Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:45 pm

Red, you rock!!

bterz
Newborn Bully

Postby bterz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:46 pm

Megan wrote:One thing I haven't seen... How often is he going out? Is your mom letting him out to pee during the hours you are gone? What about waking up earlier, to let him out?

I would take Red up on her offer! I'm so glad you are willing to get help with him, and understand that its not HIS fault.

He is free to go to the bathroom whenever he wants as we leave the back-door open.

I have been taking him personally twice to three times a day to let him go potty and get some exercise.

red. Thank you so much for the wonderful offer. As i have work sunday night I don't think im going to beable to make it out this weekend. I am often near Edwards AFB in Mojave at a motorcycle track nearby. Caliornia City to be exact. I should be there soon and I would love to meet up with you. Thank you so much everybody. I can see Brutus getting better. Taking baby steps forward but atleast we're making progress. I have been ignoring both my dogs when I get home. Brutus has been wagging his tail when I get home lately and I love every minute of it. Although he is wagging his tail and greeting me I try not to give him to much attention. When i get home I try to be as calm as possible.

Red, do you have any good videos of you or your dogs? I'd love to see them. Thanks everyone! :cool:

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:59 am

bterz wrote:
Megan wrote:One thing I haven't seen... How often is he going out? Is your mom letting him out to pee during the hours you are gone? What about waking up earlier, to let him out?

I would take Red up on her offer! I'm so glad you are willing to get help with him, and understand that its not HIS fault.

He is free to go to the bathroom whenever he wants as we leave the back-door open.

I have been taking him personally twice to three times a day to let him go potty and get some exercise.

red. Thank you so much for the wonderful offer. As i have work sunday night I don't think im going to beable to make it out this weekend. I am often near Edwards AFB in Mojave at a motorcycle track nearby. Caliornia City to be exact. I should be there soon and I would love to meet up with you. Thank you so much everybody. I can see Brutus getting better. Taking baby steps forward but atleast we're making progress. I have been ignoring both my dogs when I get home. Brutus has been wagging his tail when I get home lately and I love every minute of it. Although he is wagging his tail and greeting me I try not to give him to much attention. When i get home I try to be as calm as possible.

Red, do you have any good videos of you or your dogs? I'd love to see them. Thanks everyone! :cool:

I must say, like others have...I really am VERY proud of you! Some people my age an older cant even admit when they are wrong/make mistakes and try to fix it. You are 18, can admit when you are wrong, take constructive critisim and put it in play....that takes a big person to do that! And know, that, that characteristic will lead over in to so many more aspects in your life!

I dont know you, but again, I have such a sense of proudness towards you...good job sweetie and keep it up!

Finnigan
Bully Ambassador

Postby Finnigan » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:10 am

Oh good god.

Sigh

I'm not sure whether to post, because I'm a wee bit angry.

Don't ever, ever, get angry at your dog for this.

It may be months, even years to undue the damage you've done.

Your dog is emotionally over dependent on you. You may like to start establishing a bit of healthy distance and cut the ambilical cord.

Be a leader. Calm, collected, and consistent. Your anger has no place in this relationship. Your dog is being punished for your mistakes. I sound harsh, and I'm a bit sorry, but please get help and guidance from a knowlegable person.

Your dog is submissively peeing, a behavior which is being reinforced by your emotional relationship with him. Mutual respect and trust (not anger and emotion) is the basis of any healthy relationship.

bterz
Newborn Bully

Postby bterz » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:34 pm

Finnigan wrote:Oh good god.

Sigh

I'm not sure whether to post, because I'm a wee bit angry.

Don't ever, ever, get angry at your dog for this.

It may be months, even years to undue the damage you've done.

Your dog is emotionally over dependent on you. You may like to start establishing a bit of healthy distance and cut the ambilical cord.

Be a leader. Calm, collected, and consistent. Your anger has no place in this relationship. Your dog is being punished for your mistakes. I sound harsh, and I'm a bit sorry, but please get help and guidance from a knowlegable person.

