Stay off bed until told

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
jimbojones
Newborn Bully

Stay off bed until told

Postby jimbojones » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:06 pm

Hello, just curious how some people go about teaching your dogs to stay off the bed. I'm looking to keep things as positive as possible, and get the dog to wait till it is called to get on the bed....doggy manners. She is leashed now so physically she can not get up there until I allow her, but @ 7 months old I am sure the second she is cut loose she will just jump up. Just looking for some ideas on how people have approached this (preventing the situation and how they would correct/remove/etc after the fact). Thanks

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Re: Stay off bed until told

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:38 pm

its a losing battle, you will see... it will work fine, then one night, your dog will crawl into the bed and smush against you... and that will be it... you will give in to the pit bull warmth and snuggles... just accept defeat now, its easier that way, less of a pain to deal with... just accept the inevitable and join the rest of us... its ok, we all understand our weaknesss.... join us...

you keep her on leash.. every time she gets on the bed just take the leash and say No ____ (insert name of dog) off the bed.. take her off and then praise good girl . you can teach the wait command, and she can go on the bed after that, or make her do a trick or paw or something then on the bed.. it takes a while for some dogs to get it,some get it faster then others..

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:10 pm

I can offer no help.

Since I always wanted my dog on the couch and the bed; I bought her ramps when she was a puppy so she could get up on her own.

Guess what...now I have a 3 year old dog that either doesn't know she can jump on furniture; or secretly thinks it's insanely amusing to have us "boost" her. The ramp against the bed slipped a few times, so now...while she will use it to get off the bed on her own...she jumps up with 2 paws and looks over shoulder and waits for us to boost her up.

She will use the ramp to get on and off the couch.

She also never figured out she can jump into the backseat of the car on her own. That now also requires a boost.

So if the above scenario appeals to you...perhaps I can help :))

Otherwise...Good luck and Godspeed!

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:31 pm

If you want the pup to stay off the bed when you're not around, just shut the door to the bedroom when you're not there. And teach her that when you are around, she should jump up on the bed when you say "up!" and then jump off the bed when you say "off!"

Make a really fun game of this, with tons of treats and praise, so she loves jumping off as much as she loves jumping on. Then give in and enjoy having a dog snuggle against you on those long cold nights.

And buy a cheap sheet to keep the dog hair off your nice bedspread!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:51 am

I agree with ME and Jazzy....I have no real advice or help. Khan snuggled under the covers his first night home. of course at that point we were sleeping on the floor in an extra bedroom. Because I didn't want to upset the 4 cats sleeping on my bed and make them move roflmao I know sleep with Khan under the covers in bed and 1-4 cats in bed also. I have given in to the fact that I will have to sleep in odd positions as to not disturb them :))

twilliams558
Adolescent Bully

Postby twilliams558 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:08 am

i also have to agree with ME, Jazzy and FBODGR. Once oliver discovered the nice soft bed with pillows it was all over. I now have to sleep in the oddest postions, usually with half my body hanging off my queen sized bed. I have one cat sleep on top of my head, one cat sleeps on the right side of the bed and dog well he just sleeps where ever his big butt wants too. For instance last night it was all pit bull tail and legs on one of the cats. I guess he thought the cat was a nice fuzzy pillow. roflmao

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:47 am

Saint is not allowed in my bed. I do not like dog hair in my bed. Bleck. He doesn't try to get up there because he's never been allowed up.

He is only allowed on the sofa if I invite him. I taught him this by having him sit in front of the sofa and tell him to "Stay." I get on the sofa and get comfortable (rearrange the pillows, get a blanket, etc.) when I'm all settled I tell him "Okay!" and he hops up. Then you have to practice getting him off. I'll keep a jar of treats next to the sofa. At first, I had to gently help nudge him off the sofa. I would tell him "Off" when all four paws were on the ground, "Good off!" then treats.

Over and over again, with daily practice.

Now when he sees me getting settled on the sofa, he sits in front of me and stares, waiting for me to tell him "okay". It's pretty cute.

I'm sure you can do the same thing with your bed.

HollyJoy
Super Bully

Postby HollyJoy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:56 am

kmcamara wrote:I do not like dog hair in my bed. Bleck.

Oh come on! It's good for what ails yah!
I have to change the sheets before my SO come home from traveling because my new boy sleeps not only on the bed, but but nestled against/on my SO's pillow, so he can rest his face right next to mine. He is a very considerate dog; he does this so I may give him kisses without disturbing my sleeping position.

Back on topic. If you don't want her on the bed, don't ever allow her on the bed. Physically restrain her / restrict her access to the bed (with leash or barrier). This is hard to do in the middle of the night when you're sleeping, so you may have to remove your dog from the room at night. Trust me, the first time they slip onto the bed so quiet sneaky, and you wake up with your arms around them and furry face cuddling with you... it's all over.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:59 pm

We've never let Peanut on the bed. We tried letting her on the sofa - that lasted 2 days cause she wouldn't settle.

We crate Peanut at night - normally downstairs - but with our ac out we took her crate, a dogbed and a water bowl into our bedroom where we installed a room ac. She's fine.

We also taught her 'wait' by making her 'wait' for meals and treats. We release her and she can eat. My DH used that to teach her to wait till we 'ok' her and let her go up/down the stairs so she won't bowl me over. So now that she knows wait, theoretically we could use that to get her on the bed. She has a very solid 'off' - she doesn't even try to get on the furniture anymore.

jimbojones
Newborn Bully

Postby jimbojones » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:01 pm

Thanks everyone, its all been a great help!

NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby NorCalRose » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:28 pm

We allowed the dogs on the furniture and rotated them sleeping with us. One night with us while the other slept in the crate. BIG mistake. They took over. One dog can take over an entire California King. They treated the furniture like it was theirs. They mauled guests with licking and general luvin' 'em up. Not to mention trying to sit in their laps. We would have to drag them off and send them to their crates. We had enough.

We shut the bedroom door and crate them both at night. Off the furniture took a while. We trained them by standing up when they jumped on the furniture and telling them "off". We would lure them off with a treat and mark when their four feet hit the floor with Yes, then give them the yummy treat. Next we had them sleep at our feet in down stays.

After several months, they will now sit and "ask" if they can get on the furniture. They must ask and we must give permission. If we say up and pat the cushion they will join us for a snuggle. We don't always say yes. When we get up, the dog must get off of the furniture with us.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:55 am

This is just a funny aside:

I remember 1 time before we had our pit bull, we still had our (fairly elderly at the time) Basset Hound.

My husband and his friend had gone to the store. When they came back they found me and the friend's wife sitting on the floor leaning our backs against the couch watching TV. On the couch was our Basset Hound sprawled out lengthwise and snoring loudly.

I did offer to move her, but the friend's wife was very much like me; and we both felt she looked way too comfortable to move. :))

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:17 am

roflmao

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:46 am

NorCalRose wrote:They must ask and we must give permission. If we say up and pat the cushion they will join us for a snuggle. We don't always say yes. When we get up, the dog must get off of the furniture with us.

Yep, that's how it works here too.

It's a lot nicer when I have company over. For some strange reason, not everyone wants a heavy, clumsy pit bull crawling all over them. Who knew? :tongue:

Finnigan
Bully Ambassador

Postby Finnigan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:50 am

My dogs are not permitted on the bed. A boundary that has been consistent, so the dogs respect that and never try getting on. :thumbsup: Consistency is key. It gets tricky if dogs are allowed up sometimes and not other times. If the owners aren't around to let them know yes or no, how are they to know??:dunno:

Return to “Training and Behavior”