"Scent stakes" do they actually work?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
goldenstatefan
Newborn Bully

"Scent stakes" do they actually work?

Postby goldenstatefan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:06 am

Saw something the other day: A plastic looking stake which goes partially into the ground and, supposedly gives off a scent to make dogs urinate/defecate in a certain area. Anyone seen these things and do they work?

Red
Addicted to PBF

Re: "Scent stakes" do they actually work?

Postby Red » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:17 am

The so called "pee post".I bought one a while ago and frankly the post only encourages dogs to pee by it but nothing to rely on.

goldenstatefan
Newborn Bully

Postby goldenstatefan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:22 am

Hmmmm

Hoyden
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Hoyden » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:30 am

Nope. Useless in my personal opinion.

What DID work though was training my dogs to pee where I wanted them to. I took them out on a leash one at a time, took them where I wanted them the dog to "do outside" and stood there until they went. Then I verbally marked the action & gave the dog a treat.

Then take dog #2 outside. Of course they just HAVE to check P-mail, so dog #2 goes where dog #1 went.

When they got used to going where I wanted them to, I started going outside with them on a longer lead, then off leash.

My female goes on command, where I tell her to. Then again she is a service dog, so she can't decide to pee in the store or some other place that is inappropriate.

If you don't have another dog, you can make your potty spot interesting by asking a neighbor to have their dog potty there.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:30 am

It is possible that it might help you to train your dog to pee in a certain area so something to try.It is cheap so if it does not work it is not a big deal.I have 5 dogs here, males and females, so of course plenty of smells to check out , which makes it hard to expect them to go only in one area of the yard unless I go out with them and ask them to pee on cue. I just don't care enough to be consistent with it.The yard is free for them to do what they want.

Return to “Training and Behavior”