Only accidents after swimming???

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
geckogirly
Matured Bully

Only accidents after swimming???

Postby geckogirly » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:29 pm

Ok, I think this is a little odd, but since so many posted on how our pits eat grass (for example) I thought maybe someone else on here has experienced this phenomenon.

Ok, so Newton is totally house broken...EXCEPT if he's been in the lake. It could be weeks in between swims, but its afterwards he has the accident.

Always a different place in the house, and this past weekend on my bed........GRRRRRRRR.

So, I can only think that maybe he is drinking half the lake and even though I make sure he goes before we come back in the house that he has drank so much he has to go again and doesn't even realize it himself. I say this because the times it's happened there is no warning...no pacing or asking to be let out...he just squats wherever he happens to be.

This past weekend was the 4th incident. Newt was adopted back in November, and other than one other time having an accident (which was completely SA related) he's had no other accidents.

Anybody else experience this? I'm going to try leaving him out in his yard AT LEAST a half hour after lake visits from now on...and not just bring him in after he's dried off and has gone potty once.

-Andrea ;)

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Re: Only accidents after swimming???

Postby Sarah » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:13 pm

Dogs tend to wind up accidentally ingesting a lot of water when they swim, and usually have to pee a lot for awhile afterwards.

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:27 pm

Tank used to do this. He would go swimming and when we got home water would spew from both ends. He had issues with regurgitating water in the first place and after being determined to drink half of the lake... well when he would finally relax he would gurgle burp and gag up slicks of slimy water and pee wherever he happened to be standing at the time, it was almost like his bladder was getting too full too fast for him to ask to go outside to potty.
We would just take him outside and find a cool place to relax when we got home, when we lived in the apt this meant me taking a book and tying him out under a tree long enough so that he could gag and pee till he felt better, usually about an hour and he would be fine. After we moved into the house we would just tie him out in the yard for a while and give him a dry sncak before he came back in, an hour was his usual time frame, your dog may have a shorter or longer time needed to get rid of the excess, try hanging out outside for a while after or keeping him out of the water for a while before you leave the lake.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:31 am

Sarah wrote:Dogs tend to wind up accidentally ingesting a lot of water when they swim, and usually have to pee a lot for awhile afterwards.

Yup, I had the exact same problem and then realized D was swallowing too much water. Take him out about 20 and 40min after swimming to relieve himself.

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:06 pm

ALL of my dogs are barred from ALL carpeted areas in my house for 24 hours following a lake or creek trip!

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:14 pm

Red doesn't pee after ingesting a lot of water, she barfs. lol I took her to the vet awhile back for this and he said that it was nothing to be concerned about.Just to limit her water intake after swimming and IF I start to see her tummy swell up with water, you can with her usaully, to not let her get back in for a while. Hard to do with an intense water dog.

Courtney

HollyJoy
Super Bully

Postby HollyJoy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:16 pm

This is only a mildly amusing subject. I'm sure I will experience water backlog in some form sooner or later.
Brutus hasn't peed after swimming, but he is a random vomiter. I suppose I should expect more of it after swimming. Just tonight he wretched slime and grass and pizza crust into my pocket when i was on the couch eating dinner.

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:36 pm

HollyJoy wrote:This is only a mildly amusing subject. I'm sure I will experience water backlog in some form sooner or later.
Brutus hasn't peed after swimming, but he is a random vomiter. I suppose I should expect more of it after swimming. Just tonight he wretched slime and grass and pizza crust into my pocket when i was on the couch eating dinner.

roflmao Tank always went for shoes, laps and pockets. I guess he figured if he was gonna yack up some warm slimy nastyness he was gonna make sure you were miserable too.

geckogirly
Matured Bully

Postby geckogirly » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:11 am

Thanks for all the replies guys! Makes me feel much better that this is somewhat 'normal'. I'll just be sure to leave him outside a LONG time after he gets to go to the lake. :thumbsup:

I certainly don't want him having another accident on my bed. It's bad enough the dumb cat thinks that is the best place to throw up or hack up a hairball :crybaby:

-Andrea ;)

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:25 pm

HollyJoy wrote:This is only a mildly amusing subject. I'm sure I will experience water backlog in some form sooner or later.

wow that was really funny to read roflmao I'm sorry that happened to you!

Now that I've moved into my new apartment with NO CARPETS!!! YESS!! :nana: I don't have to follow Maili around like a hawk after she's been to a lake...I do try to take her out very often afterwards because she'll pee like a horse for a while.

Return to “Training and Behavior”