Addicted to PBF

Re: Liberty on the Homefront

Postby starrlamia » Wed May 26, 2010 6:24 pm

:)

I would like more liberty stories plox.

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Thu May 27, 2010 5:19 am

Hmm. Why not a book? In your copious free time? :))

HersheyBear
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HersheyBear » Fri May 28, 2010 11:07 pm

reading Liberty's story and seeing how far she's come, makes my heart happy.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat May 29, 2010 5:36 am

Anyone who wants me to write a book is welcome to pay my bills during the time it takes to write it! lol

It's not a story, it's a motion picture: Liberty and her babies

Since the kittens arrived, Liberty has been much more tolerant of squeaky toys (which, as we've discussed, used to make her totally neurotic... er... more than usual)

She did cry more yesterday when I left for work, but still not as bad as it has been, and was very good when I came home. I have a theory about why that is, and it's a very workable fix.

In short, I give her either kibble in a work-to-eat toy, or raw frozen in a kong. Yesterday, she got raw, and I think when it's frozen it doesn't smell as strong and takes longer to be a distraction (until it thaws slightly). The days she's cried less, she's been given kibble, which smells the same right away. Since I think raw is better for her and takes longer to work through, I'm planning on mixing it up and giving her about half and half raw and kibble, hoping the kibble will distract her right away, but the raw will keep her busy longer. We'll see if that will help when I leave in a little bit!

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Sat May 29, 2010 6:23 am

Or maybe smear a fingerful of peanut butter or a teaspoon of thawed raw on the Kong?

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat May 29, 2010 6:28 am

Hmmm... Thawing the raw would be to labor intensive (thawing a small amount only, that is - I'd possibly have to have a seperate blob for each day or something) but peanut butter might be an option, though she's currently getting two fingers of that a day when she gets her Clomicalm... but not bad ideas, and definitely something to keep in mind to vary the feed when she gets bored with one thing or another.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:59 pm

So it's been some time since you had an update!

Liberty is crying less in her crate, most days. She still needs to be carried into it, and is now actively hiding when it looks like time for me to put her in it (even if it's not time, whatever little signal she's decided means I'm leaving, she hides). This morning she actually struggled slightly in my arms for the very first time, though I didn't mind that because it meant she was doing something instead of just giving up, which was her MO during the learned helplessness stages in her life.

Her recall is improving, and in fact the other day I tripped and dropped her leash while she was running away from me after a... oh, I don't know, leaf or something. It might have been an animal, I'm not sure. I called her name and she turned immediately and came back to me (to massive praise). We work on her basic obedience, she was used as a test dog in the reactive dog class I've been helping with and was adorable and slutty for that, and my brother, who saw her for the first time in a year, saw her this weekend and was blown away. He also commented that it choked him up to see how she looks at me, because the love is so obvious. :oops:

But she still does NOT come down to the bathroom or bedroom (which are right next to each other) when I call, because she's convinced I'll force her into the crate and leave her. Anywhere else in the house is fine, but those are scary rooms, and she just can't bring herself to do it - she usually comes about halfway down the hall, starts shaking, and turns around and goes to hide.

Tonight (well, all day for about three days) I've had a migraine. Sometimes medicine gets rid of those, sometimes it doesn't. Tonight was an "it doesn't" day. So I was trying hard not to vomit, failed in that, and called her (I'm not even sure why), crying. And she came. Because apparently me upset is more important than her fear.

She was so brave, and that alone made me cry harder, and made me feel better.

I do love that little gremlin.

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Oh, Miss Liberty! Such an enormous heart!

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:42 pm

It's been over three months! We need updates :)

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Liberty must have known her fans would be demanding more - she's had an eventful week!

First of all, she's getting MUCH better with her separation anxiety. For a while I would have to carry her into her crate, and she would try to hide from me (unsuccessfully - her tail starts wagging whenever I talk to her) when it was time to go in. Then we found out her weirdness is trained well enough on a leash that if I leashed her, she would walk right into the crate. Now she will go into the crate (for food) willingly without a leash. Once the food is gone, she cries, but only for about ten minutes at a time, which is a very nice improvement. She's actually doing so well that I've stopped the clomicalm, and she is now a drug-free lady.

She's long had her own original composition which she performs at stoplights, a song I call "maaaa---uummmmmm - there is someone over there not telling me how cute I ammmmmmm!!!!" She performed it with such enthusiasm a few days ago in the line at the drive-through that the spirit of (I can only assume) Lady Gaga overtook her and she tried to eat the small remains of the headrests in my car.

But the biggest surprise was the solving of the mystery of The Monster Under the Shed. I was attempting to nap, and Liberty was keeping me company in the bed, when she looked out the bedroom window, which looks out over the backyard, and began singing a version of "maaaa---uummmmmm - there is someone over there not telling me how cute I ammmmmmm!!!!" that I can only describe as the Club Remix. Much more energy, much more annoying. I looked out and saw the muse for her song - a groundhog who not only was not telling her how cute she is, but seemed to sort of thumb his nose at her, mutter something less than polite in hogese, and then scampered off like she wasn't worthy of total and complete adoration, which of course Liberty knows is complete fallacy. (there's a chance making it into PBRC's People's Choice calendar has gone to her head)

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:38 pm

roflmao
She is too, too much!

I can't wait until I'm living in your general geographic area!

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nsbullylover » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:59 am

I just stumbled across this thread today, and read the entire thing. After reading it, I've decided two things:

1. I recently read "The Lost Dogs", and Liberty reminds me so much of Sweet Jasmine. She looks a lot like her, but her behaviour in the beginning sounds similar too. I fell head over heels for Sweet Jasmine (and was devastated to hear that she passed, and how), and I've now fallen head over heels for Liberty. She sounds like an amazing dog.

2. You, Amie, are a saint. The dedication and love you have shown Liberty is inspiring. :clap

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:17 pm

1. Catalina (Jasmine's owner) and I agree with you! She was one of the people who helped look for a home for Lib in the beginning, and she just kept saying "she reminds me so much of my dog!" I think Liberty is more human friendly than Jasmine was - not that Jasmine was ever unfriendly towards humans, but Liberty very clearly made the choice that she would rather be with a human and be beaten than be without the humans, and I'm not sure Jasmine was there.

3. Hardly a saint, not even close. I'm not nearly as strong as I'd like to be. But I have been very blessed to have some amazing animals in my life that happen to bring out the best in me. Without them, you all would see the neurotic, insecure, short-tempered slob that I really am. So on their behalf, thank you! :D

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:04 pm

nsbullylover wrote:I just stumbled across this thread today, and read the entire thing. After reading it, I've decided two things:

1. I recently read "The Lost Dogs", and Liberty reminds me so much of Sweet Jasmine. She looks a lot like her, but her behaviour in the beginning sounds similar too. I fell head over heels for Sweet Jasmine (and was devastated to hear that she passed, and how), and I've now fallen head over heels for Liberty. She sounds like an amazing dog.

2. You, Amie, are a saint. The dedication and love you have shown Liberty is inspiring. :clap

:goodpost:

Dont be modest Amie, You rock!!!

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:19 pm

starrlamia wrote:
nsbullylover wrote:I just stumbled across this thread today, and read the entire thing. After reading it, I've decided two things:

:goodpost:

Dont be modest Amie, You rock!!!

Yup. It's been said, Amie, just accept it. ;)

Return to “Training and Behavior”