A sign of protection, thats a new one.

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

A sign of protection, thats a new one.

Postby TahsSunny » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:31 am

Hey everyone!.

A week ago my aunty came over from Yas (Some where beyond Sydney) and I wasn't at home when my aunty got here, just my younger sister Amelia (by 2 years) and my aunty was with her. My sister and aunty walked into the yard and when they were at the back door I was told Sunny growled at my aunty and then nipped her at her heel before Amelia let Sunny know that it was alright and he could trust my aunty.

The reason I'm posting this is because I'm shocked Sunny did this because he's never once shown any protection over anyone in this family. I'm sure he has but silently and we haven't noticed it. I wasn't angry at him since he didn't know my aunty and this lady was with my sister, going into our house so he could have been thinking `Who's this lady with my family?'. Actually, over the past 3 months Sunnys been showing more signs of being protective over me and the family as he warns us now when new people are around and if anyone play punches me he's been pawing at them/mouthing at them sometimes and he's never done that before. Remember, Sunny never met my aunty for the whole 2 years and abit since he came here.

I'm just shocked he did that cause he has only just started to show his protective side. Makes me feel safer though since if I know he did that to my aunty, I reckon he'd be protective of me on the streets. Anyone else here have a dog that had not shown any type of protection over you untill acouple of years later and showed it?. I know dogs most likely will protect there owners if the owner needed it but it's the fact he's never shown a side of protection to him.

I just never thought I'd see the day he showed a sign that he was protecting some one in his family. Sunnys abit over 2 years, he's a Lab x Staffy x some sort of herding breed we think.

pits-r-luv
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pits-r-luv » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:53 am

I think he is being quite normal, I would discourage the nipping at the heels thing though. Keep it in check. He is really a pretty boy.

TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Postby TahsSunny » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:04 am

Thanks for your comment. o, I defiantly wont reward him for the heel biting, I will discourage him from doing that. :).

Return to “Training and Behavior”