How to deal with a constant barker

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
goldenstatefan
Newborn Bully

How to deal with a constant barker

Postby goldenstatefan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:28 pm

I have a 5- 1/2 month female pit bull who constantly barks when she is not around family. Put her outside in the dog run or crate her and it's constant barking. I HAVE to break her of this habit. I've tried bitter apple as a deterrent when she barks but I need something that will work. Bark Collars? Anyone? Please help.

amelie
Matured Bully

Re: How to deal with a constant barker

Postby amelie » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:16 pm

maybe try really, really tiring her out before kenneling her (running, fetching, whatever she likes to do), and give her a big bone to chew on in the crate/kennel.

louie
Adolescent Bully

Postby louie » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:06 am

You can try to capture Barking by click and treating. Once a behavior is captured, dogs learn that there's a time and place to do it. You can also try to capture the silence after she's done barking.

Her crate should be in a room (with a door) that's far from a main area of the house. If she's crated and barking, you can covering the crate with a blanket and closing the door.

If you ignore the barking long enough, meaning no corrections, no shouting, no touching, etc., it may stop since she's not being rewarded.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:24 pm

My dog (Button) doesn't bark when he's alone, but he barks constantly when someone IS home. It's starting to get hard to ignore the bad behavior, since we live in a townhouse and we do have neighbors. I'd love to hear what people have done that has worked for problem barkers.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:51 pm

goldenstatefan - could try citronella collar. worked well for a friend.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:03 pm

We have used bark collars with some success, depending on the dog, and the situation, if it's "over barking" or what, and if the dog can tolerate the collar.
We have a constant barker who we must have 'wrecked' as a pup, he barks constantly when we're home, like, after dinner.
But we let them out (eventually) and I know he thinks he got out because he barked.
We got them vibrating bark collars but the danged batteries ran out within a day or two :dunno:
They did work while they were on...!

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:50 pm

ya, definitely depends on the dog, worked for my friend's dog like a charm which was a good thing as neighbour was complaining to animal control and needed to be dealt with as such.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Please find yourself a behavior consultant or experienced trainer who does not use force or coercion. Spraying your dog with bitter apple certainly did not help your situation. That stuff usually has alcohol or PG in it. Not cool or safe to do that sort of thing. Imagine what it feels like getting sprayed in the face with alcohol. This barking is a management issue and you should consider having someone help you one on one.

Return to “Training and Behavior”