stated try positive first. Might take longer but it is well worth it not to rely on something

Lunchbucket

LCD
Matured Bully

Postby LCD » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:30 pm

No matter how you look at it you have to rely on SOMETHING... positive or not

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:40 pm

I stopped using a prong when Roxy started shying away from it when I went to put it on her before our walks. Now I try to use more positive methods. Course she's not exactly fond of the gentle leader either.... but I feel better about it.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:10 am

I have a shrine for prong collars in my closet.....

lol

Huitchi
Adolescent Bully

Postby Huitchi » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:21 am

I'm not sure why some people are hesitant to use the prong collars. Granted it's not for everyone and the proper use is a must. You have to use what works for your situation.

I've spoken to some that say it's painful to the dog. I've placed a prong collar around my bicep and given it a good tug and felt nothing I would consider pain. Besides, have you ever seen your dog scratch it's self. Their nails are super strong and sharp but that doesn't stop them from scratching.

sismorphine
Newborn Bully

Postby sismorphine » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:52 am

How old is your dog? And when you say he goes crazy around new people and dogs is it aggressively or in idiot bullybreed play with me now mode?

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:21 pm

I fully agree with 1lila1. Why use an aversive tool when there's other friendlier and more effective options out there that don't have potential negetive side effects?

Razors_Diesel
Matured Bully

Postby Razors_Diesel » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:44 pm

ive been thinkin about gettin a prong coller for a while for diesel but hes only about 14 weeks old should i wait till hes older??
he already grew out of 2 collers that i bought

Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 04100824 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:26 pm

Razors_Diesel wrote:ive been thinkin about gettin a prong coller for a while for diesel but hes only about 14 weeks old should i wait till hes older??

Yes. Personally, I would try other options before just hopping into a prong. What training have you done with him? Prongs are no magic fix. Dogs still require work, effort and love to be put into their training.

Return to “Training and Behavior”