Humping = Play time

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Lua
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Humping = Play time

Postby Lua » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:45 pm

Just so you know, my Chihuahua, Stella, is a dominant dog. My APBT, Lua, is submissive. Lua is around 10/11 months old and Stella is maybe 4 years old, they are both females.

Every night around 8:00 PM it's "play time". In Stella's mind it's time to hump Lua's legs.. Well, In Lua's mind it's play time. Lua loves playing with other dogs but the only time she really can is when Digby comes over for a play date, so she takes what she can get. They will go to the hall and Lua will be play biting and rolling on her back, etc. while Stella latches on her legs and goes at it LOL.
I let it go on because Lua really seems to think Stella is playing with her, and Stella never plays with Lua. I understand things like humping can and do often start scuffles, and I wouldn't want that to happen if Lua suddenly decides it's not fun anymore.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Re: Humping = Play time

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:03 am

Lua wrote:I let it go on because Lua really seems to think Stella is playing with her, and Stella never plays with Lua. I understand things like humping can and do often start scuffles, and I wouldn't want that to happen if Lua suddenly decides it's not fun anymore.

You said that Stella never plays with Lua - so when she's mounting her, she's not playing.

By allowing Stella to continue to mount the pup, you are reinforcing that it is ok for her to act that way.

When Lua fully matures, she may not like being humped any more and she may bite Stella - the size difference in the 2 dogs could result in the instant death of Stella.

It's a very bad idea to allow this to go on.

It may look funny and Lua may be having a good time, but like you said, it could turn bad at any second.

Correct the dog that is acting bad - Stella. Just because she is small, it doesn't mean it's ok for her to be rude and bossy. She needs to be treated like any other dog. No special treatment for little dogs.

Lua
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Re: Humping = Play time

Postby Lua » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:35 am

BrokenAquarian wrote:You said that Stella never plays with Lua - so when she's mounting her, she's not playing.

I know she's not playing, which is why I wrote that "Lua thinks" she's playing.

Just because she is small, it doesn't mean it's ok for her to be rude and bossy. She needs to be treated like any other dog. No special treatment for little dogs.

Just to be clear, I do not give Stella (or little dogs in general) special treatment. I didn't say I let it go because she's small.

I guess I kind of answered my own question when I wrote "I understand things like humping can and do often start scuffles, and I wouldn't want that to happen if Lua suddenly decides it's not fun anymore."
I won't let it happen anymore.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Return to “Training and Behavior”