AHHH, a popcan! AHHH, a grocery bag!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
geckogirly
Matured Bully

AHHH, a popcan! AHHH, a grocery bag!

Postby geckogirly » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:43 pm

Yeah, title pretty much explains it. Anytime Newt bumps into anything and it moves or makes a noise he freaks.

Is there any way to make him relax a little more? He's on Anti-anxiety meds for his SA, but he still freaks out about little things.

The poor boy runs into walls, couch, chair, knees ( :po: ) whatever to get away, and I'm afraid he's going to really hurt himself one of these days (or one of his humans!).

Thanks guys.

-Andrea ;)

Amie

Re: AHHH, a popcan! AHHH, a grocery bag!

Postby Amie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:58 pm

Anytime Liberty explores something on her own, she gets praise. Anytime she makes it past a new item, even if she shies away, she gets praise. So she's getting praise for being fearful and for pushing past the fear.

She's at least a thousand times better than she was three months ago. Yesterday we made it through an entire (4 mile) walk with only one scare - an evil rock that she had to leave two feet of space between her and it in order to walk around.

geckogirly
Matured Bully

Re: AHHH, a popcan! AHHH, a grocery bag!

Postby geckogirly » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:28 pm

Thanks Amie.

Over the weekend we spent around 20 mins opening a box of reptile supplies I'd ordered. By the end he decided it wasn't scary, and instead a treat dispenser...but reguardless, I was very happy to see his head stuck in the box rather than running across the room from the 'scary' thing.

Sooo, baby steps! There was a lot of noisy paper in that box, so I was especially proud! :thumbsup:

-Andrea ;)

Return to “Training and Behavior”