Dog aggression

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
SadieLady
Super Bully

Dog aggression

Postby SadieLady » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:32 pm

I was just wondering how people with dog aggressive dogs deal with it. It obviously has to be hard right? I was just wondering this because Sadie still has time to become dog aggressive. If it does happen to be that she becomes DA I would like to be as prepared as I can be. I know that I will have to be very careful with her, but I just want to make sure that I am prepared as possible. My dog is my world and I want to protect her the best I can so any advice, or opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cheeky
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby cheeky » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:38 pm

It's not that hard, you just have to be uber-responsible and on your toes at all times. I keep my DA dog away from other dogs, even the other dogs in my home. He will tolerate one of my dogs but they are watched like hawks & never left alone together

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:52 pm

It's not that hard, you just have to be uber-responsible and on your toes at all times

I agree. With Shay, I don't even really think about it much anymore, as it has become habit keeping her safe and out of mishief. She can't be around Lilly at all and when taking her out in public, I always have to be aware of our surroundings.(loose dogs, etc.)

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:30 pm

It's all about management.

Stella is super DA, so I just make sure that other dogs are safe. She is ALWAYS on a leash outside (unless we're in a securely fenced yard), we steer clear of other dogs on walks, we certainly don't go to dog parks, etc.

She gets along great with a total of 3 dogs lol but she is still always supervised with them, and they are crated if we're gone.

It's not fun, no. And I'd prefer to not have to deal with DA, but you get used to it, and it's really not a big deal :thumbsup:

And she was DA at 12 weeks old, so I had to get used it to real quick lol

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:50 pm

I dunno.. I hate to paint a pretty picture. It is a big deal.
It sucks. It never goes away. its 24 - 7 management with ZERO mistakes, EVER!

This means nobody else has a "gee whoops" in my house.

Those dogs happily at the park, while their owners play frisbee, at their side trotting happily, tounge out, walking by other people with their dogs, will NEVER be you, if your dog is truely DA.

Every moment is "alert" every walk your eyes are peeled, your ears alert for that one stupid happy dog or owner who things your dog might want to play.
Its dirty looks from people when you tell them that the LEASHED under control dog at your side is about to eat their loose dog if it comes closer. Its the ability to kick that loose dog in the head so it doesnt get eaten by your dog as their owners are yelling what an A**hole you are.. :oops:

Its the stress of walking around the block in fear of that loose dog that might charge.

Its the two screens, one door and two windows broken or went thru trying to eat the loose doggy out in the road or the one that sadly walked up to your door.. Only to be chased away in a gruff of broken door , and for your dog to come back with a bloody mouth and no injuries.. :oops:

Its hook latches on the doors with baby gates in between the hall ways "just in case". Its scratches all the way down the doors from my dog trying to get THRU the door when he gets triggered.

Its the moment as your dog is in a fight for its life when you realize "oh sheet I have a real problem" as the blood is spraying and its beyond you how to break it up :frown: Until you almost choke your other dog to death to get it to let go..
(shudders..not a good day..)

no its not just "geee its ok"
Its work.

Ok.. I am going on 12 years living with my best buddy, who is DOG AGGRESSIVE.. not just here and there. its all the time management.

I wish people would think more about adding multiple dogs with a breed that is prone to dog aggression.
Sure there are levels of it.. some are selective, some are corrective, and some are just aggressive. period.
Pit bulls arent oreos..sometimes one is enough.
And for everyone that is dog aggressive, there are those who arent.

So prepare for the worse.. TRAIN for the BEST. But know that true dog aggression is WORK and it never goes away.

