update on bella and her snapping

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
dcomella
Newborn Bully

update on bella and her snapping

Postby dcomella » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:00 am

here is an up date on bella and her snapping. Well why we were waiting for Jenny to come to observe Bella she bit my son (he is 20yrs old). He went by Bella who was sitting next to my husband to pet her and she bit him on his finger and she received 9 stitchers.

Jenny came tonite to see the dog and show me things to retrain her. While Jenny was here and she finish working with the dog and was getting ready to leave my dog was sitting next to me and was fine. Then her mood change and my other son who had been petting her for a while had walked away and when came back to her and went to pet her again she snapped at his hand. Jenny was still here to witness it and was suprise at what happen. All she could tell me was that she felt that Bella has anixety and does not know why. She is coming back in two weeks to work we me again but we do not know why she is snapping and biting without warning or reason. I am going to call my Vet to see if she has any ideas. We are now trying to crate train her and she is not allow to get on the beds or up in a chair until we figure out what is going on. Right now she on the breeze way in my house with a child gate to block her and her crate with the door open to introduce her to the crate because she will not go in right now. She is able to see in the kitchen so that she is not alone. She is let out to the kitchen when we are with her. Right now she is not allow to be with my granddaugther because we can not trust her because one minute she is fine and than the next she is snapping or biting.
This is mind boggling. Hopefully we are going to find out what is happen to her.....Up until the last couple of weeks she was good I do not know what changed her.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:24 am

Up until the last couple of weeks she was good I do not know what changed her.

I suggested that you run some blood work on your other thread because sometime aggressive behaviors that are sudden might be related to thyroid issues.It might be worth to find that out.It seems that those reactions are related to someone reaching for her.In the three accidents you mentioned (including the one with your granddaughter) someone was going to pet the dog.Did Jenny see any specific body language prior the snapping or she only saw the end of it? Was the dog sitting or standing by either you or your husband when she snapped at your granddaughter, like in the situations with your sons?

dcomella
Newborn Bully

Postby dcomella » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:22 am

Yes Jenny seen the whole thing. Bella was sitting right beside me when she snapped at my son. When she bit my other son that needed stitchers she was sitting beside my husband. She also bit me the other nite when I reached over her. Nothing serious but I was shocked that she bit me. We are going to talk to the vet on Monday to see if they want to run any blood work. We are going to explain the incidence with the vet and take it from there. Jenny is coming back in two weeks to see her again and work with her in the yard.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:55 am

It sounds like an extreme case of resource guarding at first blush but something is obviously going very wrong, in her mind.
How long of a lapse between when you brought the puppy home and she started doing this?
HOW did she start? Just nipping at the baby? Now moved to adults?

What is everyone's reaction when she does this?

dcomella
Newborn Bully

Postby dcomella » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:10 pm

We got the puppy in begining of Aug. And the snapping started about 2wks ago starting with my granddaugther now has come to the adults. When she has done this she is told no, bad girl and has been removed from the area.

She now has a crate but right now she does not go in. I put her in the room with the crate and put a child gate up. I leave the door of the crate open so that she can explore and hopefully go in.

We do not let her on the bed or on chairs anymore she has to keep all four paws on the ground. We are trying to reinforce the commands of off,come and release.

We are more aware of her moods and watch the change in her body language.

Jenny is keeping in touch we me while we wait for her next visit.

Hopefully the vet will have some answers.

My granddaugther will be kept away from her for atleast 3wks til we figure this out.

MurphyDog
Newborn Bully

Postby MurphyDog » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:00 pm

You should find out from the behaviorist why Bella barks at your adorable little brother, who is usually loved by all animals; great and small. :thumbsup:

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:17 pm

Barring a painful medical condition that's making her grouchy, can you think of ANYthing different that happened just before she began snapping?
How is she now, with the new dog?
How old was the pup when he came home and how old is he now?
Is he neutered? Is she spayed?
She JUST got to be about a year old, right?

dcomella
Newborn Bully

Postby dcomella » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:05 am

to answer my little brother the little brother is goofy thats why she barks at you

To answer msvette2u Nothing I can think of cause her to start snapping. Just one day her mood changed. Bella is 1yr and 2mos The puppy is just 5mos today. The pup was 8 wks when he came and he is 5mos now.

The pup is not spayed yet. He will be when he is six mos. Bella is spayed

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:12 am

I just re-read your intro and it looks like both pups came from a BYB type situation?
Have you contacted the breeder at all and brought up these concerns?
The problem is that when people breed for size and color, often temperament gets dropped by the wayside.
Just a thought - not gospel by any means :dunno:

dcomella
Newborn Bully

Postby dcomella » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:33 pm

Bella was brought from byb who I cannot get in touch with. Jagger on the other hand was brought from a Kennel in Mo. Jagger was breed for temperment not size or color.

Bella I do not know how she was breed.

Bella has always been hyper since I got her. Jagger is very calm and easy to handle.

I can understand you saying that Bella was from a byb because she was.

Jagger on the other hand I do not know why you would consider him from a byb when he was from a large kennel in Mo. Yes he breeds pretty much Chocolate pits but from what I see he is everything that the kennel said he would be.
What do you consider a kennel and a byb breeder.

Return to “Training and Behavior”