help me keep my dog

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
suvtwo
Newborn Bully

help me keep my dog

Postby suvtwo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:20 am

I need help please my wife has had enough of my dog peeing in the house .i have purchased every book surfed the internet talkd to trainers i have tried everything .She still pees in the house she is 11 months my wife thinks were stuck with this problem .If she is crated up to 8 hours she holds it she has been tested for infections .The minute she sneeks away she will pee .the biggest problem is she will not fully eliminate she pees very little when i take her out so 40 minutes later she will sneek way and pee .please give me A hand give me A method or new method to try .

blkngldbabe
Super Bully

Postby blkngldbabe » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:56 am

When you do take her out and she goes, do you praise her? Throw her a party every time she goes outside and efficiently goes. Treats, fun noises...play time with a favorite toy etc.

How much exercise is she getting? It could be behavioral. If she's crated for long periods without a way of expelling enough energy before and after she may be doing the "any attention is good attention". A tired dog is a happy dog as we all know. Some dogs chew, some scratch up things..yours may pee. If she is exercised well, I'm not sure what to think. Maybe introduce pee pads if the whole high praise for peeing doesnt' succeed?

Good luck. It is frustrating but well worth working through. A minor issue. Annoying but well worth fixing.

suvtwo
Newborn Bully

Postby suvtwo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:12 am

I praise her and give her a bisciut when she pees outside .But she wont fully eliminate she is stubborn shell pee little stop mark pee little .She never fully eliminates .if i take her out once an hour sheel pee once hour but very little .She always has to pee because she never fully eliminates .Then she wont give me any indication when she has to go she will sneak off and in a split second pee i never catch her .My 4 month old scratches the door to let me know she has to pee .if i lock here in the room she will hold its only when she roams free she makes mistakes .

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:52 am

Have you seen the vet and ruled out a UTI or any other medical complication?

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:58 am

Try attaching a leash to her, when she's inside havig free roam, then she can't run off and sneaky pee. Keep her leashed until she doesn't have an accident (if she acts like she has to pee, take her out ASAP). When she doesn't have an accident, then take her off leash. Keep doing this until she is eithe asking to go out, or not peeing inside.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:02 am

BlueMountainBullies wrote:Try attaching a leash to her, when she's inside havig free roam, then she can't run off and sneaky pee. Keep her leashed until she doesn't have an accident (if she acts like she has to pee, take her out ASAP). When she doesn't have an accident, then take her off leash. Keep doing this until she is eithe asking to go out, or not peeing inside.

Good advice here.
:thumbsup:

My girl Sidney wasn't fully house-trained until she was a year or so old. She came from a rough beginning. I can sympathize with you (and your wife) because it is tough going-- but no reason to get rid of a dog. When a dog has troubles with housebreaking, it isn't THEIR fault... it is usually your own. I know it and dealt with it. Persistence is key and it helped us that we had other dogs who were house-trained.

suvtwo
Newborn Bully

Postby suvtwo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:15 am

I was told to use the lease method thats what im trying next .my wife is giving me a very hard time its very hard and im patient but this is getting bad .the behaveralist thinks she pees a little to prolong the walks .

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:18 am

What is your set-up like? Can you get her to the door immediately if she acts like she needs to go, or do you have to go down a hall, down stairs, for example?

Pete
Super Bully

Postby Pete » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:22 am

How much exercise does she get?

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 am

I agree too that keeping a leash on and not giving her total free reign in the house should help. Another thing is to clean the pee spots in your house with an enzyme cleaner from the pet store – dogs will often go back to the same pee spot because of the smells so she may be going back to her old pee spots indoors to "maintain" them.

If the behaviorist thinks she's doing this to prolong the walks, did they also suggest she may not be getting enough exercise? That would be the conclusion I would draw.

I hope your wife can understand that if there are no health issues, this is purely a training issue that can be solved – a dog that pees in the house all the time is not somehow defective – she needs consistent direction on when and where to go pee that both of you can provide.

suvtwo
Newborn Bully

Postby suvtwo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:32 am

That is the problem my condo is tri level so the third flour is the bed room were she sleeps on the dog bed she hold it all night . we go down to sets off steps first thing in the morning we go out I tell her lets go pee pee and she waits bye the top of the second steps that lead to the front door. If i hesitate to long she will pee on the steps .after the first walk we feed her and we go back out again .The problem is she only thinks the third floor is living space so if she sneeks down stairs the the second floor is like im not peeing in my living space.its the same spot she makes the mistake

spammie

Postby spammie » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:34 am

This is a solvable problem and you've gotten some good advice. Also do a search for this.
It's time comsuming and labor intensive, but do-able

suvtwo
Newborn Bully

Postby suvtwo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:38 am

she gets three just walks and three bathroom brakes before bed and after feedings so 6 all together .Then she plays with the flirt pole for 20 minutes in the morning and we recently started wait pulling but snow has been bad last few days

suvtwo
Newborn Bully

Postby suvtwo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:42 am

She is making about 2-3 mistakes a week but still mistakes .how could i get her to understand that the third floor is her living space also .

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:55 am

suvtwo wrote:I was told to use the lease method thats what im trying next .my wife is giving me a very hard time its very hard and im patient but this is getting bad .the behaveralist thinks she pees a little to prolong the walks .

I'd agree, use the leash method - keep the dog leashed to you at all times.
And as far as the peeing goes, did it get worse after you got the puppy?
The reason I ask is that she seems to have marking behavior similar to a male and she could be peeing to "mark" as well, like boys do, only I've seen females do it too.

This page/info may help.
http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/D ... arking.php

Return to “Training and Behavior”