WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY DOG..?!?!?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:15 am

So did he urinate when you came home and completely ignored him?

What was his reaction and at what point did you start showing him affection after you got home?

Im curious, you said your mom stays home with the dogs, how does she dicipline them? Do you think she could have done something to make him act the way he is...please no offense intended...just trying to help!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:32 am

every time you rubbed his nose in it, every time you showed him you were angry, all those times have made an impact with him. its going to take a LONG TIME to get him to not be afraid of you... you must be patient, and understand every time you showed him you were angry it affected him.. even to when he peed on your foot outside... its going to take lots of time and patience from you and your mom to retrain him to not be afraid of you .. i had a submissive pee dog as well, it took me a YEAR to get her to not pee when she greeted people.. never did i scold her or rub her nose in it, i just ignored the pee, didnt show her i was upset, and then cleaned it up... your dog knows that when you come home if he pees you will be angry due to your previous reactions to him.. start over, go slow, and have a ton of patience...

bterz
Newborn Bully

Postby bterz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:23 am

SonnysMomma wrote:So did he urinate when you came home and completely ignored him?

What was his reaction and at what point did you start showing him affection after you got home?

Im curious, you said your mom stays home with the dogs, how does she dicipline them? Do you think she could have done something to make him act the way he is...please no offense intended...just trying to help!

Hey. He urinated when I came home and just ignored him. I've been ignoring my dogs when I get home for the past few weeks trying to get them to calm down and not jump on me as they are HAPPY dogs. When I get home,they grunt, they squeel, they make noises because they're so happy to see me..

As soon as I got home I ignored him. I noticed something was wrong because he wasnt being his normal self. I began to pat his head and he just lowered his head and pee'd on the floor.

As bad as my mom is with obedience, she would never hurt my dog physically, but maybe mentally by yelling. She tends to confuse them by speaking english to them as if they understand, which they obviously dont. When they dont listen she tends to get flustered but just ends up ignoring them as they seem to be more powerful then each other. i've considered a Kennel while I am gone to safe my mom the trouble, but I didn't think that was fair to them, and my mom doesnt mind them at all, even if she acts to get annoyed by them.

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:48 pm

There is NO reason he should have "submissively" urinated when I got home.

Some dogs are just submissive by nature, plus he might have had a bad background. Keep ignoring it and build on your guy's relationship and his confidence. :thumbsup:

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:05 pm

It's only been TWO days since your first post about the problem... issues aren't going to go away in one day, it's going to take patience and consistency with you and your mom.

You might have to spend weeks or months working on things with him. I have a submissive/fearful dog, he's terrified of the window blinds going up and down in the bedroom... we choose that as the first thing we were going to work on (there's lots of other things that scare him)... we've been working every day for TWO WEEKS, and he can just now be in the same room with them without getting scared.

You said you adopted him recently, how long have you had him?

bterz
Newborn Bully

Postby bterz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:54 am

I understand its not going to take one day to fix a problem, I'm just unsure how the problem started in the first place.

I got Brutus about 4-5 months ago. He was never scared when I got him, matter of fact he was VERY stubborn.

I have a question, can the effects of being neutered kick in months after the fact? He almost seems sick :(

I took him to the beach today. He had lots of fun and responded well. Although at home he is still timid.

I'm sure he will get better it just sucks to see him in such distress.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:20 am

I went to look at your introduction post to see if you are close to me and this was part of the post:

When I come home and he has done something bad and he knows it, I give him a stare or raise my tone he gets really low to the ground and urinates all over the ground.

It was the 9 august of last year.In this time frame you seem to have intimidated and punished your dog with both body language and vocally.Just two days ago his nose was rubbed in his pee and he was yelled at again.It isn't surprising that the dog now pees on himself and cowards in your presence.He does not know he has done anything wrong, all he knows is that when you come home and for whatever reason he might get punished.He is anticipating something from you and he copes with stress and anxiety by peeing on himself and with probably a very specific body language prior that.Despite what you do when you come home learning experiences have taught this dog that something could happen to him.This might have transferred into other behaviors, which happens when dogs are punished without contingencies in place. Never ever shall an animal be punished after the fact.Next time you worry about some pee on the floor think about how it feels to live in confusion and fearing the owner upon return at home.

