Excessive Whining???

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Fresh
Newborn Bully

Excessive Whining???

Postby Fresh » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:26 pm

Here is a little background. A while back my fiance and I and went to the a shelter just to look around and we came across a red pit bull named Ace my fiance fell in love and I told the shelter when he get his shots give me a call. This past Friday they gave me a call said he is up to date on his shots. Needless to say we will not be getting a rott from my friend because we brought home Ace at 13 weeks. Jasmin and Ace get along great. My question is how to stop his EXCESSIVE WHINING? He whines until you pick him up then he whines again when you put him down. He whines to a point where he starts cry barking (if that makes sense) its not like we left him alone we are right in front of his face. I know it has to do something with being left alone it has gotten simi better of the weekend but its still real bad. Any ideas of how to stop or lower the amount of whining he does. Thanx

Ace at 13 weeks

Amie

Re: Excessive Whining???

Postby Amie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:31 pm

Fresh wrote:He whines until you pick him up then he whines again when you put him down.

Assuming he is healthy and there's no pain causing this, I'd say it sounds like your smart and cute little fellow trained people to give him attention when he whines! Good job, Ace!

Fresh
Newborn Bully

Postby Fresh » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:40 pm

Yea he is healthy my fiance falls for it every time. I dont know if its because she wants him to be quiet or she feels sorry either way it goes your right he knows what he is doing.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:45 pm

If you completely ignore it, no attention at all, no words, no sounds, no eye contact, it will get worse, and then stop.

If you keep giving him attention, he'll keep whining,

Fresh
Newborn Bully

Postby Fresh » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:56 pm

Amie wrote:If you completely ignore it, no attention at all, no words, no sounds, no eye contact, it will get worse, and then stop.

If you keep giving him attention, he'll keep whining,

Thanx for the help

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:03 pm

Do be prepared for it to get worse - it's called an extinction burst. To anthropomorphize, the dog says "when I whine, they pick me up - wait - I'm whining, and they aren't picking me up! They must not hear me! I'd better whine louder/faster/higher/more pathetically! Still not working. Damn." and then it stops.

So you have to have resolve to get through that bad phase.
:))

Fresh
Newborn Bully

Postby Fresh » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:17 pm

hahaha...damn i have to laugh to keep from crying but drastic cause cause for drastic measure

CSilverman89
Forum Junky

Postby CSilverman89 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:45 pm

Amie wrote:Do be prepared for it to get worse - it's called an extinction burst. To anthropomorphize, the dog says "when I whine, they pick me up - wait - I'm whining, and they aren't picking me up! They must not hear me! I'd better whine louder/faster/higher/more pathetically! Still not working. Damn." and then it stops.

So you have to have resolve to get through that bad phase.
:))

Oh, and it will get worse.
Dover is fine in the house, fine in buildings, but take him somewhere out in the open? Camping/Parks/Baseball fields/ etc, if you walk away from him, this exact thing happens. Even if people look at you like you're killing your dog, you have to ignore it, or else it will never stop.

Good luck, it's a pain, but they get the idea pretty quick! :))

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:30 pm

And when she says it "stops" she doesn't mean right away eaither. It may take a few days, even weeks. But you can never, ever give in. One slip sets you right back to where you began.

And make sure you don't accidently reinforce the behavior.

For example...

lets say you feed him at 6pm. Lets say he's been whining for an hour, and it's 6. You may feed him because this is when you normally feed him. You may not consider this "giving in" because your reason for feeding is not becuase he's whining.

But to him, it will mean the same thing.

That was just an example...any interaction of any sort while he is whining will simply reinforce the behavior.

Fresh
Newborn Bully

Postby Fresh » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:29 pm

Gatorpit wrote:And when she says it "stops" she doesn't mean right away eaither. It may take a few days, even weeks. But you can never, ever give in. One slip sets you right back to where you began.

And make sure you don't accidently reinforce the behavior.

For example...

lets say you feed him at 6pm. Lets say he's been whining for an hour, and it's 6. You may feed him because this is when you normally feed him. You may not consider this "giving in" because your reason for feeding is not becuase he's whining.

But to him, it will mean the same thing.

That was just an example...any interaction of any sort while he is whining will simply reinforce the behavior.

Thanks I didnt realize that...he has calmed down a little bit but still a long ways to go.

Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Scarsmommy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:30 pm

we are going through the same thing with Salem while crate training her. She will be fine when playing around the house and the minute we put her in the crate she starts the whining.. so we do like we did when my girls were little.. ignore them.. there are points where you just want to scream... but just count to ten.. take a deep breath.. and walk away. Eventually Ace will get the poing that the whining will get him no where. Good luck and remember lots of patience :thumbsup:

April
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby April » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:52 pm

Best advice is to ignore it to a certain point, if after 1 month ace doesn't stop you might want to get a dog trainer to see what they can do for you.

Return to “Training and Behavior”