Your dog is submissively peeing, a behavior which is being reinforced by your emotional relationship with him. Mutual respect and trust (not anger and emotion) is the basis of any healthy relationship.

The truth is, im mad at myself. I didn't know how to react so I reacted the way I thought I should.

SonnysMomma, thank you very much for the kind words, as I figured most people on here had the same view on me as Finnigan. :p Jk Finnigan, I can understand your frustration.

Thanks everyone

bterz
Newborn Bully

Postby bterz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:22 pm

Just an update...
Brutus has been doing great! hes playing with Angus and acting his old normal self. Loves to cuddle again and the submissive urinating has stopped COMPLETELY.

The bad news is he moved from his dog-bed back onto my bed...now I can hardly get him off when its time to sleep! :thumbsup:
[img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/9776/bulldozerqt6.jpg
[/img]

bterz
Newborn Bully

Postby bterz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:23 pm

Just an update...
Brutus has been doing great! hes playing with Angus and acting his old normal self. Loves to cuddle again and the submissive urinating has stopped COMPLETELY.

The bad news is he moved from his dog-bed back onto my bed...now I can hardly get him off when its time to sleep! :thumbsup:

bterz
Newborn Bully

Postby bterz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:23 pm

Stupid small photo...

Sorry for wasting bandwith i dont know how to edit!!

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:31 pm

He is so pretty!

Just keep up the same thing you are doing, dont stop!!

Does he go to the vet for his regular checkup and such?

bterz
Newborn Bully

Postby bterz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:20 pm

Brutus does have a vet but he doesn't go in very often (ive only had him about 6 months).

Why do you ask about the vet? Just wondering :peace:

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:22 pm

bterz wrote:Brutus does have a vet but he doesn't go in very often (ive only had him about 6 months).

Why do you ask about the vet? Just wondering :peace:

No reason in particular, just thought that a check up might be good. To make sure there is nothing wrong that could be causing any of his behavior. And not that something medical could cause his issues, it was just a thought!

Have you had a chance to meet up with Red yet?

bterz
Newborn Bully

Postby bterz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:19 pm

It would probably be a good idea to take him into the vet.. Too bad they charge an arm and a leg.

I have not got the chance to meet up with Red, although I hope my offer is still there!

Thanks for your concern on the bulldozer :) (Brutus's nickname)

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:36 pm

bterz wrote:It would probably be a good idea to take him into the vet.. Too bad they charge an arm and a leg.

I have not got the chance to meet up with Red, although I hope my offer is still there!

Thanks for your concern on the bulldozer :) (Brutus's nickname)

Yea they can!

xaverysxmamax

Postby xaverysxmamax » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:53 pm

luvnstuff wrote:Agree with all here.

Try leashing him to go out, then walk him calmly but matter of factly out side.
Do NOT touch or pet if he cowers, dont try to "reassure" him for to touch or pet in a cowering stage actually tells the dog "praise to be afraid."

Scared dogs need STRENGTH not mean or over done, but just calm and precise HERE WE GO Attitude. They will start to look up to you for guidance. by rubbing his nose in it, like Stormi said, confuses him , so as a leader you look out of control, confusing and the dog isnt sure WHAT is expected of him. So this increases his stress level.

Leashing is a great way to guide the dog, use treats if you must at first but work into just you and your praise WHEN he goes as the real treat.

Make yourself worthy of looking up to, make your rules calm , fair and show the dog what you expect.
Repeating the same pattern over and over with positive results usually will start to do the trick.

good luck!

:thumbsup:

Heres some more reading for you to absorb:

Fearful dog
http://whosthedog.net/Blog/Entries/2008 ... l_Dog.html

Submissive Urination
http://whosthedog.net/Blog/Entries/2008 ... ation.html

Great post. I agree with everything in it.

Dezaree

Carla
Forum Junky

Postby Carla » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:51 am

I agree about the vet.

Carla

Return to “Training and Behavior”