Eating all his stuff

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
FujiFig
Adolescent Bully

Eating all his stuff

Postby FujiFig » Mon May 04, 2009 11:17 pm

The title says it all - Socs eats all his toys. I didn't really think that was a problem until today when it made him sick, so how do I stop it? He's not a general chewer, he won't chew or destroy anybody elses stuff but his. It's not just plush toys - it's rope toys, beds, hard plastic toys, Nylabones, squeaky toys, canvas toys, rubber toys and anything else he gets. He gets lots of walks and playes with the other dog a lot. He has LOTS of bones to chew on (we feed raw and he gets those soup-type non-cooked chewy bones). Is there anyway I can get him to stop eating his toys? He's not just chewing - he is EATING them. Any ideas?

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Tue May 05, 2009 12:57 am

Simple. Supervise with toys. Don't give him the opportunity to eat them.

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Tue May 05, 2009 1:01 am

Grr, I didn't finish, sorry! When he starts gnawing on them to get pieces to swallow, turn it into a game of tug or fetch instead. Maybe hide the toy and have him find it (start easy). Don't let him have toys when you cant be watching him with an eagle eye though. Getting compacted is an easy and terrible way to die for a dog :(.

FujiFig
Adolescent Bully

Postby FujiFig » Tue May 05, 2009 1:33 am

I'll give it a shot - the problem is that I go to school full time so he is alone more than I'd like him to be so what can i give him to do while I'm gone? I also have one other question related to the response - how do you teach fetch and tug-a-war? I'm serious, I've tried to teach him and he just gives the that "yeah right" face and walks off...

But yeah I will try to distract him by joinging in and whatnot - I think if i can keep him focused he will like the hiding thing.

-Thanks!

geckogirly
Matured Bully

Postby geckogirly » Tue May 05, 2009 12:28 pm

I don't know if you've tried them yet, but the larger kong's are the only thing Newt hasn't been able to totally destroy.

His small one is still intact, but I only let him play with that when I watch him. I feel safe leaving him with the XL and XXL ones though. I think the black ones are supposed to be the toughest? Just look at the label. And, not all 'kong brand' toys, I'm talking just the actual kong toys...does that make sense?

Even those I'd supervise before leaving him alone with them--just in case!

We put peanut butter in them when he's going to be by himself, or even just with us as a treat. He loves it!

He was making himself sick too. Would swallow things and then throw up the next day. Best way to avoid it is to not let him have anything he can destroy when you're not supervising.

Hope that helps!

-Andrea ;)

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Tue May 05, 2009 12:37 pm

geckogirly wrote:I don't know if you've tried them yet, but the larger kong's are the only thing Newt hasn't been able to totally destroy.

His small one is still intact, but I only let him play with that when I watch him. I feel safe leaving him with the XL and XXL ones though. I think the black ones are supposed to be the toughest? Just look at the label. And, not all 'kong brand' toys, I'm talking just the actual kong toys...does that make sense?

Even those I'd supervise before leaving him alone with them--just in case!

We put peanut butter in them when he's going to be by himself, or even just with us as a treat. He loves it!

He was making himself sick too. Would swallow things and then throw up the next day. Best way to avoid it is to not let him have anything he can destroy when you're not supervising.

Hope that helps!

-Andrea ;)

This is a good idea. Sounds like you may want to browse the Equipment, Supplies, & Accessories area and keep an eye out for tough toys. Supervise him with them first to make sure he cant eat them. If you really cant find anything safe, you will likely just have to leave him in there without toys. Then you can get home and exercise him real well. :) It's better than him getting compacted! Good luck!

FujiFig
Adolescent Bully

Postby FujiFig » Tue May 05, 2009 3:02 pm

Alright - I'll give all these a try. Off to the pet store I go.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Tue May 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Try carrots. Most dogs like them, and they offer fun chewing, plus they're perfectly safe to swallow. Celery with a little peanut butter is good. Hunks of raw pumpkin. You get the idea: stuff that's safe to swallow, but still takes some time to chew.

FujiFig
Adolescent Bully

Postby FujiFig » Tue May 05, 2009 9:37 pm

He gets most of those - a big carrot only lasts like 3 mins though, I guess he's going to be getting alot of them.

brit.sm
Matured Bully

Postby brit.sm » Wed May 06, 2009 6:10 am

I think someone said this but how about the Kongs? Stuff them with peanut butter and hell spend a while trying to get the peanut butter out..at least thats safe to eat. And even better, freeze it, then it will take him longer to eat it out! Thats what I did and my boy LOVES it! Theres all sorts of sizes and shapes of the kongs to. I think your pup will love it, and the rubber is really tough so I doubt he could eat the rubber when hes done with the filling. :) (I think the black Kongs are the strongest..it says there meant for police dogs? If that means anything).
Our how about one of those RREALLY big bones!
Good Luck! :thumbsup:

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed May 06, 2009 10:12 am

I too have a shop- vac for a dog, Scooter..omg she sucks up eats EVERYTHING IN SIGHT. EVERRRRYYYYYYYTTThhhIIINNNGGGG....

*sigh*

the only thing I can leave her with is a nyla bone, the long one with what looks like a fist on the end. This she can knaw on and it seems to last.
Kongs, I dont trust her with unless I am there, I know Virgil can eat any kong if left too, so nyla bones are it when I am not home and able to watch em.

I finally had to either crate her forever when I was working or shuffling, but that felt like it was way to much, so I finally just dog proofed a room and it is "hers".
there is nothing in it she can eat,distruct. It has some blankets for her to lie on, nyla bone, tarps and papers down in case of a whooopsie, a window and thats about it.
Metal water dish, metal food/treat dish.

I can say "go to your room" and she now trots to her room, of course expecting a treat.....

Its the only way I can keep her safe!

dang shop vacs....

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Wed May 06, 2009 12:53 pm

brit.sm wrote:Our how about one of those RREALLY big bones!
Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Bones, especially one of those big cooked ones, should never be given without supervision since the dog can break pieces off with ease. I speak from personal experience here, too! lol

pits-r-luv
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pits-r-luv » Wed May 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Cow Hooves are pretty much the rage here at my house!!

FujiFig
Adolescent Bully

Postby FujiFig » Wed May 06, 2009 1:59 pm

I give him soup bones that aren't cooked but that's about if for bones. He actually can and has eaten whole nylabones so he doesn't get those anymore. He has an artichoke-shaped kong like thing so I'm gonna try putting peanutbutter in there before I go and get another one.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed May 06, 2009 3:22 pm

FujiFig wrote:I give him soup bones that aren't cooked but that's about if for bones. He actually can and has eaten whole nylabones so he doesn't get those anymore. He has an artichoke-shaped kong like thing so I'm gonna try putting peanutbutter in there before I go and get another one.

Good gravy, you got us beat by eating the nyla bone. So be careful with that kong, Virgil can chomp off chunks of any kong, but doesnt seem to with the nyla bone.
He actually hacked up some pieces of what looked like hard rubber of something I dont think I ever had lost..so I bet in the pound he ate chunks of a red kong...

Man these bullies! There is a blue kong that is see-able by xray, which might be a good choice for dogs like ours that eat everything.....

Return to “Training and Behavior”