SadieLady
Super Bully

Postby SadieLady » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:35 pm

Thank you all for your advice. And I can only imagine how much work would be involved if Sadie was DA. She hasn't shown any signs yet. If ad og even growls at her she runs away. Even though she is not DA as of yet, I am on her all the time. DA is something that we as pitbull owners may have to deal with, and I want to be prepared. I will not love her any less at all, because that's just how it is. I will work as hard as I can to manage it if she does become DA. I can only hope doesn't. She is great on walks, besides her lunging at dogs trying to play with them, or lunging at people so she can lick them to death. We take her to these trails that are near the dog park, and she is very good. Other dogs will walk by and she only wants to play. Even if there is an aggressive dog on leash she will just tuck her tail and want to get out of there. So far so good, so lets just hope she doesn't become DA.

SadieLady
Super Bully

Postby SadieLady » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:35 pm

Thank you all for your advice. And I can only imagine how much work would be involved if Sadie was DA. She hasn't shown any signs yet. If ad og even growls at her she runs away. Even though she is not DA as of yet, I am on her all the time. DA is something that we as pitbull owners may have to deal with, and I want to be prepared. I will not love her any less at all, because that's just how it is. I will work as hard as I can to manage it if she does become DA. I can only hope doesn't. She is great on walks, besides her lunging at dogs trying to play with them, or lunging at people so she can lick them to death. We take her to these trails that are near the dog park, and she is very good. Other dogs will walk by and she only wants to play. Even if there is an aggressive dog on leash she will just tuck her tail and want to get out of there. So far so good, so lets just hope she doesn't become DA.

Finnigan
Bully Ambassador

Postby Finnigan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:37 pm

One of the benefits of raising a DA dog, is the extra set of eyeballs you get to grow in the back of your head lol

patty

Postby patty » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:23 pm

luvnstuff
:goodpost:

SadieLady
Super Bully

Postby SadieLady » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:31 pm

lol yeah I guess you were grow an extra pair of eyes! :P

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:57 pm

Finnigan wrote:One of the benefits of raising a DA dog, is the extra set of eyeballs you get to grow in the back of your head lol

I tell you, I think I grew a pair on my donkey too. :tongue:

cheeky
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby cheeky » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:50 am

I hope I wasnt painting a picture. It IS work, but it is not difficult IMO.

The key is ( in multiple dog households) is to know where all dogs are at ALL times. Justice is not really DA but she HATES Munkee ( and with good reason) My dogs are the 'out of site, out of mind' type. They dont try to get at each other unless they see each other. They know which room the other dog is in & they ignore that room. I cant use gates in my house because they would be able to see one another and would try to get through the gates. They are behind shut doors and are given equal 'out' time. My windows are not accessible to my dogs, I have furniture in front of them. They are not allowed to answer the door with me, they are made to sit away from the door before it is opened or they are removed from the room altogether if I KNOW a dog is out side. Munkee doesnt go on walks very often because my block is full of loose dogs. They are never allowed out doors alone, even in my fenced in back yard. They arent fence jumpers but there is always a first time.

I've been doing it so long that it is routine to all of us ( dogs included) so to me it isnt hard at all. It just takes management.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:00 am

Good post luvnstuff.

I hope it didn't sound to passive about it. I guess I'm just so used to it.

It's extremely important to manage your dog. That's really what it comes down to.

While I am ever vigilant and always will be, I still don't let it consume my life.

My dog is only triggered by the sight of other dogs though, not the smell or sound, and she gets along great with her housemates, so I suppose that makes it a bit "easier" for me then some...

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:14 am

cheeky wrote:Justice is not really DA but she HATES Munkee ( and with good reason) My dogs are the 'out of site, out of mind' type. They dont try to get at each other unless they see each other.

I've got the same situation. I don't really consider Pollyanna to be DA. She just hates Pandora. As long as you are vigilant and don't put them, and yourself, in a situation you can't control, it's totally workable.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:48 am

Very good post luv. I didn't mean to come across as if DA is nothing. It really has become a way of life. When the day comes and Shay is no longer here, I am actually going to be lost without her.
Lilly who will be 6 has never shown DA but I am always on guard with her. Bottom line is be responsible and do whatever it takes to keep your dog safe.

Return to “Training and Behavior”