snapping

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
dcomella
Newborn Bully

snapping

Postby dcomella » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:05 pm

I have two pit bulls one female 1yr old and a male 5mos old. My female has always been a good dog. She has been around my granddaughter since she was 6wks old. Lately she has been snapping at my granddaugther hands for no reason. My granddaughter went to pet her and she snapped at her hand and left a welt. This is the third time she has done this. They are never left alone together we were right there when it happen. My granddaughter is very good with the dog she never teases the dog she loves the dog. The dog has always been good to her, she would lay on the bed with her and watch tv always with her. I do not know why she is acting like this now. Any suggestion would help.

I am thinking of muzzling her for five minutes any time she does this. I am afraid one of the times she is going to hurt my granddaughter. There was no food around nothing to provoke this behavior.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:19 pm

I'm no expert (disclaimer!) but I'd not muzzle as punishment. You'll only succeed in making the dog feel more vulnerable.

It sounds like she's "disciplining" the toddler and this is totally unacceptable.
Does she discipline the puppy as well and if so, do you let the puppy torment her, or is there alone times for her?

Hopefully someone else will weigh in here - until they do, KEEP THE DOG AWAY FROM THE CHILD. Baby gates or crates would work. Don't even let them interact for now.

dcomella
Newborn Bully

Postby dcomella » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:26 pm

She does get alone time. She also disciples the pup when he annoys her.
The child is never left alone with her especially now that i cannot trust her.
We do not let the pup tornment her. This behavior is all new for her. I know that she is jealous of the pup. We always give her attention first to show that we still feel the same about. The pup does not get more attention then she gets. The pup gets crated and she has full range of the house. Nothing has changed for her besides having the pup in the house. She is still treated the same.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:15 pm

Hopefully the member, "Red' will see and reply.('Red' is or soon to be a certified dog behaviorist)

dcomella
Newborn Bully

Postby dcomella » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:19 pm

thank you I hope so. I love this dog but I love my granddaughter more and I do not want anything bad to happen to either one of them. I do have a child gate that I will put up when my granddaugther is over. I can keep my dog on my breeze way until I figure out what is wrong. When my granddaughter is not here she can have the full run of the house.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:21 pm

dcomella wrote:She does get alone time. She also disciples the pup when he annoys her.
The child is never left alone with her especially now that i cannot trust her.
We do not let the pup tornment her. This behavior is all new for her. I know that she is jealous of the pup. We always give her attention first to show that we still feel the same about. The pup does not get more attention then she gets. The pup gets crated and she has full range of the house. Nothing has changed for her besides having the pup in the house. She is still treated the same.

Sometimes, while making sure the existing dog does not feel slighted at having a new addition, we go too far and give the existing dog priveleges she/he ought not have anyway.
Thus, the existing dog thinks they are higher on the totem pole than even humans, including children.
It SOUNDS like this is what's going on, but I am not going to give advice to deal with it as it's too risky over the 'net.
Leave that to more experienced than I :)

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:52 pm

msvette2u wrote:I'm no expert (disclaimer!) but I'd not muzzle as punishment. You'll only succeed in making the dog feel more vulnerable.

Another reason not to muzzle as punishment is that, at some point in your dog's life, she may need to be muzzled and you'll want to be able to introduce it in a calm and positive manner.

dcomella
Newborn Bully

Postby dcomella » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:58 pm

I will not muzzle her. I will put the child gate up to keep them apart until I figure out what is bothering my dog (bella). It breaks my heart that now all of a sudden she snaps at my granddaughter. My granddaugther loves the dog she is the one who picked her out. I hope this behavior changes for the better I would die if the dog hurt my granddaugther. Otherwise the dog is good. She is a little hyper she gets excited when people come over she has never shown any problem with anyone.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:51 pm

How is her attitude in general?
What is her "day" like? Is she crated at any portion of it, or at night? Where does she sleep? Does she have her own bed, or area to sleep or is it random?

dcomella
Newborn Bully

Postby dcomella » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:15 pm

she is a little hyper but in general she has always been good. She is not crated she has the run of the house. We have a fenced in back yard and she goes out every day. She is very rarely alone because my husband is disable and home with her during the day. She sleeps in bed with us. She has slept with us since she was 6wks old. She has been around my granddaugther since we got her. My granddaugther pick her out. My granddaugther sleeps over our house every weekend so she always see my granddaugther. The only change that has happen is that we have the 4mo old male. We got him when he was 8wks. This snapping has just started in the last week. She only snaps at my granddaughter, before that she would always be where ever the child was they would lie on the bed and watch tv together. The child has never tease or been mean to her. She loves the dog she would go up and hug her, kiss her I never worried about them together. Now I do not trust the dog with her. We were sitting right there when she snapped I was shocked.

The dog knew she was wrong and tried to come over to my granddaugther to kiss her have my granddaugther pet her but my granddaugther was a little shaken up so she would not touch her at the time. The dog was told No when she snapped so now until I can figure out what is going on I will put up a child gate when my granddaugther is over.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:37 pm

Is it possible that she's experiencing pain somewhere and your granddaughter, while hugging her or something, accidentally hurt her?

If it's totally out of the blue and unusual for the dog, I'd be inclined to do my own, inch by inch, inspection and/or get a vet to check the dog out, just to make sure there isn't an underlying issue.

dcomella
Newborn Bully

Postby dcomella » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:44 pm

the last time the dog snap at her she was just going to pet her she went to touch her head to pat and the dog snap. If I do not get any where with this I am going to call the vet to see if she has any ideas.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:28 pm

Reaching over a dogs head is rude in the dog world and they do not tolerate it well. They find it threatening and/or a display of dominance.

Your dog snapped at your granddaughter because she was being rude(in dog language).

Even though most dogs will tolerate being petted on the head 90% of them do not like it, even though they will let you.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:31 pm

But this is a dog who previously let the child hug and lay with her to watch tv.
The dog has been with the child since day 1.

Instead of your vet, can you find a dog behaviorist or trainer to come assess her?

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:21 pm

If this behavior is sudden I would run some blood work and get her thyroid checked.Has she been healthy so far? Any recent pain, limping, missed meals, etc..?

Excluding health problems I would think that before the dog snapped there was something prior the event.Dogs do not exactly get up one day and decided they are going to put mouths on a child they have been living with, without any problem for a while.People tend to see red flags only when there is an actual bite, growling and what not but there are usually indication of the dog being uncomfortable way before that, without anyone noticing.When the granddaughter hugged or was physical with the dog did you happen to notice a specific body language? Ears going back, stiffness in the body, head turns, the dog walking away and leave the room? Often kids like to "hug" dogs to be affectionate but plenty of dogs do not like it or barely tolerate it.If they are uncomfortable and their body langauge is ignored than they can respond with a clearer warning.

Did the dog vocalize before she snapped? Did you see her body freezing for a moment? Is close physical contact the only situation in which you have seen that reaction? What did the dog do after she snapped? Was there enough space for the dog to move away and avoid touch?

Return to “Training and Behavior”