Shaking?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
41five
Newborn Bully

Shaking?

Postby 41five » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:08 pm

Is there a certain age when my puppy will start to shake tug toys and rip them to shreds or is my dog just lazy...
:twisted:

Shes 1 year and she just kind of hangs on and pulls, I shake and I pull and I shake and it gets pretty violent lol but she just kinda hangs on even if I swing her all around or let her hang from it... She won't shake when she's holding onto the springpole either, is it the dog or her age or am I just evil...I want her to shake so she can tire herself out as opposed to me swinging 60 lbs around for an hour. any advice helps.

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:39 pm

its a natural/instinctual behavior. maybe your dog just isnt a killer.

maybe the flirt pole will have better luck tiring her out.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:46 pm

why should she shake and exert herself when you can do it for her LOL? some dogs just arent into shaking toys or rope toys like others do. there is nothing wrong with her, she just happens to not be the shaking type.. and probably prefers you doing it for her

Enamorada
Super Bully

Postby Enamorada » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Well, no worries.. my boy doesn't like shaking at toys either. :tongue:

He likes to chew and pull. That's it... oh and chase things. lol

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:02 pm

:) Yeah,
If she was a shaker, she'd be doing it by now. She sounds like she's just more laid back than some dogs.

From what I've seen, the dogs with the higher prey drives are the ones who shake - since it's a kill move. If your dog isn't into killing other animals, it's not going to have the drive to practice on a toy. lol

The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF

Postby The Teflon Don » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:12 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote::) Yeah,
If she was a shaker, she'd be doing it by now. She sounds like she's just more laid back than some dogs.

From what I've seen, the dogs with the higher prey drives are the ones who shake - since it's a kill move. If your dog isn't into killing other animals, it's not going to have the drive to practice on a toy. lol

Exxxxxactly...

Our two are like night and day when it comes to this.

Prey-driven-Magnus will gladly shake anything he is allowed to (alive or not)...

Gotti, on the other hand, just doesn't get it...he would rather tear a rope into tiny little pieces using his front teeth than actually SHAKE anything...

bterz
Newborn Bully

Postby bterz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:51 pm

Is it ok to let your pitbull chase rabbits?

My dogs absolutely love it and its almost near impossible to get them to NOT chase rabbits. Great exercise.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:04 pm

Wild rabbits?
I don't know, it depends. Does anyone know if they have weak hearts like domesticated rabbits?

If so, it's probably not a good idea because your dog would be killing them(of a heart attack) even if he's not catching them.

It's best to leave the wild animals alone, so they can be food for other wild animals and such.

I think there's also diseases that they carry.

From unitedwildlife.com
Rabbits are primary carriers of tick fever, tularemia, powassan virus and rabies.

Tularemia is an infectious disease in rabbits that is caused by bacteria. Humans contract tularemia when broken skin comes into contact with an infected rabbit carcass. Also, if a rabbit has been depositing fecal matter into your soil, you may contract tularemia while gardening or spending time in your yard. People with tularemia will develop an ulcer at the site of infection, and lymph glands can become enflamed and swollen. Then, a fever can develop which can last over one month.

Tick fever is a virus that results in, obviously, a fever, chills, headache, eye pain, muscle pain, nausea and vomiting. Tick fever can be a severe illness, especially in children and the elderly.

Powassan virus can cause severe encephalitis in humans and has up to a 60 percent fatality rabbite. Infected humans may experience sleepiness, disorientation and become semicomatose.

Rabies, a virus, progressively paralyzes and can kill any mammal, including humans. Rabies is generally contracted through contact with an infected rabbit through biting. Though humans should avoid contact with any rabbits, if a rabbit seems especially fearless around humans, it could be infected. Call United Wildlife rabbit control immediately for professional rabbit removal.

yassy
Newborn Bully

Postby yassy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:57 pm

I think shaking is natural instinct,and my dog (Pembroke Welsh Corgi) Palette does this now and then to play.She does not shred the toy. I think she likes how it flaps around face or something.

Exercise you can do without you getting tired is doing Frisbee,play ball,hide and seek,training,and maybe walking.

I play tug of war with my dog now and then do like musical chair. I let her sit,then cue it "Take it" and play some and at some point,I give her command such as "Bang" (play dead) or "Down" etc and to do so,she needs to get the tug out from the rope and after she does this tricks on cue,I start play again. I don't swing my dog around because I worry about teeth being the only thing she is hanging on to.But musical chair style tug of war make my dog quite tired.

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:58 am

My 7 1/2 week old plays tug with her little pig stuffie. Yesterday she was so hyped up she started growling...and I started growling...it took a while but I won that one. She's only won a couple times lol. I'd imagine if your dog is a year and not doing it then she's a pretty low key girl...congrats! wanna trade for a couple days or so? lol

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:36 pm

2 of mine are like Teflons dogs..

Return to “Training and Behavior”