Two Pits - Weird Story

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
PinKster
Matured Bully

Two Pits - Weird Story

Postby PinKster » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:09 pm

I had an episode that occurred last year while I was fostering, between Sadie and Bella.

Bella - a puppy we purchased and rehomed.

Sadie was my foster, this was back before I adopted her.

This happened so long ago, but sometimes I wonder what was really happening.

Bella and Sadie were out back with me. They were playing and rough housing like usual, until Bella Started Gasping. I ran over and Sadie was pulling on her collar and trying to drag her. Bella's collar was a material choke collar, used for her for obedience class. Sadie actually had the part to tighten it around Bella's neck, and she was being choked. I tried t get it out of Sadie's mouth but she either wouldn't release or it was caught in her mouth.

Bella started having serious breathing issues with a black tongue and white gums, I knew she was gonna die if I didn't get it out soon. I ran inside and grabbed some meat. It didn't even phase Sadie, she was just trying to drag Bella or get away, making the collar tighten. I ran inside to grab scissors and when I went to go back outside they were apart and both fine.

I wonder about this often, did Sadie have the determination not to let go? I mean, I know Sadie didn't know how to use the choke collar in an attempt to suffocate Bella. But is this where they get the "locking jaw" theory?

They didn't fight, no growls were exchanged, just refusal to release the collar.....any input?

Red
Addicted to PBF

Re: Two Pits - Weird Story

Postby Red » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:33 pm

It is possible that one of Sadie's teeth was stuck in the collar somehow. The reason why I started to have my dogs wear quick release plastic buckle collars when they play, or no collars.It is not uncommon for a dog's teeth to get stuck on a collar and when you have a regular collar it takes time to open it up. With a buckle collar you just click it open and you are done. Never have dogs wear choke collars unless they are being walked or worked. Even if the dogs are just playing pulling on a choke collar is dangerous.I don't think that Sadie meant harm by what you described.

PinKster
Matured Bully

Re: Two Pits - Weird Story

Postby PinKster » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:43 pm

Thanks! I have been truly wanting to believe that!! I didn't want to assume Sadie was refusing to release even with my commanding her to do so, but I have always wondered if she had just gotten carried away in the moment.

I DO NOT use those collars anymore and have been educated others as well.

Return to “Training and Behavior”