She gets it!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Re: She gets it!

Postby Kingsgurl » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:59 am

Fantastic! I can see the wheels turning in her mind as she tries to figure it all out! She looks great. At this point, I wouldn't be afraid to help her out a bit and if she is a little wide of Heel or a little crooked, step into her so that she is in the correct position before marking it. (but I am no expert) The clicker makes it easier! (Martin is scared of the stupid clicker roflmao )

Can't wait to see more!

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:53 pm

Kingsgurl I took video of us practicing our figure 8 too (as well as practicing agility in the gallery). Since going "back to basics" with Sarah's video she's been looking at me a lot more often during her heel and doing MUCH better with her slow downs and sits when stopping. I'm excited :headbang:

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:39 pm

It's addicting, isn't it? She looks great. I love your video's! She is stopping nicely and her finish at the end is sweet. My trainer has us work on 'foundation, foundation, foundation' :) (She is awesome, I'm very lucky to be able to work with her) The intial Heel sequence we started with was just asking for a step or two with attention, reward, release, repeat. Maili looks like she has a tendency to lag at times, do you ever use toys? Sometimes toys get them revved up better and you can use them to teach them to really drive into Heel.
I would start tightening your circles too, so she starts to learn the body cues associated with turns (your shoulder naturally turns) as well as rear end awareness.

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:18 am

Ooh that looks really good...nice tight heeling with the cones...yes we definitely need to work on that.

Actually I was teaching Maili stand this morning and for the hell of it I asked her to heel and she actually heeled off leash (took me by surprise!!!)...so I took a video...but I posted it on my facebook and not here cause I thought I was posting her videos too often lol. But since you talked abut tightening things up I thought I may as well post it now. She was actually better than I thought. I didn't know she would even heel off leash.

Btw thanks so much for watching her videos and giving us good feedback. She's gotten SO much better with her heel :)

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:57 am

Awesome! Her stand looks great too. I wouldn't worry about posting all the vids you want in this thread, I think I ran everyone else off with my boring vids roflmao
I see a ton of improvement in just this past week, it's so exciting!

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:47 am

Haha competitive obedience is exciting! How dare they think it might boring :tongue:
Yeah she improved a lot already...now we need to practice our stand for examination which will be HARD. She's very very wiggly.
In class this past Wednesday we all were in a tight circle, sat our dogs and told them to stay, then went to the dog on the left and pet him, then went back to our dog, then went to the dog on the right and pet him. Maili got the wiggles and when she did the person had to stop petting her and I went back to her with a firm "no, stay!" She actually DID NOT MOVE the 3rd time she was pet. It gave me hope for the future stand for examination LOL

GusBus
Matured Bully

Postby GusBus » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:27 pm

Okay i havent exactly read or watched every video in this thread, but i was skimming through and Holy COW! Maili is all grown up, when did that happen?! Those videos totally show how big she has grown.

And Paige, your close enough that if i ever find out where you live, you might end up with a 75lb package on your front doorstep with a note saying he would like to be trained and ill be back to pick him up in a week. ( okay, lets be honest he may need to be with you for more than a week lol )

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:56 pm

Oh my! A 75lb and 42lb dog + one 10lb cat in my apartment all at the same time? That sounds like a good time! LOL

Maili looks like a monster in the close up videos. Sometimes she looks so bully and other times she looks like a whippet...I don't really get it :huh?:

Are you near L.A? Playdate! lol

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:58 pm

Of course only now do I read that you're in Orange County :oops: That is close!

GusBus
Matured Bully

Postby GusBus » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:09 pm

Heck, ill just send my kitty along too, he could definitely use some training! haha

And yes were close, so maybe one of these weekends (after the holidays probably, cuz things are hectic over here) we can get together and go hiking, Gus would loveee it.

TB
Adolescent Bully

Postby TB » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:01 pm

Haha competitive obedience is exciting! How dare they think it might boring

Absolutely! Competitive obedience is incredibly challenging, as well, trying to make the artificial exercises rewarding and fun for the dog, and building in a high level of precision and consistency. Glad you and Maili are having fun!!

Return to “Training and Behavior”