Leaning on me...

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Maverick
Matured Bully

Leaning on me...

Postby Maverick » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:10 pm

This may seem like an odd, potential issue, but I think it may be significant and others have more than likely had experience here.
I have three dogs, two small and Maverick the PitBull. Everyone is allowed on the couch (I know I know) and everything works very well with no dominance issues. I want to sit, they immediately move by choice.
Maverick usually curls up next to my leg and is content. Tonight he was on kind of a "rubbing" his whole body on the couch by walking back and forth and arching like a cat and stretching. The other two do the same, and from what I understand it can be body scent marking, and relatively harmless.
Once he hops onto the couch Maverick stepped over me onto the armrest. I usually discourage the dogs from walking/standing on me, but Maverick was "straddling" me, if we can unperverse that notion and see it as it happened :)
He then just leaned his whole body and weight on me. He still wasn't standing on me, just leaning me into the couch cushion. I began laughing and he simply wagged his butt/tail and stayed there.
I pushed him off and didn't praise, or discourage it, since I wasn't sure what to make of it. Many may see it as affectionate, but I just want to make sure I am not experiencing a latent behavioural issue here. He is DA, and that is enough of an issue to deal with, I want to curb any others at the slightest hint.

Sorry for the long explanation - loving papa wants to do best for the kids :)

Amie

Re: Leaning on me...

Postby Amie » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:58 am

It's not a plot to take over the world. ;)

If you don't want him to do it for whatever reason, don't let him, but I wouldn't worry about it from a dominance level. More and more behaviorists are realizing that whole concept isn't quite what we've cracked it up to be.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:25 am

I agree with Amie.

I just wanted to add that in my albeit limited experience with pill bulls...they seem to believe they are light as a feather...and walking/stepping on you (which is somewhat reminiscent of the Salem witches being crushed to death)...in their minds...is more like the gossamer touch of a gentle breeze.

In other words, you may want to discourage it, if for no other reason than to simply preserve your internal organs. :))

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:48 am

2 of mine do it all the time, they have to be either on me or touching me when i am watching tv.. they lean, rub, kiss, then plop down and get comfortable on my lap...i wouldnt worry about it

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:09 am

I have a leaner, too. No matter where I am he's got to be smacked right up against me.

slic2121
Newborn Bully

Postby slic2121 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:16 am

lol...ya, Rocco does the same...he likes to be right on top of me when im watching tv, especially when everyone is sitting around relaxing..Hes quick to steal someones spot when they get up but moves when told..He likes to rub and lean before he eventually sits down...i was wondering the same thing..

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:38 pm

I like it when my pit bulls do that. Some of my friends aren't so thrilled about it, so in an ideal world I would put the behavior on cue. (Instead, I just don't invite those friends over).

geckogirly
Matured Bully

Postby geckogirly » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:42 pm

Yeah, my Newt is a leaner too. Especially when we're relaxing on the couch. His favorite is to lean on you with his butt...goof!

-Andrea ;)

Maverick
Matured Bully

Postby Maverick » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:44 pm

I honestly don't mind at all.
He too needs to be touching me, almost all the time. I don't care because he is really light - he just needs to look where he is stepping, ie. on my genitals and on the smaller dogs on the couch since the headstrong beagle mix would rather be squashed than move sometimes, lol.

So long as no one sees this as a dominance issue, I am relieved.
I only cropped up this notion because he is DA and when he is "red" he leans on my leg and I have had trainers tell me that he draws courage from my touch and can make it worse.
Not the same, but a similar level, which is why I asked.

Thanks so much!

BTW - I don't usually have too many people over, and if you don't like my dogs, you are not welcome.
I did in fact tell a "friend" years ago to leave and never speak to me again because he didn't trust my Pit and said "They should all be destroyed and can never be trusted." I showed him the door fast - my dogs are family and they come first :)

Cheers,
Nick

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:42 pm

unfortunately pit bulls have the bad rap of thinking they are light as feathers as they do pancreatic punches, kidney kicks, stepping on genitals repeatedly... its just one of the hazards of owning one... i tell my husband all the time to get a cup since ruby likes to pile drive him in his privates when she walks over him or jumps on him in bed.. me, i prefer the kidney kickers myself.. its a good wake up call in the morning, nothing beats an alarm clock like a squirmy pitbull kicking off your kidneys to propel herself on the bed as fast as she can.... even my rottie would do the lean and kidney kickers... i wouldnt worry about it sounds typical to me..

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:05 pm

Sounds cute!

Peanut also thinks she's a little lightweight dog...

Theresa_M
Matured Bully

Postby Theresa_M » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:19 pm

Nandy is a leaner, but only with me. Leans against my legs while I'm standing in the kitchen having my morning coffee, leans against my legs or lays on my feet while I'm on the computer, does a sitting lean while next to me on the couch. She also stands and straddles my legs when I'm on the couch so the side of her body is in my face. Everyone in the house knows that Nandy really, really, really loves mom and it's just normal behavior for her. It would only bother me if she didn't respond to 'get down' or 'no' when I'm not in the mood for her stalking lol

Maverick
Matured Bully

Postby Maverick » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:37 pm

It's funny you say that about Nandy.
My two boys follow me around, Mav and the ChiX Schnapps. So codependent.
Although it's funny because in the kitchen if I am doing anything except cooking, Maverick will sit behind me facing away with his bum touching my feet. He ALWAYS does this, almost as if he is guarding me - I always say, he's got my back, lol.

Especially now, leaning is adorable. Pits are giant Chihuahuas (at least they think they are small ones)

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:57 pm

Theresa_M wrote:when I'm not in the mood for her stalking lol

roflmao

Arnolds not much of a leaner in the house but when out working when we stop a heel he'll lean into me and place his paw atop my foot. My first trainer was very against this behavior but I have yet to see it develope into a problem 5 yrs down the road.

Theresa_M
Matured Bully

Postby Theresa_M » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:18 pm

Adrianne wrote:
Arnolds not much of a leaner in the house but when out working when we stop a heel he'll lean into me and place his paw atop my foot. My first trainer was very against this behavior but I have yet to see it develope into a problem 5 yrs down the road.

Nandy does the paw thing with me, Honey with me & the boys in the house. I've read that it can be either a dominating action or simply affection. I guess it depends on the individual dog.

Return to “Training and Behavior”