I got Brutus about 4-5 months ago. He was never scared when I got him, matter of fact he was VERY stubborn.

Dogs aren't stubborn the way human think. Often it is lack of guidelines and teaching processes from owners that lead to unwanted behaviors. Dogs are not born knowing the rules of the house, they have to be shown what is required of them in a fair and clear manner.

Where are you located?

bterz
Newborn Bully

Postby bterz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:41 am

I live in Ventura, Ca

I understand this after the fact. I am a new dog owner and only 18 years of age. I obviously handled things incorrectly but i'm glad it didnt go on any further.

I literally cried all the way home today thinking about how bad it must feel to be Brutus.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:43 am

I understand this after the fact. I am a new dog owner and only 18 years of age. I obviously handled things incorrectly but i'm glad it didnt go on any further.

Great, then you go move forward. I am not too far from you and if you want some help with the dog we can figure something out.

bterz
Newborn Bully

Postby bterz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:54 am

I would love to get help with my dog. Where are you located? Im used to 2+ hour drives so whatever works.

Where abouts are you located?
Meanwhile, what should I be doing with my dog besides taking him out a lot?

Any Do/Dont I should be aware of while he is in this tense stage?
I've just been ignoring him. He wags the tip of his tail which in my opinion means hes nervous, but atleast its not tucked away and hes not peeing.

Thanks for all the help. :bowdown:

bterz
Newborn Bully

Postby bterz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:04 am

This is brutus and angus.. sleeping on me.

Fenriswolf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Fenriswolf » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:06 am

lol Blurriest picture ever, but still adorable. Good luck with those guys, it'll probably take a lot of work but at least you're willing to face your mistakes and address them. :thumbsup:

pitbullmommy
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pitbullmommy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:32 am

Ditto to what everyone said! My dog it's pretty submissive in that way too. We got one episode one time, in which we made the mistake of trying to force him to get my mother in law to pick him up (as we do in the house), and he growled at her, cowered to the ground, and peed on himself. Since we scolded him, he started peeing on himself every SINGLE time he saw her come in and she tried to pet him.

So, we just told her to ignore him for a while. She was so frustrated Inuyasha was acting so afraid of her, and peeing on himself and cowering everytime she came close. So, I kept on telling her, just ignore him. He will forget about the incident soon enough. Now, I just gave her a ball to play with him (take his mind off the fear), a treat, and told her to ignore if he started cowering. She came over, we went over, ignore most of the time. It took about 3 weeks, if not a little more, but he is back to normal with her. Just one day he acted the same as he used to. For some reason, certain people have this influnce/power over him. My little niece, 10 years of age, gets Inuyasha to pee on the floor if she uses an authoritarian tone, when she is doing tricks with him.

Dogs are very sensitive! My dog reacts a lot at my hubbys voice. If he happened to do something he wasn't supposed to, at the mere sight of hubby he will cower and if approached, pee on the ground. Even though, we never rubbed his nose on pee, and I don't yell at him at all if he happens to have an accident (very rarely). So, hubby just needs to adjust his tone of voice, and the way he reacts to certain things.

Good Luck, and I really hope your dog is back to being the confident dog he used to be!

Brenda

Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Megan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:47 pm

One thing I haven't seen... How often is he going out? Is your mom letting him out to pee during the hours you are gone? What about waking up earlier, to let him out?

I would take Red up on her offer! I'm so glad you are willing to get help with him, and understand that its not HIS fault.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:42 pm

I am up at Edwards AFB so around 2 hours drive.If you want we can meet this coming Sunday or Monday.It'd be best to see the dog's behavior in the environment where the problems are but I have a dog on medications that needs to be monitored so I can't go anywhere for two weeks.

Return to “Training and Behavior”